New to the forum with a kitty that's not doing great

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ashley N, Aug 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The health ain't been so good, but my heart never left, Elise! I have missed being here so much. It is good to be back, and very good indeed to 'see' you again. :)

Mogs

2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Are you pulling an all nighter? It must be the middle of the night over there!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Nah, it isn't even 2am yet. The night is young! :smuggrin:

Being more serious, I have chronic insomnia (anxiety disorder-related). Also have been monitoring my civvie, Lúnasa. I needed to give her some meds not long ago. Among other things, she's currently on antibiotics for a UTI and her food and fluid consumption's been disrupted by them. Been a bit of a rough ride lately. :( I'm shattered. While I've put in more than my fair share of all-nighters down the years, tonight ain't gonna be one of them: hitting the sleep meds very shortly.

Mogs

4. Critter Mom

Hi Jasmine,

I'm glad that Ashley, Dad and Yuki have you there with them.

Could you update us with the following info so that members contributing to your thread get a SITREP of how things are right now (BST 0207 is local time in the UK as I type this):

1. A rough estimate, if you have one, of how much water Yuki drank earlier (half cup, full cup, more?).

2. How many hours it has been since the good drink.

3. Have you managed to syringe *any* water since the big drink? If yes, how much? (Doesn't matter if it's only a few millimetres, it all counts.)

4. Has Yuki peed at all? Any hope of getting a ketone test? (If you do manage to get a ketone test it might give you some bit better of what might be going on with your little one.)

I'm in the UK so will be signing off shortly. I'm sorry I'm not able to stay to keep you company. Would you be so kind as to pass on a hug from me to Ashley, please?

Prayers on their way to all of you.

:bighug:

Mogs

5. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Hello!
    My dad estimates It was about 2 ounces of water she drank around noon. It's creeping on 7 hours of no water. We've tried syringe feeding and it didn't go too well. Yuki was having none of it, but I am definately willing to try again as well as get some more fluids in her. I can also attempt a blood test. I think my dad and sister are reluctant to keep treating Yuki because they are not convinced she will make it and don't want to cause further discomfort. I thank you all so much for your help. If continued treatment is the answer for Yuki I certainly will try to do everything I can at home.

Also, she has not urinated today, so we have not had a chance to check ketones.

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I hope you are feeling better! You have been missed. :bighug:

7. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

We tried syringe feeding and she got a tiny bit of food in. She was actually really fighting back hard. She is definately still feisty. It's so hard to gage what's going on of course with no vet care at the moment. She seems so lethargic, but she certainly can muster energy to fight back syringe feeding. That's why I still have hope, but it might just mean she has more room to deteriorate which is hard to think about. I hope she can turn a corner somehow. All prayers for our family are welcome <3

8. Critter Mom

Hi Jasmine,

Sorry I couldn't stay up with you last night. Checking in to ask how you're all doing.

Sending more prayers for all of you.

:bighug:

Mogs

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Here too...:bighug:

Jasmine N likes this.
  10. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Update on Yuki: We've got a little fighter on our hands. Yuki decided to eat some food this morning. My dad opened a can of her favorite food and she ate some. She didn't eat much and really was licking the juice. My sister tried testing ketones after Yuki peed and It showed up negative, but she's not sure if It was accurate. She said the sand was moist when she tested it and wasn't sure how long the urine had been sitting on the sand. We are hoping to get some fluids for her. What do you all recommend?

11. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Thank you for your prayers you are so kind!

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Thank you <3

13. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hooray for Yuki!!!!

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

I was trying to read back through on the suggestions you've already gotten, but basically, they're all good, if she's starting to get her appetite back you can feed her anything she wants right now. If she's licking her usual food, you can try adding a bit of water to it to see if you can get a little extra liquid into her that way.

15. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Some cats will drink the tuna water if you open up a can and drain it for her. See if she’d take that. If she does, you can try to pour over the food to see if she’ll eat more like Nan suggested. I forget, but have you tried baby food yet? That works 99% of the time.

I think electrolytes are important right now as well. Do you have any coconut water? I’d offer that as well come cats like it. If she won’t drink it, I’d syringe some coconut water into her.

I know you can’t afford the ER, but do you have a regular vet you can call tomorrow? Getting some fluids into her subcutaneously can be done at the vet’s office and it should not be pricey. They can also show you how to do it at home after that. It’s fairly simple. Those are my suggestions and sending continued prayers your way!

16. Nan & Amber (GA)

Totally agree. I also think it would be really good for Yuki to see her vet to get a once-over if you can swing it. You may not be able to get a demo on sub-q fluids with the COVID restrictions, but we can help with that with tips and videos on giving fluids. It's actually much easier than coaxing a reluctant cat to drink!

