Newly Diagnosed Blitzy Update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by schlania, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlania

schlania Member

Blitzey had his first curve on Friday at the, vet I just got back Friday night and my husband and mother couldn't check his blood so did it at vet, he was in the 400 all day, so the want to increase to 2u twice a day.. I started checked at home and i got 238, that was the first time.. He has gained weight, went from 10.3 to 10.7, not much but a improvement.. So my question is what is the conversion for human meters, I have the ipet pro but would also bought a reli on prime and would like to know his numbers on there.. Hopefully I will be able to get the spreadsheet going.. My vet thinks once we can get his sugar under control, he should be OK..

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ok a good hint here is if you have a specific question. POST part of that question in your title. That way People that use the alpha track will respond.
    I think @Critter Mom or is it @tiffmaxee

*Ladies please excuse my bad memory (having a tough day here)

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry that should say one of the two that I know use the alphatrack

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

5. schlania

schlania Member

6. schlania

schlania Member

His spreadsheet is just bloodwork I have just got back and gonna start testing and start spreadsheet, it was hard I was on military orders and was not here

7. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's a fast increase. We only recommend 0.25u increases at a time, cats are so small they don't normally need much. When did you get the 238 test? Was it before giving insulin, a couple hours after, etc?

8. schlania

schlania Member

4 hours after,

9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

And was that 1u or 2? Sorry haha.

If it was 1u I definitely don't think 2u is needed yet.

10. schlania

schlania Member

My mom had started him on 2 from what the vet told her

11. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

How is Blitzey doing?

Sorry I can't remember, is he using Vetsulin? Have you got your spreadsheet going? :)

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  12. schlania

schlania Member

He is on vetsulin, I am trying to start spreadsheet but I am having a hard time getting blood to test

13. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's okay, it is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning. The ears need to form capillaries which makes them easier to bleed, it takes a little while. You'll also probably find that one ear bleeds better than the other.

Here is the link to home-testing information.

Things that can help:
    • Get a rice sock and put it in the microwave, or put warm water in a pill bottle. You can use either one to warm Blitzey's ear to encourage the blood to flow. You can also rub the ear between your fingers.
    • Take just a teeny dab of vaseline and put on the ear, this will help the blood droplet to bead up.
    • Make sure you are aiming just along the edge of the ear. The "sweet spot" pictured is the best spot but you can do it anywhere along the edge of the ear.
    • Use 26 gauge lancets in the beginning, it helps a lot.
    • Wipe a little bit of neosporin (ointment, not cream) with pain relief to help it heal.

Also some important things about Vetsulin in general:
    • Test, feed, wait 30 minutes, and the give insulin. Food must be on-board already.
    • Check early in the cycle - Vetsulin drops BG hard and fast and then it shoots back up early. It's not a very good insulin for cats. Check 1, 2, 3, and 4 hours afterwards if you can (or whoever is testing, not sure if you're going to be home for a while). Normally Vetsulin wears off about 3-5 hours after receiving insulin (but don't give more than 12 hrs apart).
    • Make sure Blitzey gets a small snack one hour after giving insulin. Ideally give a small snack every hour until his BG starts to rise. Vetsulin is just ... really difficult to work with in cats so you have to compensate.
    • No insulin if his pre-shot is under 200.

Blitzey will do better on Lantus or Prozinc. Lantus not only has higher remission rate in cats, but if you switch there is a very active Lantus forum that can keep an eye on you and Blitzey. There's only a couple of us here (@Deb & Wink and myself) that can offer advice with Vetsulin. Having a support system is important.

Finally, if you can pick up some gravy lovers cans of Fancy Feast and some karo syrup if you haven't already, those are important to keep on-hand if Blitzey's BG drops too low. Never let them get below 90 on Vetsulin. Any drop under 90 warrants a 0.25 unit reduction immediately. If he drops low, come to the board and put up a 911 so others can help you get him back up again.

14. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Bandit's Mom is helping people with Spreadsheet setups, while Marje is away.

15. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, can you share the existing sheet linked in your Signature? Do you know how to do that?

Click on the green box at the top right corner that says "Share". In the bottom half of the pop-up box that says "Get Link" choose the option "Anyone with the Link" and then click "Done"

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  16. jt and trouble (GA)

Thank you Deb AND Bhooma! :bighug:

Deb & Wink and Bandit's Mom like this.
  17. Deb & Wink

That is still not our standardized spreadsheet. Looks like a screen shot of some lab test results you got for your cat.
    Tagging @Bandit's Mom again, to see if she can help you get the right document linked in your signature.

p.s. Could not sign on at all Thursday night. Just catching up this AM.

