New to group: Diana in Metro-DC area has beloved 14-yr-old newly diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GaneshMom, Mar 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaneshMom

GaneshMom New Member

My beloved 14 year old cat, Ganesh, was just diagnosed with diabetes and I'm suffering sticker shock. While I thought insulin costs were finally capped at $35/vial, insulin for companion animals runs between $349 and $150/month, with additional syringes, glucose monitoring kits and/or sensors (my vet prescribed the Freestyle Libre device for continuous monitoring that has to be re-ordered every 2 weeks.)

I am eager to know if the $35 cap on human insulin will trickle down to insulin for companion animals. Also, do most members use human insulin or insulin "formulated" for cats? Experience with the Freestyle Libre device?

So happy to have found this site with such comprehensive resources.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Maybe but we will have to wait, likely for a while
    I use human insulin. Vetsulin is not really suitable for cats. I have not had good experience with Prozinc that I have tried on three different cats. I use Levemir and glargine insulins. Generic glargine (Lantus is one brand name) is reasonably priced using a GoodRx coupon.
    I use Libres sensors occasionally to find out what is happening, not for the exact value the sensor give. I have found significant differences between Libre values and values from earsticks using a human meter. I had one on my Merle a few weeks ago. Very convenient. Using a GoodRx coupon they are reasonably priced and you can attach them yourselves. FB has an excellent FB group for using the sensors on dogs and cats.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/libreforpets
    If you need any help let me know I am by Reagan airport.

GaneshMom likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I don't know what insulin you are using , but if its lantus for the future

lantus is an excellent insulin, but expensive in the US that's why most members get the generic glargine
    Here is some info
    Check this out
    https://www.goodrx.com/insulin-glargine?dosage=five-3ml-prefilled-pens-of-100-units-ml&form=carton&label_override=insulin glargine&quantity=1
    The 5 pens will last about a year, we use the pens just like a vial, you would just insert the syringe it the gray rubber stopper on the pen and draw out your insulin
    Its generic lantus

Or this one also

I see some members will call CVS, Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreen's, to get the price for 5 pens
    Posted by another member
    One members posted this
    . I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you.

We don't use the pen because you can only adjust the dose by full units, we adjust the dose by 0.25 units at a time. Are the U-100 syringes you already have do they have half unit markings

Just take the cap off the pen and use a U100 syringes and pull the insulin out of the pen!
    [​IMG]

If you happen to get the generic lantus you will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    You can get the syringes with half unit markings at a Walmart. Their ReliOn Brand syringes of 0.3 cc (30 unit) capacity come with half unit markings. Cost $12.58 for a box of 100
    This is what the packaging looks like: either box
    They won't say it half unit on the box but the are . open then and look before you leave the store, can't be ordered on line , need to go into the store
    :
    [​IMG]

Or these
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order!

You will need a script , tell them what you want and they will contact your vet to fax a script over, give your vet a heads up, ask for refills
    We use the half unit markings because we adjust doses by 0.25 units

@GaneshMom

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    GaneshMom likes this.
  4. GaneshMom

GaneshMom New Member

Thank you so much for your reply; I've requested membership in the Libre group and will read the guides tomorrow. Thanks for offering to be a resource.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

I'm not sure what Libre group you're referring to but it's not part of this message board. This is a discussion of the Libre that is in our Think Tank forum. The Libre or other continuous glucose monitors (CGM) definitely have their pros and cons. One consideration -- if you are concerned about costs, it is likely less expensive to use a human glucometer to test your cat. The Libre sensors last a maximum of 2 weeks and then need to be replaced. The approximate cost is roughly $75/month. The cost for strips for a meter such as the Walmart Relion glucometer run about $18 for 100 strips. In addition, with the Libre, some cats are very adept at removing the sensor and some members have noted that they have had problems in that the sensor sometimes stops working in less than 2 weeks and if you happen to mention that the sensor is on your cat, the manufacturer will not replace the device. You do not need your vet to write a prescription for a glucometer. You can pick one up at any pharmacy. The Walmart Relion meter is the least expensive system to use.

The issue with the $35 cap on insulin is that it's not for all insulin. The overall price reduction was for insulin purchased through a Medicare prescription plan or more recently, insulin manufactured by Eli Lilly which would only include Humalog (lispro). Other pharmaceutical companies may follow Lilly's lead but it's not happened yet. Humalog is not an insulin that's recommended for cats. Currently, the American Animal Hospital Assn recommends either Lantus (glargine) which is a human insulin or Prozinc which is an animal insulin. Lantus is pricey in the US if you are buying the name brand. We can direct you to resources in Canada (i.e., Mark's Marine Pharmacy) where the price is much more reasonable. In addition, the generic/biosimilar is now available at a considerably reduced price. You may need to call around in your area to see which pharmacies stock the generic.

GaneshMom likes this.
  6. GaneshMom

GaneshMom New Member

Thank you so much, Sienne and Gabby. Understand Big Pharma will continue profiting off animal insulin as it's considered a "luxury market". But I found this script for $35 lantus insulin at a 100Unit/mL dosage. Is that a human, and not a cat dosage? My Prozinc is 40Units/mL. Maybe Lantus needs more. Anyway, here's a link to the Lantus Savings Card: https://www.lantus.com/sign-up-for-savings

7. GaneshMom

GaneshMom New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.