Newbie question about the Making Cat Food page

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrea and Mike, Mar 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrea and Mike

Andrea and Mike New Member

I would be very interested in making cat food based on the information in Dr. Pierson's Making Cat Food page (https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/), but I was wondering if there is a version anywhere that just has the ingredients and the cooking instructions without all of the side notes. I would like to try making the chicken version, and I would love to see if someone has compiled a shorter version that's in the format of a recipe like you'd see in a standard cookbook (list of ingredients and amounts followed by cooking instructions). I'm convinced that using a grinder is the way to go, and I would want to purchase one of the grinders that Dr. Pierson recommends.

The page is very lengthy, and I'm concerned that I could miss a step, buy the wrong ingredients, or handle the ingredients in an unsafe manner.

Thank you!!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Andrea
    I have never fed raw so I don't know anything about it, but I found this posted by one of our members
    Another alternative is a raw diet. You can often find ground lamb or pork at the grocery store or there may be specialty butchers in your area. Other raw diets are commercially available (e.g., Rawz). If you home prepare a raw diet, you can buy a pre-mix that contains all of the necessary supplements to make the diet nutritionally complete. Most of us use FoodFurLife's
    Ez complete

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Before you buy a grinder, I would get some commercial raw and see if your cats will eat it. In the past I tried several commercial ones and none of my cats would eat it. My dog liked it.

4. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

you might try using EZ Complete first before going all in with a grinder and everything that entails. I make food daily for our kits using E-Z Complete and a mixed bag of meats, I rotate a mix of turkey thighs, chicken thighs, chicken breast, and pork loin. It's important to get the fat content right.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm transitioning right now my cats to raw diet; I wanted to have something easier to start than going through the whole process of Dr. Pierson's recipe. So, I'm using a premix with human grade fresh meat, and I'm also giving raw freeze dried mixed with bio chicken broth and also raw commercial. I think the best is to give them a variety of everything!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.