Newly diagnosed, need help with glucometer

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nslade001, Nov 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, my 17 yo girl Willow was just diagnosed. We spent the day back and forth to the vet for glucose checks and caninsulin injection, and library researching as much as possible.
    I need a glucometer for tonight's injection because I want to keep a close eye, and was overwhelmed by choices. I bought a AccuChek Guide, then found it uses 0.6 microliters of blood. But I can add blood if I don't get enough, but is that a help if I need more to start with?!
    So I bought a Freestyle Light, which only uses 0.3 microliters.
    Please advise if anyone can offer an opinion between the two! Next injection is in 2 hours and I need to choose.
    Is there a difference in quality control/accuracy?
    Price is similar, here in Nova Scotia Canada you buy the sticks (around 100 for $80ish) and glucometer is free.
    Thanks so much!
    With love,
    Nikki

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

All meters are pretty much interchangeable …..The government regulates their accuracy so pick the one you like the best (probably the Freestyle in this case due to the smaller sample size)

nslade001 likes this.
  3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I like the Freestyle Lite due to sample size. I used my One Touch Ultra initially since I had a few strips left ... and I like the Freestyle much more for the small sample size. It's so much easier! I'm not going to throw out my old meter though- doesn't hurt to have a backup.

nslade001 likes this.
  4. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Im using the freestyle lite and love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.