New to forum and Feline Diabetes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FlashleyCat, Mar 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashleyCat

FlashleyCat New Member

Hello! My cat was just diagnosed with diabetes about two weeks ago. The glucose content in her urine was at least a thousand, which I know now is very bad.

I just wanted to say hi and that I hope to learn a lot on this forum!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

We have a wonderful community of caregivers and their cats here who are very willing to help you get acclimated to caring for your kitty. There are a few basics that may be helpful.

Food: We strongly encourage you to get your cat on a low carbohydrate, canned food diet. Almost all dry foods, even the diabetic dry food, is high in carbs. We consider low carb as under 10% although most people here feed their cats food that is in the 5% range. This is a link to a website on feline nutrition and there is a chart on the page that lists most of the canned foods available in the US and information about their carb content.

Home testing: The best way for you to keep your cat safe and to keep track of your progress is to learn how to test your cat's blood glucose (BG). Your vet may have suggested that you bring your cat to their office and they can run a curve. While that information may be helpful, most cats experience a spike in their BG levels at the vet's office. You will have more accurate information about your cat's blood glucose if you test at home. It's also a way to make sure your cat is in good numbers. We have lots of information on home testing.

We also want to get to know you and your cat. Names would be helpful! It would also be helpful to know which insulin you're using as we have lots of information available about each insulin.

If you want to follow along with what it is we do, this post on helping us to help you is a great first step. It provides information on how to set up your signature and how to set up a spreadsheet. If you need help, we can lend a hand with that, as well.

Please let us know if you have questions.

3. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! that is a very cute picture of your cat! tell us more -- how old is she? what is the medical history?

this group is amazing and they are very numbers driven which I love. as mentioned above please get a spreadsheet set up, and start testing the blood glucose at home so that you can start gathering data and understanding how she is reacting to the insulin shots.

please also get your signature setup and include information like what type of insulin is being administered and how often, as well as what kind of food you are feeding and how often. when I first joined my vet had told me to feed only twice a day period. this is very common but is outdated thinking, these days we now know that diabetic felines do way way better on multiple small meals a day then just one meal every 12 hours.

again, welcome to the group and I wish you the best in your diabetes Journey with your kitty. :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.