OLIVER Post Hypo 2/2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shelley & Oliver, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley & Oliver

Shelley & Oliver Well-Known Member

Hi, this morning,
    Advice?
    Oliver is at 506. Should I give him 0.5 like yesterday morning. I want to mention we will be in the car for 5 or 6 hours today, I will test him as I can, but it won’t be as consistent as yesterday. Yesterday, you suggested I do the same dose as yesterday, if his AMPS was up, and it is, though not as high as yesterday. All information in spreadsheet

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/members/shelley-oliver.32206/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Reason for edit: Adding yesterday’s link
  2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Shelley. It looks like you have duplicate condos for today. That can get confusing if folks are replying to both. I think you can delete the other condo as long as no one posts to it. Or you can have a moderator delete it for you by adding "Duplicate - Please Delete" to your Subject Line.

I think giving the 0.5 this morning should be fine, as long as he's eating and acting okay (no throwing up or lethargy). Did you already give the insulin? It looks like you did already, in your spreadsheet.

Are you bringing a litter box for him on the drive?

3. Shelley & Oliver

I did go ahead and give it to him. He is acting like himself and ate well. Thanks! I will go find that other thread. Not sure how I did that ! Thank you

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Please add the link to yesterday's condo to the first post in this one.

Good luck at WalMart if that's where you're going. Don't forget to pick up some ketone test strips, and lots of tests strips for the meter you're buying.

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Does Oliver travel well in the car?
    I recommend bringing the meter and strips you have and some honey just in case. His carrier, bed or blankie, and some food if he'll eat. If he doesn't eat, that's why the mention of meter and honey.
    I have experience in traveling with diabetic cats. Let me know if you have any questions. I always kept mine in harness and leash and also seat belt fastened into a hard sided carrier. That steep drive you have :nailbiting: I guess you're used to it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Shelley & Oliver

Oliver travels in his crate which he loves so much he sleeps in it for naps sometimes. :). The honey is, and had been, since Saturday fiasco in the car, ha, and I have his meter and strips in my purse. He does travel really well in the car. Thankful for that. Thanks for looking out for us!

Critter Mom and Dyana like this.
  7. Shelley & Oliver

PS NEVER used to the steep drive in the ice and slush. Harder winter than usual and the plow did not come. Hubs is a good driver. Thank goodness

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My cats like to sleep and hang out in their carriers too.
    How long before you leave? You might want to test him before you leave.
    I'm in New Jersey, and we just finished a big snow storm, but no steep hills here. Best Of Luck on the drive and your shopping trip. You can visit the pet section too and pick up some more high / medium / and low carb foods if you need any.

Shelley & Oliver and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Shelley & Oliver

We left only an hour after shot, so I’m hoping we get an opportunity to test along the way. We’ll see. I really want to do same as yesterday, but it would be difficult.

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Shelley,

Remembering that Oliver didn't really want to eat much for you the other night, here are another couple of suggestions for your hypo toolkit:

Temptations Treats: They're very high in carbs (>30% of kcals) and cats will often accept them even when they're refusing every other food going. They also deliver a fair amount of carbohydrate in a small volume of food. Once the carbs from the treats kick in, provided the cat has had enough of them they could potentially help to hold numbers up better.

Cat-safe Baby Food (no garlic, onion, chives, spices, etc.): There are some suitable products listed at this link. Again, some cats will eat these even when they don't want to know about any of their regular foods. Although the baby foods are low in carbs, you can always add honey or syrup to them to up the carb load.

And don't forget something really nice for yourself and your excellent chauffeur! :D

Mogs

Shelley & Oliver and Dyana like this.
  11. Shelley & Oliver

Thanks Mogs! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Just to let you know, if you're going to buy the 100 syringes for $12 with the half unit markings on them from Walmart, the pharmacists often don't know they have syringes with half unit markings. Just tell them they do. It says it on the box.

Shelley & Oliver and Critter Mom like this.
  13. Shelley & Oliver

Thank you! Chris warned me about that too. :)

Critter Mom and Dyana like this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like a rather uneventful day for Oliver. I'm sure you could use a few of those now.

If you are fully loaded for test strips tonight, I think you could try 0.5 units tonight. And get a +2, just to make sure he isn't planning anything funny. His 3 unit depot should be all gone now so you have to build the Lantus 0.5 unit depot to see what this dose can really do. If end up using terms you aren't familiar with, pop on over to the Lantus group here
    Lantus / Basaglar (glargine) and Levemir (detemir) and read the yellow starred Sticky Notes.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Shelley & Oliver

Great! Thank you. I’m looking forward to getting him regulated. I’d like to get him back on the 8/8 shot schedule, how much can I move his shot at a time (10 minutes? 5 minutes) to get him back on track.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can move the shot back 15 minutes per cycle (so twice a day), or 1/2 hour once per day.

Shelley & Oliver likes this.
  17. Shelley & Oliver

Thank you!! I will do that.

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.