New to this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lee cuzz, Jan 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

I'm Lee. My sugar baby is Raymond James. Week 6 and can't get him stable nor clear the loose stool. 3 units of Prozinc. BG, high. Thanks.. Probably have my BG numbers in the wrong place. A lot to learn..

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, Lee and Raymond James.

Great job getting your signature in place and the spreadsheet up and running. Here's helpful info on using the spreadsheet:]

Understanding the spreadsheet grid

I'm going to tag some experienced Prozinc users to have a look and hopefully give you some pointers:

@Deb & Wink
    @Panic
    @JanetNJ

In the meantime, there are some good 'sticky' posts at the top of the Prozinc support group board to help you learn more about your insulin and how to use it.

Can you tell us more about the loose stool problem?

Mogs

3. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

Welcome to this amazing group!I am also quite new here,but be sure you will get all the help you need! Try to avoid dry food completely and maybe talk to your vet adout a different type of insulin.There are some very experienced members in here to guide you. Good luck!

4. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you. I owe it all to Chris. R. Admid. She
    Thanks. Owe it to Chris. R. Admid. She has been spoon feeding me.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you. Raymond James eats only Dr.. Easley's. He was on Lantus for three weeks then vet sold me and changed to Prozinc. Neither are doing anything.

6. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

7. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

Give him time,I hope for the best!

Lee cuzz likes this.
  8. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Aw, thank you. Everyone is so sweet and supportive. We all think very highly of this group!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lee I'm sure some of the experienced members will be on later.Just a
    question on your SS where it has AMPS there is no test number
    That is the first test you take in the morning, are you putting that in the +1 cell
    Same thing applies for PMPS ( the first test 12 hours later )
    Can you can more tests in at night

@JanetNJ

@Deb & Wink

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Lee cuzz likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! My cat didnt see a number under 300 for about 10 weeks. Be patient. Remember that this is not a death sentence and they can live long healthy lives with it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

What have you tried for the loose stool?

12. Critter Mom

For all following the thread:

Lee's reply from post #6:

Either liquid or soft stool since Dec2nd. Friskies, Fancy Feast is worse. Poor guy, don' know what to feed him. Now on fresh turkey and probiotic.

Mogs

13. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

I have a question on where to place the morning test at 8:30 am before insulin at 9am.? Still trying to figure the SS out. Was gonna test again in mid afternoon. Guess I need to get more numbers. I working on it. Thank you.

14. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

A lot. Two rounds of proviable and metronidazole, pumpkin, little rice, I know carbs, boiled frozen chicken, quit that, high in sodium. Third round of proviable caps.

15. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you. Difficult seeing no improvement. Hope not wrecking havoc on his kidneys..

16. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Ok, got it. Keep hearing Judge Judy, Lee put your listening ears on. Takes me a while, I will get there. Thank you..

Critter Mom likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

The preshot morning test will go in the column called amps (am preshot) them you put the number of units you shoot next to it. The +1, +2, ect are for any tests you take mid cycle. SO, IF YOU shoot at 9 am, then do a test at 1pm, the number you get would go in the +4 column because it was 4 hours after the shot. We do it this way because we are all in different time zones. In the evening your preshot test would go in the pmps column.

Lee cuzz and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  18. JanetNJ

If you have tried all this and it's still loose I'm thinking maybe a novel protien like rabbit might be what he needs. You haven't tried FortiFlora yet which helps my cat Julie. So that's another thing you could try.

19. JanetNJ

So you have A copy of his latest Bloodwork you could post? If not call the vet office and ask the receptionist to email it to you. He has no infections going on? How are his teeth?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for explaining neighbor, I was just about to do it
    Have a good day Janet

Lee cuzz likes this.
  21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Confused about your +5 where it says 426@+2.30?
    You said you tested at 8:30 AM and gave insulin at 9:00 AM

If you gave the insulin at 9:00 AM did you mean to put 426@+5.5?
    That would be 2-1/2 hours after shooting insulin
    If so you would put 426@+5.5

22. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

I
    I have copies of bloodwork, 7 pages. Sorry, don't know how to get the hard copies to my laptop. Vet checked teeth

23. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Vet said proviable same as fortflora. Yes?

24. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Tested today at 2:30pm.. Still working on this.. thanks.. Morning test close to 9a.

25. JanetNJ

They are both probiotics. I give proviable to my diabetic. I just know FortiFlora works good on my cat Julie.

Pumpkin is worth continuing too.

