Oj's brother potential diabetic??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Luxe, Jan 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxe

Luxe Member

Heyyy so just a question. Ojs brother (barry) has been a little meh the last couple of days. Still eating and drinking a decent amount but havent noticed any increased urination. Havent seen him in the box at all actually. He's just been sleeping a lot more. I just got home from work and my mom said he hasnt moved from the same spot all day and refused food even when they brought it to him on the couch. I gave him a look and he's got snot all over his nose. I scraped the dried boogies off and more instantly poured out. I decided for the hell of it to check his blood using my relion premier and it said 143. Considering he hasnt eaten at all yet today and its 3:45pm should he be lower? Is 143 considered okay for the meter im using? Or maybe its a little higher because he obviously feels trashy today? Today the vet is closed and tomorrow we're calling for 18" of snow. Im going to make an apt for tuesday if they have an opening but just wondering about his number i just pricked. Im so used to oj being mostly over 300 im not sure what should be normal and then hearing the premier reads more like a pet meter not sure if 143 is good for that. I wanted to buy a prime this week to compare but walmart was all sold out.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

With the snotty nose, as well as feeling icky Barry might not be able to smell his food properly. Maybe try putting something with a strong aroma over it (e.g. tuna water) and warming it a little?

If he has some sort of upper respiratory issue going on that might possibly be affecting his BG levels (also if he feels stressed due to whatever is up with him). I hope you can get him to eat something soon, and that he feels better soon. (((Barry)))

Mogs

THH & Snowcrash (GA) and Luxe like this.
  3. Luxe

Luxe Member

Thank you. I was so nervous to even check his blood. I was like what if he's 400?! I was glad to see the 143 but wasnt even sure if that was good or not. Elsewhere where i asked they said 143 was okay using the premier but i wasnt sure

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If he is not feeling well or has an infection, that can raise glucose levels. You can also try sprinkling parmesan cheese or dried tuna flakes on top of the food to help entice him.

Luxe and Critter Mom like this.
  5. Luxe

Luxe Member

Thanks all. We made it through the snow in the blizzard for hman emergency appointment for barry. He is infact non diabetic but he has a bad uri and masses in both his ears. So hoping they're not cancerous and the rest of his bloodwork results come back good tomorrow. This has been a very stressful few months with sick babies....

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Are they polyps? My Badger had them in his left ear and they oozed and cased erratic BGs. There were surgically removed from the outside and all has been well since (3 years ago?)
    My Grey Ghost had massive ones in one ear. I looked like cauliflower was growing in his ear. They did not cause any symptoms for a long time then they started bleeding. They were surgically removed and he was OK for awhile then he became insulin resistant. I suspect now that he had acromegaly but that was about 20 years ago.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Luxe

Luxe Member

The one ear he said looked like benign polyps. The second ear he was too gooey to see but he said that ear didnt look promising based on how infected it is. They cleaned them there, flushed his nose, gave subq fluids and gave me two different drops to use as well as two oral antibiotics for his URI and some prescription "recovery rs" food to syringe feed him. They said for his age his teeth looked great and fortunately when we came back he ate on his own for the first time in two days so i didnt have to syringe feed. He said the 143BG i tested him at was normal but still probably a little high just from all the infections so he was confident he's not diabetic like his littermate oj is. Tomorrow i'll get his bloodwork results back as they ran that to make sure everything else is okay with him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.