18. schlania

schlania Member

I am going to get the right spreadsheet going this weekend

19. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

20. schlania

schlania Member

I am finally able to home test and started a spread sheet, hopefully did it right.. His numbers are not good. I am not sure if i get the vet to see if i can switch his insuin? They did a curve i did not get the numbers but he said he stayed between 350 and 400 the whole time which is why he went from 1 unit to 2.. he only eats fancy feast pate, i am wondering if the pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis has something to do with his numbers?
    Very confused and feel like i am failing him.

21. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Blitzey's numbers are very typical for Vetsulin. It does not last very long in cats and by pre-shot the numbers are high again like you're seeing. You did a great job with the curve today! The curve from the vet was probably stress-influenced as well.

I would absolutely request an insulin change. Lantus especially, it's very very good in cats. Here is the 2018 Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats. It clearly states that they only recommend Lantus/Levemir and Prozinc in felines. Vetsulin was designed for dogs ... outside the US it is called Caninsulin (for canine). I would call your vet and tell them Blitzey isn't getting long enough duration with Vetsulin and would like to switch per the AAHA guidelines. The AAHA is the American Animal Hospital Association.

How is Blitzey feeling?

22. schlania

schlania Member

He is eating and drinking to me he looks better, he is even gaining weight, he is even back to attacking my dog, but it seems when his sugar gets high he just sleeps gets a little lazy.. i am going to ask vet about Lantus, hopefully he will do the switch, it seems they just to up the dose.

23. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's feeling better! For the most part anyway ... when their BG gets high it makes them feel pretty crappy.

They did jump the dose too fast but I'm actually pretty happy with the number he made it to today on this dose. I would not increase anytime soon, and if he does drop below 90 at any time make sure to reduce by 0.25u. Also make sure you skip his dose if he is below 200 (for now). Vetsulin is very tricky to work with and you don't want him dropping too low.

Good luck with your vet. :) He would really benefit from the switch.

24. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

25. schlania

schlania Member

Blitzey had another curve at the vet, was supposed to be last week but he hid from my mom so he couldn't go, the only reason I was going to do it is when I called they would not discus his insulin without a curve since uping his dose. He basically told me know on lantus and that vetsulin was one of the best insulins for cats. He also told .e I shouldn't home test but it stresses them out and the numbers are not accurate. Needless to say I am looking for another vet. Blitzey just sits there when I pick his ear and test, so not stressful. Vet said his numbers got in the high 500. Wants to up his insulin to 3.5 and watch him to make sure he is not acting funny, so now the search is on. If any one knows anyone in the tampa areas or surrounding that have a vet i could use some recommendations. He did gain another ounce.

26. Deb & Wink

Could you please enter the curve data done at the vet to your SS? Make a note in the Remarks column on the far right that this curve was done at the vet.
    I'm sure you paid for the vet clinic to run the curve.
    Have them email you the results. Should only take their office a few minutes to do that.

2U to 3.5U in one fell swoop? Really??????

Maybe you want to email them this information. Which talks about Vetsulin being useful for DOGS.
    (2018) AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats

27. schlania

schlania Member

They are supposed to email me the numbers so if I don't have them tomorrow am I will call them, I did pay good money for it.

28. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I knew we have several Florida members here, not sure about Tampa area though. Maybe make a separate post asking to get attention to it. You're absolutely right, everything your vet said was backwards! Such a shame. Do keep us updated - and in the meantime, you could check the Supply Closet to see if anyone is selling Lantus. You'd still need a new vet of course but that might help you sooner.

29. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

What Panic suggested with checking the supply closet is exactly what I had to do to get Teal'c started on Lantus my vet also said no to Lantus, however, he was at that time on Prozinc which is still better then Vetsulin. I just wanted to change because he was so bouncy on Prozinc.

After I was able to outsource Lantus I then went shopping for a vet that would prescribe Lantus for him because I didn't want to have to rely on what I could outsource. Due to covid I was able to find a vet that was willing to write the prescription with out seeing Teal'c. With Lantus Teal'c's numbers did improve, not over night it still took some time to find the right dose and today he runs blues and greens almost all the time. The vet that wouldn't prescribe Lantus, after seeing the SS and Teal'c's numbers, is onboard with the use of Lantus for Teal'c.

ECID and for Teal'c the right insulin was Lantus. The supply closet is a good choice to start Lantus while you find a vet that would give you the prescription so you can see how Blitzey might respond to Lantus. You might find like I did that its the right insulin for Blitzey.

