Newbie - need urgent help on the correct way of injecting insulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jacqueline hegan, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Jacqueline hegan

Jacqueline hegan New Member

Hi there,

My cat was diagnosed with diabetes for about 2 weeks now. The vet has requested that she get her insulin shots twice a day. But instead of helping my cat, i seem to be causing her more pain. Despite having the nurse show me how to inject insulin into the back of the neck, i have not been successful. I read that cats generally tolerate the injections. However, despite injecting into the tent, my cat struggles in pain/shock when i plunge the needle in. This evening, she literally jumped up from the table when i press onto the plunger to push tge insulin in.

I tried to watch the different youtube videos on the correct way of injecting a cat. I also practiced how to pull the skin up to create the tent before injecting. Yet she seems to be in pain. Can i find out what are some possible reasons for her reaction? Did i inject too low? Is there a more foolproof way of finding the right spot for the injection?

my extreme fear of needles is probably not helping. Till now i get diarrhoea an hour before i need to do the injection. But i am determined to do the injection and save my cat’s life. Any advice or instructions on giving painless injections will really be appreciated.

thank you

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

@Jacqueline hegan

Sorry no one saw your post until now.
    The first thing that comes to mind is the size of the needle. What gauge is it?
    Take a look at the following link:
    Are you testing her blood glucose? Vetsulin (also called Caninsulin) is designed for dogs. Cats have a different metabolism. Vetsulin hits a cat hard and fast and usually does not last the full 12 hours.

Tagging @Suzanne & Darcy

If you don't get responses to any questions, please post in the Health Forum where there is more traffic.

3. CAROLESPER

CAROLESPER New Member

4. CAROLESPER

CAROLESPER New Member

I'm, pretty much in the same boat as you are.Newly diagnosed male cat 11 yrs old,the only thing is I gave my mother insulin shots a long time ago and I gave my rabbits subcutaneous shots years ago. My cat is not touchy tho and he lets me inject him most of the time along the back of neck below shoulder blades where I cut off most of his fur so I can see the skin . Someone told me I can wet the fur with water ( I don't want to use alcohol)to get the fur out of the way. I make a tent of the skin being sure I do not lift any of the flesh below it or any fat. Put in the needle sideways but sort of straight in, SLOWlLY and gently and quickly press the plunger steady but slow Best to check the amount of insulin you're injecting again before you do this. My cat lets me inject the area around the back of neck below the shoulder bladesThey say you can inject on either side of the spine,about 2 inches away from the spine but my cat flinches and wont let me do this.
    Saying all this I think you ought to go on Youtube immediately and type in giving cat injection,diabetes in cats etc. and watch all the videos you can.I found this to be most helpful. Good Luck.