17. jt and trouble (GA)

I echo Ale. FLUIDS is what she needs, her appetite could improve greatly.

GO YUKI GOOOOO!!!

18. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

If you are close enough to the vet you could buy some Hill's I/D pate it is very smooth and easy to water down to force feed, also ask at the vet's for a large syringe. Another food is Hill's A/D this has more calories, but most kitty's love it, if kitty is not eating this is a good option. If you must force feed add lots of water to the food, that kitty is eating & drinking at the same time. Please do this right away, don't take any chances with this little one. Both of these foods are smooth and easy to force feed.

19. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Yes much easier! I had to do it for my late cat by myself so I’d hang the fluid bag on a coat hanger next to the bed. With you, Ashley and dad it will be a piece of cake. If you can shoot insulin, you can do this.

20. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

Please contact Diabetic cats In Need, you contact Lisa@dcin.info, you can also contact diabetic cats in need on facebook. Sometimes they are able to help with the vet bill. Please do not do anything rash until you talk to them and try the Hill's food I mentioned. I force feed my cat the I/D all the time when he is having a pancreatitis flare, I add lots of water so if he is not drinking it is no big problem. If the kitty should have problems and need more calories A/D is perfect. you can also contact Chris & China here on FDMB they are with DCIN. Please try all of these things first.

21. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Ah, God is so good! Yuki is currently sitting over her bowl of water and is drinking little by little. She's been doing this for the last 10 minutes. We are watching her closely and will continue to help this baby fight. We got the chicken baby food and will try that since she has hydrated herself a bit better. We also are going to give her coconut water for electrolytes. She will be going to her vet tomorrow. She's really looking more alert. While she was drinking water her eyes seemed really "on." Her water and food are by a sliding glass door and she loves peeking to see the backyard. She was doing that while drinking her water which she hasn't done since she got ill. We also do want to give her sub-q liquids.
    I have to keep saying thank you to you all. It is so comforting to have found a community of caring people who are also so knowledgeable.

22. Critter Mom

Hi Jasmine,

Thanks so much for letting us know how you're all doing over there. So glad - for all of you - to hear that Yuki's managing to eat a little bit.

I suggest printing off the baby food and cat soup section of the following webpage and popping to the shops to see if you can get hold of some of the items listed:

http://felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm#broth

I'd suggest trying the chicken baby food and the plainest chicken soup options (easiest digested) and tuna soup (stronger flavour). Be sure that any baby foods you choose don't have onion or garlic (they're not safe for cats).

I've been able to get my Lúnasa to drink more by using the soup liquids with lots of added water (1:6 ratio of broth to water) to help keep her hydrated. Also, many members here have found their cats can be tempted to eat a little of the simple meat and broth only baby foods when they won't eat anything else. If you get a small selection you can find out what she likes and then get more of those varieties later.

If you can get a reasonable amount of fluids into Yuki it might make her feel a bit better and more inclined to eat.

More later, but in the meantime sending more prayers and :bighug::bighug::bighug:.

Mogs

23. Critter Mom

Quick tip:

Place a couple of layers of cling film (saran wrap??) over the litter in Yuki's litter box, ready for when she next has a pee. It'll be easier to collect the sample to test with the ketone test strips.

Mogs

24. jt and trouble (GA)

OH MY GOSH thank you! For NOT GIVING UP! Our kitties are mysterious little creatures that surprise elate and yes even sadden us. So happy she is turning around and PLEASE investigate DCIN They may be able to help.

Prayers continue.:bighug:

25. Critter Mom

C'mon, Yuki. Drink and eat a little more for your beans.

[​IMG]

Mogs

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thank you for the update! Best news ever!!! We DO care, sometimes too much and I hope it didn’t overwhelm you. We always have the kitties’ best interest at heart. I’m really hoping she just injested some of the oil and it got her not feeling great, but she’s recovering now. I’ll keep hoping and I’ll keep praying!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Tagging @Chris & China (GA) who works with DCIN.

So glad Yuki has started (just) to turn a corner.

28. Critter Mom

@Jasmine N , @Ashley N -

Just checking in to ask how Yuki's getting on.

Has Yuki pooped at all in the last couple of days? If yes, how long ago and did her poops look normal: shape, colour, odour, soft/firm?

Mogs

29. Critter Mom

@Jasmine N, @Ashley N -

Good morning to you all.

A couple of thoughts for the vet visit:

1. See this nausea symptom checklist and make note of all the symptoms Yuki has displayed and tell your vet about all of them.

