New to PZ thread 3

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by ittybitty, Jul 10, 2023.

1. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

Previous thread : https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-to-pz-thread-2.278649/

@Suzanne & Darcy
    Let me know what you think of the SS. I know I’ve been switching doses way too frequently. I’ve had several days where I couldn’t monitor or wasn’t sure that I could monitor the entire cycle and had to give some lower doses. I’m not sure why we are fairly rapidly hitting greens in the PM, where the AM dose doesn’t seem to have the same effect (although I also don’t have as much AM data to prove that). Also not sure if I should change my dose of insulin or adjust his feedings.
    Also confused why some days the PMPS is lower than +11, where I would expect the insulin to have worn off and PS be higher?

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I still think that you are doing a great job. It does look like when he is in the 130-150 range that the .75 unit dose works well (unless you want to go for lower greens, which, with your work schedule could be problematic.) You do have a little leeway though with his current dosing because his greens are on the higher end. I feel pretty good about them. How about you?

Are you wondering why, like tonight, he was at 192 at 11.5, but then at PMPS he was at 184? With the +/- 20% meter variance, those numbers are actually just flat and not really going down. So I would say he’s getting really excellent duration! I hope things have settled down with your family now - and everything is okay.

ittybitty likes this.
  3. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

I feel good about the greens… and I feel like his numbers have been pretty good even with my dosing being all over the place. That’s my main concern is lack of consistency with what I’m giving and wondering if I should pick a dose and hold it or keep doing what I have been. I wouldn’t mind lower greens when I’m home. Is there anything bad about dosing being different frequently, other than it doesn’t really follow protocol. But since PZ isn’t a depot insulin, it doesn’t have a lot of affect on future doses? Just trying to plan ahead- if I shoot for more consistent greens it’s mainly going to be on days I’m home and then have to use a safer dose on work days until I have plenty of data. I was also a little worried about how quick he was hitting greens at +3 on PM cycle.

We had talked about needing to see what 1U would do with some of these lower PS numbers, what’s the lowest BG you would shoot 1U as long as I can monitor?

And yes- tonight is one example… there have been several times like that but I can see that as flat now that you point it out.

I also never really picked a custom reduction point, but I really don’t want to reduce due to that 71 so I guess I might pick 70. Do you think that’s reasonable.

Thank you for taking the time to look at his SS, I really appreciate it!

4. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

At the rate he is going, I won’t need to know how low to shoot 1U. I’m adjusting dosages based off PSBG as good as I can. Whenever you time time to look at his SS, let me know your ideas. I know it’s too soon to know but I’ve got my fingers crossed for remission.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

This is exciting to see all those blue preshot numbers! When will you next be off work to get a really good idea of how Tuko is doing on the .5 dose?

ittybitty likes this.
  6. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

Today & tomorrow.

7. Suzanne & Darcy

So far so good. He seems to have chosen the new dose and he is doing great on it. I’m really happy to see this. It’s a good sign.

ittybitty likes this.
  8. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

I went up to 0.75 for tonight since he was closer to 200. I think somewhere between 0.5 and 0.75 maybe the right dose. I’m glad to see these numbers though!

I would like a little more green than I had today but I need more data too. I think he’s in green longer than I know on the days that my PMPS was lower.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m expecting a lower preshot this morning.

I agree about the .5 - .75 dose. But this is progress from the 1 - .75 dose.

ittybitty likes this.
  10. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

He dropped a lot faster last night than I was expecting as compared to a similar PMPS as the night before. I’m not sure there was anyway to see that coming other than getting that +2 test. He was still in safe numbers, but lower than I would like for that early in PM cycle.
    What would you advise as an absolute no shoot number based on the data I have? I was surprised with tonight’s PS but shot 0.1U since I am home and can monitor.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Hmmm. I always like to see ProZinc kitties getting a +2 snack and usually a +3 snack at least. I wish we could have seen how he did today on the .25 dose! But what about tonight? Can you do any tests? Set any alarms to get a test? I feel like I can’t answer your no-shoot question yet, but I think for now that if he’s under 100, if I were not home to monitor, that I would not shoot. If I were home it would be different.

ittybitty likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

What do you think?

13. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

I can change his meals if I need to. Right now for PM he gets 1/2 can (1.5oz) at shot time and then +3 and +6. If you think I should adjust, let me know what to change. If possible I would like to keep it to 1.5cans/cycle. I plan to get a +2 test and was hopeful not to have to set alarms since I work tomorrow and was up getting those tests last night. Depending on the +2, I may have to get back up.
    Yes, I agree with nothing under 100. I’m kinda just guessing on anything between 100-120 whether to do 0.1 or 0.25. Obviously the lower the PS, I would use the lower dose.

