Newbie food question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenifer, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

4219BED8-7FB1-4D62-A177-E30F6A6F2305.jpeg So I went and ordered a bunch of food that I checked first on the food chart. I got low carbs, medium carbs and then high carb food. But it delivered today and it doesn’t match what’s in the food chart. I ordered Fancy Feast Naturals which should be 0 carbs. But when I got it today, the cans are “gourmet naturals” and although the names are similar, they’re not exact. Is the chart just older than the food and they just revamped the name and flavors or.......?
    I am trying to keep food separated by carb count so I have been writing the carb amount on the cans for quick access when feeding her.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm in India and we don't get FF here so I cannot really help you with your question but you can use this carb calculator to calculate carb%. It will not be an exact number since the information on the product label would be "guaranteed analysis" vs "as fed" data. It will, however, give you a reasonable approximation.

Hopefully someone in the US should be able to respond to you tomorrow.

Jenifer and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I have a friend that orders all her cat food online (since covid) Her experience is, if the company that ships, is out of what you ordered, they ship something as close as possible to the specific name on the can.
    Its early here does that make sense?:p

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!!!

5. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

That does make sense. This is a little different situation as the can matches what I ordered but it doesn't match the spreadsheet list with all the different cat foods and their values on it. But if you google FF naturals, you will only find these "gourmet naturals" not just "naturals" like they're listed on the spreadsheet. And the meal names are basically the same, but the spreadsheet has "in broth" listed and the can says "in gravy."
    For instance the can above is "natural wild alaskan salmon" and the spreadsheet is "Natural Wild Alaskan Salmon & white meat in broth." I just didn't want to assume they were the same and end up feeding her something with a totally different carb count....... :)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

They def are not the same. ;) I think the gourmet came out after the naturals

Critter Mom and Jenifer like this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Here in India, wet food in a gravy base is always HC - across the few brands we get here. Again, I am hoping that someone in the US will provide you with information specific to FF.
    But if you use the carb calculator, you should definitely know if the food is broadly HC, MC or LC.

8. Jenifer

Jenifer Member

It is the same here with the gravy from what I’ve read. But I did use the carb calculator today! That really came in handy! Thank you

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

They will be different...
    The data on the can is just the 'guaranteed analysis' of minimum/maximum values for protein, fat, etc. It doesn't tell you what is currently in the product. For that it's usually necessary to contact the manufacturer and ask for that data. With premium foods it may be listed on the manufacturer's website (maybe 'as fed' data, or 'typical analysis). Dr Lisa has got all the correct data to do the calculations with for her food chart.
    That said...the chart was done a few years ago and it is possible that some of the info on there is now out of date...

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.