New to PZ & Feline Diabetes - Is my insulin denatured?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Elijah & Dingus, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Elijah & Dingus

Elijah & Dingus New Member

Hi everyone! My cat, Dingus, was diagnosed in July 2023. I got a vial of PZ for him, and it's been going well. Despite being as careful as possible, I have butterfingers, and I've accidentally dropped it twice getting it out of the fridge. I noticed that it usually is completely separated when I take it out, with a layer of cloudy white substance at the bottom with no visible particles and a fair amount of clear liquid sitting on top of it. The insulin did not do this when I first got it, it was usually somewhat mixed/cloudy white. I still had to roll it, but it wasn't nearly as obvious of a separation between the two substances. I'm worried that dropping it twice has denatured the vial.

I have not noticed any particles floating in it, and I look very carefully every time I use it to make sure there aren't any particles sitting in the vial. I think there were some white particles in it after the first time I dropped it, but after gently rolling the vial, they went away and haven't come back.

Dingus doesn't seem to be doing any differently than when I first started him on the insulin, so I think it's still good? But I just need to make sure, I don't want to use something that I shouldn't be using. I'm at work right now, but I can post a picture of the vial tonight if that would help explain a little better what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I can’t really give an opinion on if his numbers are changed since I don’t see any entries on his spreadsheet. If there are particles in the insulin it needs to be replaced, but you already knew that and you said you didn’t see any. If you are getting numbers with your home testing (similar nadirs) to before you dropped the vial, then I would say it’s okay.