? Old newbie needing dosing help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda and Newman, May 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning, I'm Linda Martin, a newbie all over again. I was here in 2003 with my sugarcat, Unkie (GA). I haven't had a chance to post a proper introduction. Last night, with the help of Karen and Chris, I completed a spreadsheet for Newman and filled out the numbers I have for him since we switched to PZI from the Vetsulin he started on at dx in November 2021. I don't have my 'sea legs' yet on this voyage, so bear with me. I have forgotten everything I knew 20 years ago and a lot has changed.

I need some dosage guidance and I can't find what I thought I had read as to procedure to accommodate lower numbers. We have been in the red and pink on the spreadsheet with only a couple of exceptions. This morning his PS 104. I held off feeding for an hour and he had come up to 228, so I fed half of his Fancy Feast breakfast. Now I don't know whether to shoot the usual 2.5u or adjust for those numbers. As you can see on the spreadsheet his AMPS is usually in the 300-400 range. After eating he came up to 417 so I did go ahead and shoot, but with a .25 reduction, or 2.25u.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BYth9W-7R_trLNxYD431mbOAJdSQ_QmW87hABHptXEU/edit#gid=0

Editing to add that I am working on a proper introduction with all of the pertinent information I refer to on the Sticky : New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Linda I can tag a few members for you , I'm not that experienced when it comes to giving dosing advice
    If you can fill out your signature tap on the blue link and give us information about Newman
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

• Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

@FrostD

@Suzanne & Darcy

@Chris & China (GA)

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here are the 2 dosing methods for pzi for you to pick, Is it possible for you to do more testing during his PM cycle, I'm pretty sure the members will ask you to :cat:

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

5. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks Diane, I edited my post after I went ahead and shot a slightly reduced dose. I can do spot checks throughout the day. I am working on a proper introduction to include the information found on the link you mention. I had a moment of urgency at the sudden low number, so I got ahead of myself. I am so rusty from my use of the forum as I said, about 20 years ago. Not only has the forum changed a bit, but my brain is older and slower. LOL
    Thanks again for taking the time to help. I hope to get that profile updated and posted by the end of the day. I am in South Florida on DST.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're very welcome , I hope down the road we can see a pic of Newman :cat:

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

@FrostD

@Suzanne & Darcy

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi there. Welcome back! Diane has you started off well. Read through the dosing methods that Diane linked and select which one you would like to follow. The main differences are the speed at which doses can be increased (if required) and the amount of testing. Tight Regulation requires a little bit more testing each day, but would allow you to get Newman regulated more quickly.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that those dosing protocols use numbers from human meters. Most people here use human meters because the protocols are written that way and because of the amount of testing that we do The test strips for the human meters are so much less expensive.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Linda and Newman to the forum.:)
    Ask lots of questions. We are happy to answer them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.