2. Ask for anti-nausea meds. A Cerenia injection would get into Yuki's system quickly and might help faster, but you'll also need to get a prescription for ondansetron or Cerenia (or both!) to give to Yuki at home. It can sometimes take a couple of weeks for a nauseated cat to get back to eating properly and they need the supportive meds. Even if they get back to normal a bit quicker, having the supportive meds at home to use if needed makes the world of difference in making sure a kitty eats and drinks enough. This is doubly applicable for diabetic cats where you need to make sure that the cat has enough food AND insulin (don't want to get into ketone or hypo territory).

3. Ask for an appetite stimulant IN ADDITION to the anti-nausea meds (cyproheptadine or mirtazapine are the ones most commonly prescribed for cats). Don't settle for an appy stimulant alone: if a cat's nausea is not treated then either the appy stimulant won't work or, if it does, the cat may feel compelled to eat but will feel sick while it's doing so. This can lead to the cat developing long-term food aversions (and that doesn't help anyone!).

4. As a precaution - and to make sure Yuki gets all the meds she needs today - I strongly recommend asking your vet if they can perform a SNAP fPL test for Yuki. The test checks whether there is any inflammation of the pancreas and can be done on the spot, a bit like a pregnancy test, so no need to send a blood sample out to a lab.* I make this suggestion just in case there might be a chance the motor oil incident could have caused some acute inflammation of the pancreas because, if were to be inflamed, it should be automatically assumed that the cat will need pain relief (e.g. buprenorphine). Treating the pain obviously makes the kitty more comfortable but it also helps the cat to eat better and can significantly speed up recovery. (For reference, all of the meds mentioned here are covered in the IDEXX pancreatitis treatment guidelines.)

5. An injection of vitamin B12 can give a kitty a boost, and it can also help with appetite.

Sending all good wishes for a successful vet visit, prayers for Yuki's food and fluid intake to continue improving, and :bighug::bighug::bighug: for the rest of you. We're all rooting for you here. Be sure to let us know how things go today.

Mogs

(* For info: a Spec fPL does need to go to a lab. It measures the severity of inflammation. It's not necessary when just determining whether or not a cat needs pain relief.)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  30. Jasmine N

Jasmine N New Member

Hello everyone,
    This will be my last post here. Yuki has gained her angel wings today 8/17/20. We had our precious baby for 10 loving years. We went to the vet this morning and we received a disheartening prognosis. A tumor was found in Yuki' s abdomen. The vet let us know that even if she were to get it operated on it would be complicated with her diabetic condition. We de decided along with our vet that the the most humane thing to do for our precious baby is to let her go in peace rather than prolong her suffering. We stayed with her the entire process and have brought her home to lay her to rest. I was hopeful yesterday, but going to the vet today it was clear Yuki was not getting better. Thank you again for all your support and care. I wish you all love and health. We are at peace that our baby is no longer suffering.

31. jt and trouble (GA)

OHHHHHH I am SO so sorry to hear this news. My heart breaks for you and family. Its heart wrenching but for Yuki it is best
    Please let your sister know she (and you) are still members of this family and can come back to vent anytime.We are here for you.

Fly free sweet Yuki land ever so softly back in the hearts that love you so.
    May your spirit stay close!:bighug::rb_icon::bighug:

32. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry to read your last post. I was reading from the beginning and hoping for a positive outcome. It's evident the amount of love you had for dear little Yuki by the try and will you and your family displayed. It's so hard to lose one of our little fur babies. :bighug:

33. Nan & Amber (GA)

Oh no....

Be at peace, Yuki. You were so deeply loved :rb_icon:.

34. Critter Mom

Oh, Jasmine...

I am so sorry to hear your sad, sad news. You all did everything you could to help your precious Yuki. And you filled her whole life with love and caring. What more could a kitty wish for.

Please can you also convey my condolences to Ashley and your dad. Yuki will always be in your hearts.

(((Spirit Yuki and Family)))

Mogs

35. jt and trouble (GA)

Thank you Mogs. In my haste I forgot to mention Ashley and Dad. Sigh..
    You all did right by your little girl. Shes now your Guardian Angel watching over you. :bighug:

36. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m so sorry for your loss. I think we all fell in love with Yuki too! I hope you and your family, Ashley and dad, find comfort in knowing she’s a leave now. RIP Yuki cat_wings>o:rb_icon:cat_wings>o

37. jt and trouble (GA)

Yeah we get attached easily sigh

38. Critter Mom

That's no bad thing, Jeanne. :bighug:

39. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I was catching up and reviewing the story, and am now in tears. A beautiful new angel just crossed the bridge:rb_icon:

Hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug: Yuki's family:bighug::bighug::bighug:

40. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

I am so sorry for you and your family’s loss Yuki fly free sweetheart no pain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.