New user- prozinc

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Andrea8675309, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Andrea8675309

Andrea8675309 New Member

Hi there. My boy is 2 years old and recently diagnosed last week. His vet prescribed him 2 units of Prozinc and switching him to a wet food diet. Switched him to tiki cat because he hated fancy feast unfortunately. Anyways, my glucometer gets here tomorrow.
    Doesn’t 2 units seem a little high for starting out?
    Should I test him everyday consistently before meals? At what point do I not give it to him? Ahhh I feel so overwhelmed and just want to help him get into remission asap.

I wasn’t given any instructions other than how to inject his insulin.
    Thank you❤️

2. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome
    I am pretty new at all this as well but the people helping here are WONDERFUL KNOWLEDGEABLE and involved in helping us help our kitties.
    I suggest you start by reposting your introduction post in the Main forum (a lot more people monitoring there) with all the info and how your kitty was diagnosed. You will then get A TON of information on how to get started. It might be overwhelming at first but take it one step at a time (maybe even a half step at a time). Every thing that they will ask you to do...set up signature, spreadsheet, feeding and schedule, picking a dosing method, are all the stepping stones to help you the best that they can. @Diane Tyler's Mom will give you a wealth of introduction info.
    Good luck! Will see you around the forums.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I agree, lots of people to help on Main Forum, here is more specific questions once.youre up and running. I don't see a post over there yet but quickly - 2U is much too high, especially when doing a diet change.

Do you know if he had any ketones at diagnosis?

Have you given any shots yet?

My advice (if no ketones) would be to transition food first while monitoring BG and hold off on insulin.

I will also add - while remission is a good goal, know that it is just not always possible. Some cats are lucky enough, some remain diabetic for life. We always say aim for regulation first and foremost (BG in the 50-120 or 68-150 range depending on your meter).

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Andrea8675309

Andrea8675309 New Member

thank you so much for your help!! He did not have ketones. I hope remission is the case but if not, I will do everything I can for my boy! If his BG is 68-150 prior to eating with my alphatrak 2 I would NOT want to give insulin... Is that correct?

5. Lmiller86

Lmiller86 Member

That's right! Generally, under 150 means no shoot... Unless you stall and kitty comes higher. Have you seen this page? Has some info on that! https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/prozinc-dosing-methods.225629/

Good guidelines there and this board is super helpful!

Also, Melissa (FrostD) is a saint and so incredibly smart when it comes to understanding prozinc, cycles, and helping us all out! It will take some time and data for you to get your kitty figured out.

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Correct - for now. Eventually as you gather data you will learn what to do with the lower preshots. Theres some nuances that I won't overwhelm you with at the moment, I'll let you get settled with spreadsheet and testing and such.

Try to get his diet switched over the next week, and do some spot BG checks when you can. Once his food is totally switched let me know and we'll figure out dose - more than likely it will be around 0.5U.

This page has all the info you need to get up and running: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-how-you-can-help-us-help-you.216696/

You will want to buy some ketone test strips as well and test daily for those. Ketostix are fine. If you don't think you can test a urine sample, consider a blood ketone meter. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...and-diabetic-cats-a-primer-on-ketones.239971/

If.you think the diet change will take longer than a week let me know, we would probably want to start a small dose of insulin in the meantime.