Oliver Update and Issues with Fancy Feast?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by riebejamen, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riebejamen

riebejamen New Member

Has anyone had 'issues' with Fancy Feast pate? Oliver's poop has become less solid, and more smelly. I haven't been able to pin down if it is b/c of flavor (ie recipe) , or his only needing insulin every once in a while. There is a flavor that seems to upset his stomach, either turkey & giblets or beef & chicken. I haven't narrowed it down. I've been hesitant to test my theory, as he vomited the last time he ate it. He seems to love the fish flavors, so I feed those and an occasional non fish. Smelly messy poop could be more the fish, and the oils.
    Don't know that I mentioned it in last thread, Oliver has developed ataxia. Vet has ruled out FLV, inner ear issues; she doesn't think his cataracts are the issue, either. Testing for Valley Fever and CT scan of his head are left. She says Valley Fever is uncommon in cats. And CT obviously has to go to neurologist, specialty vet. Probably means $$. He is on 1/4 tab of 25 mg of meclizine for dizziness and nausea. Which is making a difference. Could the ataxia be related to diabetes? He's handling being pill-ed well, his gait is close to normal as long as he he doesn't run. Dental/teeth issue is on hold, she doesn't want to put him under anesthesia with neurological issue(s). Thoughts?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I have had no issues with the FF Pates
    My cat eats Liver and Chicken
    Beef
    Chicken
    Prayers for Oliver :bighug:

riebejamen likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I feed FF pates (non diabetic kitteth) She love her beef and chicken but I havent found ANY turkey and giblets for months! Its just no longer on the shelves here. I was wondering if they quietly recalled it. This makes me wonder all the more.

riebejamen likes this.
  4. riebejamen

riebejamen New Member

Good thought, I didn't find anything recalled on FF, only that certain flavors of the "Appetizer series" were discontinued.....in 2015. Did find that other brands have been recalled...

I am thinking that maybe Oliver has had 'too much' fish flavored, I gave him Turkey and Giblets about 1/2 hour ago. So far, all is quiet. GOOD sign!

Thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I know :rolleyes: those are Zoes favorites. Shes in stage 1 kidney failure and shouldnt have ANY fish. sigh. I am now introducing Wureva and Merrick foods. So far so good.

riebejamen likes this.
  6. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

My cat Maggie gets the smelliest poops and sometimes diarrhea if she eats anything with chicken in it. We feed Fancy Feast, but only the non-chicken-containing flavors. But be aware, just because the name of the food or flavor doesn't include chicken, many many brands and flavors ALSO contain chicken as one of their main ingredients. So frustrating!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.