New, overwhelmed, confused

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Red, Jul 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Hi!

First time posting…

So my vet told me tonight that my cat has diabetes. He told me insulin shots were needed 2x a day and that I could pick between
    Glargine ($300+ per bottle) or Vetsulin ($40 per bottle). Even though money is tight, I decided to go with the expensive one because he said that one had a chance or remission. He had no idea what percentage or actual chance that was so I hope I made the right decision. He was not helpful.

Anyway, he sent the prescription to the pharmacy, told me to inject anywhere (ideally back of neck but it didn’t really matter where) and to bring my cat back in 2 weeks to get rechecked. That’s it.

But me being me, I started searching. There is so much info and I don’t even know where to begin or what advice to follow. My vet said nothing about diet, glucose monitoring, or anything. Only to inject twice a day. Like it’s simple and nothing.

I’m heartbroken. Plus, I’m terrified of needles. I will do it for my cat but I don’t want him to stop liking me or wanting to be by me anymore because I keep hurting him. I’m so upset and can’t stop crying. I don’t know how I’m going to do this or if I even can.

My vet obviously doesn’t know or care enough to give me the information I need.

Is there an alternative to injections?

The fact that my vet left so much information out (and when I called back told me not to worry about it). I’m wondering if I should even trust his diagnosis. I asked for the test results (not that I’m going to understand them).

I need advice, how to do this, tips, where to start, literally anything because I’m just feeling so lost and scared…

I don’t even know how to use the needle. Apparently, I can stick it anywhere. I don’t believe that. But there’s also so much conflicting info online. Please help!

roxyboxy likes this.
  2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren. Welcome to Feline Diabetes Message Board. I'm so glad that you found your way here where you will find support and answers to all of your questions. I remember how it felt to be overwhelmed and scared and worried that I wouldn't be able to do it - to test, give shots, and take care of my newly diagnosed sugar baby. We all understand how it feels. But relax and just breathe and trust that you can do it, and that it's not nearly as hard as it seems. It's a steep learning curve, for sure, but you'll be surprised how fast it all becomes second nature.

Your vet was wise for steering you away from Vetsulin. It's a harsh, fast acting and not long lasting insulin. He wasn't correct in stating that you can shoot anywhere. Although there are many safe places to inject insulin, not every place is OK. But we can talk more about that later. First things first. Diet plays an enormous role in controlling blood glucose, and many members here have put their cats into remission simply by removing dry food and high carb canned and replacing it with low carb, canned food choices. A lot of people here give Fancy Feast pates (not in gravy, make sure it's pate) or Friskies classic pate. Both are low carb and affordable choices and cats seem to love them, especially Fancy Feast. Here is a food chart with many more options - https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

While you're waiting for your insulin to show up, this is a good time to switch foods and practice testing your kitty's BG levels. It's OK to use a glucometer made for humans and not pet specific, as the latter are very costly to use and not needed to do the trick. If you live in the US, Walmart carries an inexpensive glucometer and glucose strips that many use here (including myself). It's ReliOn Prime at about $9.00. The stripes are $18 for 2 pks of 50. You'll also need lancets to test his ear. Use lancet #s 28 or 30 in the beginning. A lancet device isn't needed, as you can use your hand to poke where you want with more precision than a device. Also grab some cotton rounds to hold behind the spot where you poke, which you will also use to fold over and hold for a few seconds to stop the bleeding. I know this sounds awful, but it's not really horrifying at all. I never would have believed that 2 of my cats (I have 2 sugar babies) would allow me to test as often as I do, and not resist. In fact, both of them honestly appear to love the attention and treats that come along with it. Depending on the cat, it can be challenging at first. But with some practice and support from all of us, it becomes so much easier in a short period of time.