You may have seen the comment where I gave him an extra 1/2 can of LC which was around +2.5 last night. But then he didn’t eat any of the 1/2can from +3.

Edited to add: +2 was 103

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  14. Suzanne & Darcy

I agree that 3 cans per day is good. Also, the +3 snack has worked well for him so far. I would only change it if he seems to start dropping earlier than he has in the past. I think it’s probably just that he is starting from a lower place and we are concerned- rather than any real change in his onset time.

ittybitty likes this.
  15. Suzanne & Darcy

And yes, I agree that right now if he’s between 100 and 120 that it’s a choice between.1 and.25. That’s why I was hoping to have data on tonight’s.1 dose, but just do what you can. You’ve done such a great job with him and there will be future times to get data on how he is doing with .1 and a lower preshot.

ittybitty likes this.
  16. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

Based on todays numbers, I feel like I could try a higher dose tomorrow while I’m home to monitor. Would you suggest 0.5 or something between 0.25 and 0.5?

17. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

Just checking in.. I’ve been trying to hold the 0.5U dose as much as possible for some consistency. I’m considering switching to U100 syringes and use the conversion chart as that would seem to help with smaller doses. My only hesitancy is 0.5U won’t line up on the U100 syringe and that seems to be my most common dose at this time, although I could probably use 0.6U instead. Suggestions? Or keep doing what I’m doing with current syringes. Do people ever swap back and forth between U40 and U100 syringes based on the dose they need or if I switch to U100 then I should stick with them?

18. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

@Suzanne & Darcy

If you have time, please let me know if you would just continue to hold the 0.6U dose that I’ve been using for about a week. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to improve anything if there’s room for improvement.
    Thanks!

19. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Krista! How are you? I have been thinking about you and how I hadn’t heard anything from you in a while. Now I see that I somehow missed your last few messages. I’m not sure how? I didn’t get emails telling me that there was a new post on your thread. You are using the U-100 syringes now and the ReliOn meter.

Anyway, Tuko is doing just splendid. You are seeing green most cycles. I’m really pleased. You could perhaps tweak the dose, but with your schedule it could be tricky. How are you feeling overall about how he is doing?

ittybitty likes this.
  20. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

Yes, I couldn’t get the test strips for my One Touch meter at the discount I always had so I switched meters. And then I’d been debating on changing syringes so I went ahead so that maybe I could have a tad more consistency. I felt like 0.25 and 0.75 may not have always been consistent. I honestly thought I may be headed toward some 0.2 or 0.1 doses too but as it turns out even at 100, he tolerates the 0.6U.

I feel good about it. I’m not sure if I could get it any better/lower or if I should just give him a bit longer at this dose to see how he continues to do. If you were to tweak it, what dose would you try? (Obviously on a day I could monitor).
    Also, do you feel like I have enough data to continue to shoot 0.6U for a PS as low as 100 on work days?

21. Suzanne & Darcy

I noticed how well he is doing on this .6 dose - even on August 7 when his preshot was 100. He just flattens out nicely. Tuko is the perfect cat for you, Krista! Look at him also on August 13 (today)! He did great. With the greens he is seeing that are not close to 50, and with him being stable and not diving, I feel like you are safe shooting the .6 dose when he is 100 or above. I would hold this dose fpr now and not change it, unless he makes moves toward a reduction (based on nadirs) or if his preshot is below 100.

ittybitty likes this.
  22. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

I do feel like I got lucky with a kitty who is mostly predictable compared to a lot of other SS I’ve looked at. It’s also a bit easier the second time around, not quite as scary as when he was first diagnosed for sure. Thanks so much for looking at his SS for me!

23. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Krista! Long time. How are you and Tuko doing. He looks good with his BG numbers. Very consistent.

ittybitty likes this.
  24. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

We are doing good! Do you think I need to just keep holding at 0.6U? That’s what I’m thinking unless I get to a point that I need to reduce.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I agree that the .6 dose is working really well for him right now and considering his schedule, it’s a good dose with pretty decent numbers (especially in the p.m. cycle!)

ittybitty likes this.
  26. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

Yes, PM cycle is definitely more green. I plan to get more AM data just to see what’s happening and can adjust his dose if needed.

27. Suzanne & Darcy

Good. When would your next opportunity be?

28. ittybitty

ittybitty Member

The next couple of days.

29. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Krista! I’m thinking of you and Tuko. I hope you’re doing all right. I see you had COVID. I hope you have not been too ill. Tuko seems okay, although understandably you have not tested as much lately. I miss talking to you and checking in on how he’s doing— so I am just stopping by and saying hello.