New to here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shangmao27, Mar 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shangmao27

Shangmao27 New Member

Hi, my name is Becky & our cat Jules is a short haired American tuxedo cat. He was diagnosed about 3.5 years ago and I’ve been struggling to get his diet right since then. We live in Northern Kentucky. Jules just turned 5. He weighs 22 lbs and I’m concerned for him. Thank you for letting me in!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Becky, sorry you did not get a response yet
    We need some more information about Jules in order to help you out
    I will give you the link so you can add your signature, it's at the end of everyone's post in gray. You can look at mine or any other members, so we don't have to keep asking you the same questions

We also have a spreadsheet we all use to enter our cats BG to see how the insulin is working.
    I can give you the link with the instructions and how to use it..
    If you have trouble setting it up just ask, we have 2 members who will do it for you.

Shangmao27 likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What are you currently feedlng Jules? As Diane noted, diabetic cats do best on a low carbohydrate canned food diet. If you're hoping to help Jules lose weight, the process is not unlike with humans. You need to feed him fewer calories. However, you want to do this gradually. The website that Diane recommended that contains the food chart, also has a section on feline obesity. You may find the information helpful. The site is authored by a vet with extensive experience in feline nutrition.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  6. Diane Tyler's Mom

:cat::cat:

7. Shangmao27

Shangmao27 New Member

Sorry, I’ve been super busy at work and really haven’t had time to get back to this. I have lots of questions, so I plan on taking time tomorrow to get all this done. Thanks for all your links’s& assistance. Right now we are feeding Jules 1/2 cup of diabetic dry food in the morning. 1/2 can of friskies 12 hours later. My problem is that when he wants something to eat, he will claw up our door frames (when we’re sleeping). How do I stop this?

8. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

If he's not regulated he needs more food. Are you home testing? In his PM cycle too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.