Oliver - Post hypo 2/1

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shelley & Oliver, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelley & Oliver

Shelley & Oliver Well-Known Member

Morning. I am starting a new post for today for Oliver. The other was getting so long. This will be helpful to me as I am not real adept at this message board yet.
    Oliver has reading of 608 this morning. He has a vet appointment at 11 to check him in general due to the trauma he had Saturday.
    Still looking for strips. First vet was a no go. He has had no shot. Waiting for a vet in the next town to open. In general Ollie is doing well, his appetite and attitude are all there. :)

I’m going to now find the link to yesterday’s post and see if I can cross reference it here. Thank you all!

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/oliver-post-hypo.242378/

we will see if this works ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Reason for edit: To copy link from yesterday’s post.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He's really high... I think I would give a shot this morning. maybe go back to 1 unit and we can build back up to whatever it needs to be.

Shelley & Oliver likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

In an abundance of caution, people have been suggesting giving 0.5 units. I think it's a good place to start.

Are there any human pharmacies in the town where the vet is? You can always pick up a meter there. Something like the Freestyle has a tiny blood drop requirement, I think the same size as the AT.

4. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Works just fine, Shelley!

If I were you I'd go to your local pharmacy and get a human meter and strips.
    Then you have a backup meter and can get strips fast in the future.

Shelley & Oliver and JanetNJ like this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I also support a very conservative approach to the insulin.

Fingers and paws crossed your hunt for strips will be successful.

Mogs

6. Shelley & Oliver

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/oliver-post-hypo.242378/

I am going to call the pharmacy as soon as it opens. The vets on the next two towns do not carry. I bought some on line, but they won’t get here fast enough to help my immediate needs

7. Shelley & Oliver

I will get the hang of this yet! Calling the pharmacy when it opens. Thanks!

SashaV and Critter Mom like this.
  8. Shelley & Oliver

Thanks all. I just gave Oliver 0.5u shot. Fingers crossed we are on the way to recovery!

9. Shelley & Oliver

Thank you. I have given him 0.5u at 8:39 am.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  10. Shelley & Oliver

Gave him 0.5 cu. out of abundance of caution. thank you!

11. Wendy&Neko

Well done Shelley. If you are still home in a couple hours, grab a test. If not home, at your soonest convenience. Again, we just want to make sure he'll be safe for his road trip. It wouldn't hurt to take the meter and some food/honey with you. Though I expect you won't need it.

Good luck with the vet appointment.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Shelley & Oliver

Good idea about the honey. And meter. I think Oliver will go nowhere without it! I can test him right before we leave at 10:30 that will be almost 2 hours. Will update when there is new news.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the vet appt. Please keep us updated :bighug::bighug::cat:

14. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Good luck with the vet

15. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I look forward to your update too, Shelley. Love sent to Oliver:kiss:

You had a cheering squad behind you, other than those who were helping, during your emergency. You did great. All our best!

16. Shelley & Oliver

We are feeling all the love, believe me! How lucky we were to join this group. Thank you!!!

17. Shelley & Oliver

Thank
    Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Hi Shelley, hope the vet visit goes well. Now that the dust has settled a little, I'm glad that JL @JL and Chip asked about the syringes you are using, I had wondered about that as well. Please do take a pic and post, when you get a moment, and also what line you were drawing insulin up to when you gave 3u, because it isn't unheard of that people mistakenly draw the insulin up to the wrong line.

Your 0.5u today should be very small, and look like almost no insulin at all. There is a pic here of the insulin syringe scales, both syringes with half unit markings and full markings.

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...info-proper-handling-drawing-fine-dosing.151/

Gill & George and Critter Mom like this.
  19. Shelley & Oliver

Thanks for this. I did check with the vet and made sure I was drawing to the correct line and she said I was. (That was a relief) Oliver was dehydrated and they gave him fluids and took his blood. He has a small bladder infection (again) so we got an antibiotic for him. They are concerned about how much he is bouncing around (well yeah, us too) and agreed with the go low approach. They said sometimes the huge fluctuations are caused by something else entirely, but the blood work is not showing anything obvious. They gave him fluids. I will test him here in another hour and we will go from there. I will be putting his readings in the spreadsheet and take it one reading at a time.

20. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I didn’t catch what syringes you’re using. Can you please post the details from the package?

Depending on how many you have, Walmart sells Relion brand insulin syringes for around $12-13 for a box of 100. They have 3/10cc with half unit markings — and those half-unit marks can be very helpful.

Just throwing it out there since a Walmart run sounds to be in your future.

Critter Mom and Shelley & Oliver like this.
  21. Shelley & Oliver

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

You want to get some syringes with half unit markings when you can. BD makes them and you can also buy on line.

23. Wendy&Neko

Nice to see Oliver has come down quite a bit today. Don't know if that was helped by fluids, but good to see his numbers come down. Super happy to hear the report from the vet too. We always worry about longer term effects in symptomatic hypos.

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Shelley

Glad you got him in. How did they diagnose a UTI? Normally that’s not something that is diagnosed that quickly. Has he had symptoms such as peeing small amounts quite often? Did they check his urine ketones? Did you get urine ketone strips?

I suggest you get a +11 test but, honestly, if he’s still headed down, my opinion is you should not give insulin tonight. He’s clearing a bounce, you have very few strips, and he’s only a day away from a significant hypo. Infections concern us but they gave him fluids and put him on an antibiotic so I’m less concerned that he might develop ketones without insulin than I am about a hypo.

Others might have different thoughts but my vote is for a “no shoot “ if he’s still dropping st +11.

25. Shelley & Oliver

since we don’t get to go in now because of COVID, I don’t know how they diagnosed it. I know that he had a blood panel done, and I have not noticed him going to the bathroom often, the box is shared and downstairs, and who knows what they do down there when we aren’t looking. ;) I am going to test his blood here in a minute, we are right about at +11. Thanks!

26. Shelley & Oliver

Yes! He had his fluids about 11:30, I should put that in the spreadsheet

Critter Mom and Marje and Gracie like this.
  27. Wendy&Neko

Yes, and say what time. For some cats, fluids lower the numbers.

28. Wendy&Neko

Per the comments on your spreadsheet, I think you can try the same dose tomorrow, provided he's up from where he was at PMPS tonight. Once you have more strips, we can thing about on going dosing.

29. Shelley & Oliver

Thank you! It will be interesting to see what the morning brings. I appreciate you looking at the SS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.