Newly diagnosed (6/9)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NoahFL, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Hello! So glad to have found this forum. Max is my second cat that has developed diabetes. My first cat, Callie, was diabetic for about 6 weeks then went into remission for several years before passing due to cancer last year. That was devastating to our whole family. Max got a steroid shot about 6 weeks ago for some respiratory issues and I noticed about 4 weeks later he started losing weight and increased urine output and water consumption. I didn’t have my Alpha Trak meter but had the glucose sticks and it was a 1. Took him to the vet and sure enough diabetes. We’re on day 3 of ProZinc and have only had one reading below 400 (377). Callie was on Novolin and regulated pretty quickly. Max doesn’t seem to be. Does ProZinc typically take longer to regulate? We just went back to Purina DM wet and dry. I have 2 other cats. I put down free-feed dry and wet after am/pm shot. I feel so deflated right now. I was excited to see the 377 this morning and then back up tonight. Vet wants me to go to 3 units starting Sat night if his glucose isn’t under 300. Callie tolerated the ear pricks, but wasn’t a fan of the insulin shots. Max hates the ear pricks, but tolerates the insulin shot.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome to the best place you can be. I can't help you with dosing but I will take a few members that most likely will be able to give you some advice
    @Deb & Wink

@Bron and Sheba (GA)

3. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Hi!

I had a remission kitty too that passed away as a senior in December

My other senior was just diagnosed and am discouraged too by the high number after a few injections... I'm trying to remember that I need to fill his depot and stay positive about getting some tests and insulin in

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. You are raising the dose much much too quickly.

if it were my cat I would eliminate that high carb dry (yes the dm is too high in carb for a diabetic cat) and just feed a low carb wet food. If also go back to one unit and hold it for several days until she gets used to the insulin and off the dry. Prozinc is a MUCH better insulin than novolin, which generally hits hard and fast and wears off quickly.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

You also should be testing more during the day and night cycles ,it would be helpful if you can set up your signature

will help us help you if you can set up your signature where do you live
    In About You, create a "FDMB Profile" using details you would like to share. See this post, "Creating a FDMB Profile" for information you may want to include.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
    • DX: date
    • Name of insulin
    • Name of your meter
    • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
    • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
    • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
    • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
    • Spreadsheet link on the last line by itself (for quick access)

On the left, under Settings, Click on Contact Details.
    This section lets you customize what communications you receive.
    Adjust those you wish to alter.

Continue through the section list of
    Privacy
    Preferences
    Alert Preferences
    People You Follow
    People You Ignore
    Password

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can't really compare them like that, mainly because it's a different type of insulin AND a different cat! Every cat is different and will respond in their own unique way.

The dry is too high in carbs, even though it looks like it should be OK. They were actually forced to change the name because there's absolutely nothing in the "prescription" foods that treats disease. It started out as "Diabetic Management" but they had to change it to "DiaTetic Management"

The canned pate style DM is low enough in carbs, but the ingredients are pretty lousy, especially for the price they charge! Most of us feed plain old Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates because they're under 10% carbs, easy to find and a lot more affordable.

No! We never recommend whole unit dose changes. Increases should be done in .25 unit increments so you don't bypass what could be a "perfect" dose.

For now, I'd hold the 2U dose and if possible, get a couple of tests on the AM cycle and at least 1 test on the PM cycle. Most cats go lower at night, so it's even more important to get at least a "before bed" test so you can tell if you might need to set an alarm to get another test in later in the cycle.

8. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but I was always told that a wet food diet was terrible for the teeth and caused excessive weight gain. How do you do exclusive wet with 2 other healthy cats in the house? If I try to go exclusive wet, how much do you feed?

Thanks for all the feedback. Will continue to look around the forum for some additional info!

9. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Are you able to see my spreadsheet? I thought I set it up correctly last night. Thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Actually, a lot of us have gotten the same information and it's wrong. Most dry foods contain carbohydrates. Cats are obligate carnivores and can't metabolize the vegetable and fruit matter that are in kibble. The dry foods are typically high in animal by-products versus muscle meat. In addition, things like "cellulose fiber" while undigestible plant matter, is pretty much sawdust. Dry food also typically contains all sorts of gluten mean and many cats are sensitive or allergic to gluten. Further, cats have a very limited thirst drive. They get the most of their moisture from eating live prey when living in the wild. Dry food contains very little moisture. Cats, especially diabetic cats, need the moisture to help with kidney health.

As for teeth, the presumption is that something crunchy will help to clean your cat's teeth. If that were the case, humans would be living on a diet of pretzels and biscotti. It is a silly suggestion that I suspect the pet food manufacturers use to promote the use of dry food.

I'd encourage you to take a look at this website on feline nutrition. It's written by a vet who has devoted a great deal of time and energy into learning about and educating the public about feline nutrition. There's also a chart (look on the navigation column on the right side of the site) that lists many of the canned foods available in the US along with their carbohydrate count and other nutritional information. You have lots of options for low carb (less than 10%) food.

And yes, your spreadsheet is there.

You may want to take a look at the information about using Prozinc that's at the top of the Prozinc insulin forum.

11. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Thank you! Should I gradually take away the dry or go cold turkey? Will read the links you provided. It’s so much to digest at once.

edited - Just checked him and he’s 620. Highest I’ve seen as he’s been in the 400s. He’s been on 2.5U for the last 3 injections.

edited - +2 at 470. Did not feed wet this morning bc I believe he ate a lot of dry this morning. Dry has since been removed. Feed wet around +3?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

13. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Thank you!!! Have learned so much in the past 2 days reading these forums!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.