Numbers going up after insulin - thinking of switching to Lantus

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by garbagecat, Jun 8, 2021.

1. garbagecat

garbagecat Member

Hi all,

Here is my spreadsheet with my latest curve:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FJ1sGKdxCjPCmc-uRVuOzVgOrIkrG-zE3sCmw4KOFDM/edit

Frank is on 3u of ProZinc and numbers actually RISE after dosing. His best numbers are preshot but only sometimes.

I have asked my vet to switch to Lantus but she wanted to see a full curve first. I think we may start over completely at .5 or 1u and see what happens.

Any advice? I am at a loss here. Low carb wet pate only

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

When you switch to a new insulin, the dose of the new insulin is based on your existing dose for your old insulin.

Resetting the dose to 0.5 or one unit, simply means losing all the progress you have made. We do not recommend that you reset the dose.

So when you switch to Lantus, we would start at the 3 unit dose that you’re giving now with Prozinc.

You haven’t found the correct dose for Frank yet.

3. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

It looks to me like you are holding the doses for too long which can cause glucose toxicity. Here’s the link to the dosing methods for Prozinc, if you haven’t checked it out yet :cat:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

How you change the dose will depend on which methods you choose to follow, but at most, if you’re not seeing numbers under 150 after 7 days you should increase the dose.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. garbagecat

garbagecat Member

What do you guys make of the fact that his numbers are highest mid cycle after insulin?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

That you haven’t found the right dose yet, to break through the high BG levels.
    That you are holding the doses for too long and need to increase sooner than you’ve been doing.
    That you are seeing a food bump earlier in the cycle.
    That most of those BG numbers are within 20%, so within meter variance.

That the carb content of the food you are feeding Frank is too high.
    That your insulin is old and needs to be replaced.

These and many more are possible reasons for what is going on with Frank.

6. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

It took me getting up to 3+ units and switching to the Modified Prozinc Method of dosing (MPM) before I started seeing any decent numbers in George. He was diagnosed in January too and only started seeing some good numbers about a week ago. With MPM you can increase doses more quickly if the current dose isn’t working, so it may help you find the correct one.

Deb & Wink likes this.