Is it actual diarrhea or like soft serve? Lol

26. JanetNJ

Can you snap pics of it with a phone and attach it? Or you can add it to the labs tab of your spreadsheet. (I like putting all my cats Bloodwork there so I can compare them over time.)

Lee cuzz likes this.
  27. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you for fixing that :cat:
    The only reason I mentioned it was because we are all in different time zones , so when you put down the time it means nothing to us .:cat:

Lee cuzz likes this.
  28. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

This will be helpful to read :cat:

.25 would mean 15 minutes
    .5 would be a half hour.
    .75 would be 3/4 of an hour
    I will give you an example let's say you give the insulin shot at 9:00 AM /9:00 PM

Now you test again at 11:15 and the BG was 258 you would put 258 @+2.25 in the +2 cell (column)

If you tested at 11:30. It would be 258 @+2.5 in the +2 cell (column)

If you tested at 11:45. It would be 258 @+2.75 in the +2 cell (column)

Hope this helps :cat:

29. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Yes, will work on that. Computers drive me nuts. Also, can't get the cell in excel to change back to white, still in red.. Geezz

30. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  31. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Raymond James blood work.

Attached Files:

JanetNJ likes this.
  32. JanetNJ

Nothing is standing out to me on this as a sign of what would be causing the loose stool. If it's really liquidy it could actually be from constipation and the liquid is stuff moving around the impacted stool. My cat Zimmy had that. Pumpkin solved to problem in that case. I would think the vet would have felt for that though. I hope it resolves for you.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  33. JanetNJ

I would raise to 3.5 in the morning. Try to get a before bed test in if you can.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  34. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Any other suggestions for high BG.? Vet is calling tonight and probably will increase to 3.5U. I'm getting nowhere but higher numbers, thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  35. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Don't understand, raise to 3.5, is that insulin?

36. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

How did your cat stabilize in 10 weeks? What insulin, how many units for 10 weeks?? Thanks...

37. JanetNJ

I wouldn't say she stabilized in 10 weeks, just that that's when her numbers finally came down.i had to find her breakthrough dose, which for my cat was 3 units. She did go into remission after 4 months though. I was really lucky. She stayed in remission for a year but has been out of remission for 3 years now. You have not found her breakthrough dose yet... But we will.

Critter Mom and Lee cuzz like this.
  38. JanetNJ

You are giving 3 units right now. It doesn't seem to be enough. I would raise to 3.5u at the next shot.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  39. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

ok, thank you..

40. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you for the information. I'm burning out like a lot of us!!!

41. JanetNJ

I just wanted to say, Dr elseys gives one of my cats diarrhea. Not sure if that's the issue for you though.

Lee cuzz and Critter Mom like this.
  42. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Ok, thanks. He doesn't get much, less than 1/4 cup. Vet says high BG will cause soft stool, I guess. Did raise insulin to 3.5.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  43. JanetNJ

Good, I think he needed that increase. Your numbers remind me of emily's cat, Nico. She started in all black and reds too.... then when we found her breakthrough dose those numbers dropped a lot. You'll find it. :)

Lee cuzz likes this.
  44. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't think my "old school vet" knows much about FD. I know I've asked this before, I'm sure the diet for Raymond James is not helping. Can't feed wet foods, blow the litter box out, liquid BM. Is there any kind of roughage I can give him? Can I chop some lettuce with his chicken, turkey and feed him that. As you know, thank you for all your expertise.

45. Critter Mom

Canned pure pumpkin can help with both constipation and diarrhoea. Probiotics can help with loose stool.

Mogs

JanetNJ likes this.
  46. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Yes, he's on that also. Soft stool, pudding-like, not formed. Only has the liquid BM when he eats fancy feast, Friskies. Oh well...

47. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Can you recommend a dry food for my other cats?? I no longer leave dry food out for them all day, learned it's mostly junk. Thanks.

48. JanetNJ

For my non diabetics I do make some dry available. I give them wysong epigen 90 which is under 10 carb. Some feed dr elseys chicken which I have but my cats don't care for it. Another is young again zero carb but I can't leave that out because my cat Julie will get diarrhea for a week if she eats even 2 kibble. She must be allergic.

All three companies will send a free sample if you write and ask.

Critter Mom likes this.
  49. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you, you're the best!!!

