NY Animal Medical Center Acro surgery

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by NyCatMom, Aug 1, 2021.

1. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

I am not sure if other members are aware that the AMC in NYC performIng surgery for acromegly but I thought I'd post an article on the subject. I believe Dr McCue is the surgeon.

https://www.amcny.org/pet_stories/callie/

MisterBillie and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this!

3. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

I wish I had known about this earlier. I would have taken my girl to AMC instead of Cornell though I'm not sure if her lymphoma would have made her a poor surgical candidate

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

NyCatMom likes this.
  5. NyCatMom

NyCatMom Member

Thanks Wendy, when I searched McCue I found the thread. Looks like three cats had the surgery in 2018. I appreciate the long term posts by Sophie's family. I think folks need to know the long term implications before moving forward with this surgery.

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I visited with Amanda (Shmee's mom) at the AMC in NYC during the week she was there for the hypophysectomy. I was in NYC for work that week.

Wendy posted the post-surgery link for Shmee. I noticed the AMC appeared to be very well run and was clean, and easy to get to. We had lunch nearby on one of the days, there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The subway is only 2-3 blocks away if that is an option for someone. And you could always Uber those 3 blocks after the subway.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

It seems like the ultimate outcome wasn't too good for Schmee from what I read in her final post.

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is true about Shmee. For Sophie, the outcome was great. And others have had good results from hypophysectomies - like Titan (in Europe).

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

You can email him, send records and he will call you back. I considered it for Olive, talked with him a few times, but didn't like the vibe I got. But Olive had another mass I needed to consider and he didn't seem to consider it at all.