30. schlania

schlania Member

I found a cat vet that works with lantus and loves when owners home test and do their own curves, she said it is better that way so I have a appt on Monday,, she also said they would get all the records from my vet..Hopefully this will be a good change..

31. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Ahhh wow that was fast!! So glad to hear it!
    If they can give you a script for Lantus (the pens) you can send it to Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada, they sell pens for a third of the price and will last you 1-2 years.

32. Deb & Wink

Sounds like the new vet is a keeper. Suggesting all the right moves. A good long lasting insulin that cats do well on, home testing, doing your own curves.

Wait until she sees the SS (spreadsheet) we have members keep. :)

33. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

New vet sounds great; old one, not so much. Monday could be the start of a beautiful partnership! Fingers and paws crossed... :)

Mogs

34. jt and trouble (GA)

Wow HUMANITY making a difference? Good luck with your new Vet. Def a step in the right direction.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  35. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

New vet sounds great; old one, not so much. Monday could be the start of a beautiful partnership! Fingers and paws crossed... :)

Mogs

36. schlania

schlania Member

so i really love this vet.she said she would write the script for lantus if that is what i wanted to do , she likes prozinc for cats, as she is very familiar with it, she has one client on lantus, so should i give the prozinc, i got a vial so if i were to change to this i could start right away, or should i just get the script for lantus, she also talked about remission and how she likes to keep up with the clients thru text and if the like to do their the curves at home, it is better that way for the cat..I have read some good things on pro zinc, she said to start with 2 units? his reading were 484 and my meter was about 80 lower than the alpha trax, i have been using the ipetpro.

37. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Prozinc is good but cats overall just do better on Lantus ... less bouncing, faster remission. It's also cheaper in the long run if you buy from Mark's Marine Pharmacy.

We generally start on the same dose that the cat is already on.

38. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Remember meter variance - a meter is allowed to be up to 20% off so both meters were essentially giving the same number.

39. schlania

schlania Member

I will call tomorrow and get the script for Lantus, i got the vial of prozinc today, i don't think they will do a return. Hope fully there is some one who could use it.. , money is tight and i exhausted my care credit today that is kind of why i thought maybe i could go with prozinc. . but i will figure out the Lantus. also ahold I wait till I am going to be home to start a new insulin. I work 6-5 Mon thru fri, my mom is here during the day but just had shoulder surgery.

40. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Diabetic Cats In Need is a great source if you are in financial need. Maybe send them an email or give them a call about help with a couple Lantus pens to get you going?

41. schlania

schlania Member

I went with the prozinc only because my mom had shoulder surgery and I am worried if I do lantus when I go away on military he won't get his dose on time and will have alot of skips.hubby will do it but seems to not hear his alarms. So with the prozinc, I started with 2 but it seems his nunmbers are not coming down at all. It has only been one day, i know too soon, to know? If the prizinc does not work in 4-6 weeks the vet said we would do lantus. But his shot times have to be completely at same time and what if he did miss a dose? I have read that with prozinc there can be a little variance?

42. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Prozinc has about an hour's wiggle room with shooting, you want to stick within 15 minutes of Lantus. Too early is like overdosing, too late is like not getting full dose, so cycles affect each other unlike Prozinc, something to keep in mind.

If you are able to get a couple tests in during the day cycle and at least a "before bed" test you can post the results and we can help you bump the dose up safely.

I think you might be best going back to 2.5u for now, it doesn't seem to be dropping him very much so he may need more than that soon. Can you put the 2 dose for today in your spreadsheet please? :)

Are you checking for ketones? Might be a good idea while we figure out the dose.

43. schlania

schlania Member

I was just curious if i should have started him on the 3 that he was on with vetsulin, his numbers are getting higher?

44. jt and trouble (GA)

@Panic
    When you wish a reply from a certain post, click reply on that post that member will get an alert. ;)

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  45. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

He may need more than 2u but not necessarily 3u, let's work our way back up to 3u slowly and see if he needs a dose in between.

That yellow yesterday seems a little out of place, but if it was accurate, I would say he could be bouncing from that number. Anytime you get a questionable test result, retest. A 200 point drop in an hour halfway through the cycle is unusual.

Have you looked over the Prozinc Dosing Sticky? There are 2 dosing methods, SLGS and MPM.

SLGS = Increase dose after 7 days if nadir is consistently over 150. Reductions are earned under 90.

MPM = Increase dose after 3 days if nadir is consistently over 150. Reductions are earned under 50. No dry food may be in the diet, and you must at minimum get both pre-shots and at least one mid-cycle test every cycle, so minimum 4 tests per day.

Depending on which method you want to use, you can either bump up the dose by .25u tomorrow or hold it a little longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.