? new to ProZinc and unsure about shooting tonight/dosing (time sensitive but not 911)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shadycat, Jun 11, 2021.

1. shadycat

shadycat Member

Hello, my sugar kitty Ella had been on Vetsulin and switched just this Tuesday p.m. to ProZinc because the vetsulin was causing so many dramatic ups and downs. She had been on 2.5u vetsulin 2x/day, and the vet rx 1 unit prozinc 2x/day. She was staying pretty high on 1u so I increased her next shots to about 1.25-1.3 and she was still staying high, so this morning I went up to 2 units. Maybe I should have checked with the vet first, but I don't 100% trust them after they pushed vetsulin on us for so long. I looked back at my GA sugarcat Shady's old spreadsheet and saw he got 3u ProZinc at Ella's a.m. bg per our old vet's sliding scale, so I figured 2 was safe to go up to.

Ella is due for her shot now (overdue by an hour actually) and bg is currently 280. I know that isn't low, but I have never shot that low with her. I am thinking to go back to 1u for tonight's shot, does that sound reasonable? Shady's old sliding scale had him at 3u for 400+, 2u for 300-400, 1u for 200-300, and no insulin below 200.

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

It looks like the ProZinc is working, which is good! I’ve been on ProZinc for a couple of months (was on Vetsulin before too), and I just got used to shooting low numbers…yellow preshot values were out of the norm for us for a long time so I was afraid to shoot a full dose at them, but now that I’m shooting a full dose in the blues (finally!) I’m seeing much better numbers. It looks like you’re testing enough to be able to shoot those values and monitor, but I don’t blame you for reducing tonight either. The ProZinc forum is t heavily trafficked as I’m sure you’re seeing now haha.

shadycat likes this.
  3. shadycat

shadycat Member

Thank you! :) Yes, I am glad to see lower pre-shot numbers, that is what I was hoping for switching, just need to get used to it! Hopefully it will continue. As far as me testing frequently, I wish I was that good at testing! lol. Ella has a continuous glucose meter (libre freestyle) on. It will run out and be removed in 5 days so I will have to get better at home testing as I guess they don't usually keep them on cats constantly (not sure if it the glue causing skin damage if it is on too much, or just the expense).

Hshray likes this.
  4. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

The libre does sound nice! I’ve heard that about the glue though…I think that and the fact that my cat is petrified of the vet (and I’m sure wouldn’t do well getting shaved) are really the only things keeping us from trying it actually. It’s too bad they don’t last longer, but would nice to have that peace of mind overnight for sure. George was very difficult to test are first (which is why I have almost no numbers for the first month), then my husband and I were able to do it together, and then I finallllly was able to get it down by myself…it was definitely a process for us though until he learned that if he gets a test he gets tuna haha.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

280 is safe to shoot. I'd stick with 2. Forget the sliding scale for now.