No insulin for 24h but going low this PM

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather&Harrison, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Hey guys. Harrison has been off insulin now for 3 cycles . but to our surprise at 3+ pm 9pm hes 4.0. Whats going on ?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Heather&Harrison and Critter Mom like this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Or maybe @Panic Elizabeth can tell you what she thinks
    Thanks Elizabeth :cat:

Heather&Harrison and Panic like this.
  4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

How cool! Looks like his pancreas is making some insulin on its own tonight! Keep doing spot checks like you are, he's not at risk of hypo or anything when you don't give insulin.

Heather&Harrison likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Heather,

This is really good! The way that Harrison has been racing down the dosing scale makes him look like a very, very good candidate for - anti-jinx! - remission (as you rightly suspected on your previous thread).

It's possible that Harrison might drift down into normal numbers without further insulin, but can't be 100% certain yet. The normal range on a human meter is 2.8-6.7 (mmol/L), but ideally you'd like to see him running in the 2.8-5.5 range. If he stays in the latter range with an occasional reading in the 5.6-6.7 range for 14 days without insulin then he'd be considered a diet-controlled diabetic.

As Elizabeth recommends above, keep testing morning and evening as you are, and also do spot checks in the 3 hours following meals (to check for how BG levels go after eating). If numbers don't quite get into the ideal range or if they start to trend upwards he might need a little more support from insulin (with close monitoring), so post for help if that happens and we can look at things on a cycle by cycle basis.

What do you think yourself, Heather?

Mogs

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Panic likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Panic and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Thanks everyone.

Mogs I agree with you. My hubby thought that the diet must be controlling his BG levels. So its nice to get a little confirmation on that theory. We are going to keep testing. We have a follow up appointment with the vet on Monday and he is going todo a blood test on Harrison. Also its been 4 nights with no pee mess. Were on a roll over here thanks to you guys.

Critter Mom and Pookie (GA) like this.
  8. Critter Mom

Nice AMBG*, Heather! Great news about improvements in Harrison's clinical signs too. Fingers and paws crossed... :nailbiting:

Mogs

(* AMBG / PMBG - BG readings taken at same time of day as AMPS / PMPS, but for a diabetic cat not currently receiving insulin, i.e. on a remission trial or diet controlled.)

9. Critter Mom

Hi Heather,

Just look at your handsome boy go! :cat:

Mogs

10. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

I know. My hubby and I are pretty excited. Thank you all for all the help.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Critter Mom

Hi Heather,

I see his nibs is a little higher at AMPS this morning. I'm assuming that you fed Harrison before this reading. If you can manage it, tests at AM+2 and/or AM+3 would be helpful (to see what happens to BG levels after food).

Mogs

Heather&Harrison likes this.
  12. Heather&Harrison

Heather&Harrison Member

Morning mogs. I went back to bed this morning didnt see this post. I checked our camera footage of the cats food area, and he ate some leftover wet food from last night at 3am. I took his amps at 530am. Now at +4 its 5.4.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Those numbers are looking wonderful! Keeping fingers and paws crossed for remission (touch wood/anti-jinx....) :D

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.