Newbie with questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by willow segal, May 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willow segal

willow segal New Member

Okay so Willow was diagnosed April 21 and original vet said vetsulin 1u 2x day. Switched vets and started 1u 2x day. Willow has been previously eating some kibble (uti script) and some wet, weruva. Since diagnosis, I've been transitioning to wet as much as possible (weruva and fancy feast). I sprinkle as little kibble as possible, purina d/m. Anyhow, her numbers were really good for 3d in a row, too low to shoot. Now it seems she's a bit all over the place. I'm out of town and she has a pet sitter sleeping over doing a pretty good job considering. I don't feel like we have a fluid system down her and I'm ping ponging her dose. Idk to worry or not? Shoot half a dose when right under 200? She doesn't eat at night. Probably doesnt eat a whole lot during the day bc I have 2 other pig cats who will eat everything that's put out. I feed Willow as much as possible when I'm home mornings/after work. Thanks for help.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13EdVQx3YCX7NPr1CqedKj5Dls4zr0X_HGCt_pbfjuhg/edit?usp=sharing

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Andi and Willow if you would set up your signature it would be helpful
    I'll give you the link and then tag some members for you.. Great that you have already set up your spreadsheet
    Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.
    When you set up your signature can you please note Semglee started 5-3 Previous Vetsulin
    I see you have a pet sitter sleeping over, is it possible the pet sitter can get some more tests in. When you get back if you can get as many tests in before work and during the night cycle so we can see how the insulin is working and how low Willow's BG is dropping
    When using lantus/Semglee there are 2 dosing methods to follow, since you are feeding some dry you would have to follow SLGS method.
    I'll give you the link on the dosing methods
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

@tiffmaxee

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Bandit's Mom

@Suzanne & Darcy

@Wendy&Neko

Also please see Andi's post #6 , what the vet suggested

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    willow segal likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

I assume you meant the new vet started Semglee 1 unit twice a day since you have Semglee noted on your spreadsheet. On your spreadsheet where you have 2 units 4-23 to 5-3 was that the Vetsulin dose?

willow segal likes this.
  4. willow segal

willow segal New Member

That is all correct.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ok , I'm sure one of the members I tagged will reply back soon.
    Do you have the U-100 syringes with the half unit markings

willow segal likes this.
  6. willow segal

willow segal New Member

Yes, I do thank you. My new vet just happened to check up on us and I told her the numbers. She thinks I should stop shooting unless it gets closer to 300. She thinks and we both hope change diet is helping. I gotta keep up wet food. Sighhhh.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Hi Andi and Willow

I highly recommend choosing a dosing method such as SLGS or TR so that you have some rhyme and reason to what you're shooting and when. This is what helped my cat Hendrick!
    Insulin Glargine works best with consistency -- same dose day and night, same dose for at least several days in a row before changing. The dosing methods guide you in this.

And both SLGS and TR have been proven to drive cats to remission at a high rate; I think in one study 84% of the cats achieved remission on TR.

Read more here:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

willow segal likes this.
  8. willow segal

willow segal New Member

Thank you for this info. Helpful.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I disagree with your vet. Willow is not in remission yet. It would help a lot of you could get some tests in during the cycles. Are you home yet or is the pet sitter sill looking after Willow?. Semglee dosing is based on how low the dose takes the BG not what the preshot BG is.

Its important that Willow eats well so make sure she is getting her fair share of the food.
    We really need you to fpget your spreadsheet and signature set up so epwe can help you. I’ll ask @Bandit's Mom if she can help you.

10. willow segal

willow segal New Member

I'm a work in progress on all fronts here. I'll be home tonight and can check her throughout the day over the weekend. I'm struggling on signature stuff, obviously...add it to my list of things I suck at right now. Oy, that was a bit overly dramatic. Thank you for commenting, reaching out.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Bron. Willow is not in remission yet. Just so you have a picture of what the spreadsheet for a cat that is in remission looks like, this is Clyde's spreadsheet.

Let us know if you need a hand with getting your signature set up. @Bandit's Mom can help with spreadsheets (which is usually the hard thing) and signatures.

It may also be helpful if you took a look at the sticky notes at the top of the Lantus/Levemir/Biosimilars board. There's a wealth of information (well, an overwhelming amount of information) in the sticky notes and the associated links. It will help to make some of the issues around dosing and how Lantus works make more sense. You may also want to start posting on that board, as well since it's an active board with a solo focus on the insulin you're using.

Kyle (Hendrick Cuddleclaw) mentioned dosing methods. If you're feeling Willow any dry food, you will need to use Start Low Go Slow (SLGS) as your dosing method. Once you transition to a fully low carb, canned food diet you can switch to Tight Regulation if that's a method you would prefer.

12. willow segal

willow segal New Member

I’ll have to get on a computer to share spreadsheet properly. Thank you.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.