50. JanetNJ

But I do feed ALL my cats wet food and it's available all day to them. One just hates wet which is why we leave a bit of the epigen 90 out. Wet is best.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  51. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Janet, critter mom, Diane tyler, how long do i wait between increases of insulin. One, Two weeks? Thanks... No progress from 3.5 units increased last monday..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  52. JanetNJ

I'd go ahead and raise at the next shot. 4u

Lee cuzz likes this.
  53. JanetNJ

with your numbers so high I'd probably increase every 3 days until you start seeing some numbers in the low yellows.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  54. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

ok, thank you. That's what my sister said, critical care RN.. ICU, need to get his BG down...
    As you know, will lead to other problems, kidneys, etc...

55. JanetNJ

56. JanetNJ

Is his poop any better?

57. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

ah, little more formed, not liquid, thanks for asking... Thinking what I'm feeding him isn't helping BG. Fresh turkey , chicken, probiotic, pumpkin, 1/2 teaspoon and Friskies pate.. blows out litter box with can food... also bought pedialyte.. couple of handfuls of dr. easleys dry.

58. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

can only see nico's numbers from this month. Low dosage but numbers up and down. Heard, hard to regulate BG in cats. Thank you for your support and compassion..

59. Critter Mom

Hi Lee,

If you look below the rows in Nico's spreadsheet on the left hand side of the screen, you should see a tab labelled '2020'. If you click on that, it'll show you Nico's readings from last year.

Mogs

Lee cuzz likes this.
  60. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

I see, some BG #'s as high as raymond james. Three month's before BG #'s leveled? Did give 4 units tonight...
    How often should a curve be done? Raymond James has his at vet on 12-29-2020. Thanks..

61. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Yikes. BG dropped to 254, at 3pm. Should I test again at 7p, and 9p. Still give 4 units at 9p, if he's still at 254...??
    Thanks, knew we would get low and then not know what to do...... How low is too low to give 4 units??? Thanks..

62. Critter Mom

Hi Lee,

I can't help on the Prozinc side of things (haven't used it). Tagging some experienced Prozinc users for you to ask them to give you some input on dosing:

@JanetNJ
    @Panic
    @Deb & Wink

Mogs

Panic and Lee cuzz like this.
  63. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

k, thanks. Will they contact me here under my thread?? Two consecutive reading at 5pm, 441 and 386. What to believe???

64. JanetNJ

Maybe you want to consider making your own food. Perhaps he allergic to a preservative out food coloring in the canned food.

Lee cuzz likes this.
  65. JanetNJ

You would have to click on the other tab at the bottom.

66. JanetNJ

Hooray for a yellow number!!! That's great news!!! Why day yikes? This is what we want to happen!!! Good progress.

67. JanetNJ

Either one is high. The real number is probably in between. Lol. You could always average them. Personally I like the lower one. ;) Looks like he's bouncing. He's not used to numbers that low. I look forward to seeing even more progress in the next few days.

68. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

There's a lot of time between now and then. The fact that he's already coming up leads me to believe he's going to be higher at PMPS anyway.

Yes, you'd continue with the 4U dose. 254 is a better number, but it's still not a particularly good one.

Also, you really need to be getting tests on the PM cycle too. Without PM tests, you're missing half the data which is like trying to guess what the puzzle picture is when you only have pieces filled in on the left side. You don't necessarily have to stay up all night, but getting at least a +2 or +3 can often help (and if they're lower than the PS, it might be a good idea to set an alarm to get another test later).

A lot of us would drink a big glass of water in the evening so we "had to" get up....and as long as we were up, might as well grab a quick BG test from the cat!

Critter Mom likes this.
  69. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Welp, how do I join the prozinc forum? Don't know what do dose tonight?? Thanks for everything, I know, I panic...

Critter Mom likes this.
  70. Chris & China (GA)

This is the ProZinc Forum but it can be a little slow there sometimes. You could post there and then post here too .....just put the link to your ProZinc forum into the body of your post here so people can quickly go over to answer you there.

Critter Mom likes this.
  71. Lee cuzz

Lee cuzz Member

Thank you. Soooo concerning when I have no idea. I will try to get more numbers at night. Don't want to overdose.. Appreciate everything!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  72. Chris & China (GA)

There's no reason you can't give 4U again tonight unless he drops below 200 at shot time (which I don't see happening). But if it does, stall, DON'T feed and test again in 20-30 minutes.

Use that time to start a new thread with a clear subject line like "STALLING! NEED HELP!" (hey, it usually works...LOL) You can go back and edit the subject line later once you have somebody's help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.