Also, it would be good to set up a spread sheet and signature, as this allows others to be able to give dosing advice and know, at a glance, some vital info about your kitty. A signature is the light gray info that I have directly under my post that gives info about my cat such as name, age, date of diagnosis, type of insulin and info about diet. Also include if your kitty has been diagnosed with any other disorder or has any other health issues. Important is to include the link to your kitty's spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is where you will keep record of your cat's BG tests. You can click on either one of my spread sheets to get an idea of what it will look like. You can set up your signature by clicking onto your name on the top right hand side, and choose"signature" from the drop down box. You'll need to abbreviate, as the signature allows only so many characters. For the spreadsheet, go to this link to learn how to set it up: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/ And this will show you how to use it: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-use-the-spreadsheet.241653/

That's enough for now. Once you get the glucometer and strips, we can walk you through how to test your cats BG, how much insulin to start with and where to inject. If you have any problems with the spreadsheet or signature, ask for help. It can be a bit overwhelming sometimes.

I promise that all of this will get easier.
    ~Carolyn

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    roxyboxy and Lauren & Red like this.
  3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Lauren & Red likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB - the best place you never thought you'd be!

If it's any consolation, I don't think there's a single caregiver here that wasn't completely overwhelmed by finding out that their cat developed diabetes -- and that includes several vets and vet techs. So, you're in not only good company but with people who understand how overwhelming the first few weeks can be. I promise -- it gets easier and much of this will become routine for both you and your kitty.

There are oral diabetes medications. The problem with them is that they have a negative impact on the beta cells in the pancreas (the ones that produce insulin) and those medications will prevent your cat from ever reaching remission. Since it sounds like your vet wasn't terribly forthcoming with information, cats can go into remission. You'll see the abbreviation, "OTJ" here -- it means "off the juice" and indicates that a cat is in remission or on a trial to see if the kitty can manage without insulin.

If you've not already purchased your insulin, you have a couple of options. Glargine (Lantus) is recently available in generic form. The biosimilars are Basaglar and Semglee. They will be considerably less expensive than Lantus. Alternatively, many of the members here purchase their Lantus from Canada, specifically from Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Vancouver. A pack of 5 Lantus pens (which is what you want; you don't want to get a vial) runs about $500 in the US. It's about 1/3 of the price from Mark;s. Basaglar is around $250 and Semblee is around $160 for internet based prices.

You also will need syringes. You do not want to use the pen tips as your needle. The pens only dispense in 1.0u increments. You will want to be able to make dose changes in 0.25u amounts. This link is from the Lantus board and will give you information on both caring for Lantus and on syringes. I'm hoping that. your vet gave you a prescription for syringes. Most states require a prescription. Walmart's Relion brand syringe does come in half unit increments so if you're heading there for a meter, you can get syringes.

FWIW, we've had lots of people who are needle phobic who have had to manage their cat's diabetes. You can do this! Overcoming a phobia means facing the fear and realizing that the things you're afraid of really don't happen, You won't hurt your cat. Frankly, your cat will begin to understand that what you're doing is helping him to feel better. Well, that and treats really do help!

Carolyn gave you excellent information about food. Unless I missed it, the one thing she didn't mention is that we consider low carbohydrate to be less than 10%. There are lots of choices on the food chart she provided.

This is a link to a post that focuses on how you can help us to help you. The basics of setting up your signature (so we don't perpetually plague you with the same questions) and spreadsheet along with some other useful information are included.

Please let. us know how we can help.

5. Cara & Sabrina

Cara & Sabrina Member

Hello. I am new to this too, and it's hard to know what to do, and to determine what's doable for one's personal situation. Research revealed that ideally I'd be making many changes, buying new and expensive foods, treats, insulin, and other supplies, and be constantly closely monitoring my diabetic cat's food, water, litter box, blood glucose levels, ketones, and behavior. And taking her to to vet often for evaluation. However, I'm not in a position where I can afford the cost or the time to do all of those things to the ideal level. I would assume that many of us feel that same way, and are also fighting against the guilt and worry. I've had to give myself permission to not be perfect and to find a middle ground that works for me, while also providing adequate care for both my cats. No, it's not the best care possible, and yes, I feel guilt about that. There are some amazing, truly dedicated and invested cat parents on this forum. They have learned so much and are now sharing their experience, knowledge, and compassion with all of us, and we are lucky that they keep this forum going to support others! Realistically, and for many different reasons, not everyone who has a cat can reach that same level. I'm personally striving to provide above average care, and find comfort in that. I hope you do too.

What I actually came on here to say is that I found that giving the insulin shots wasn't tough for me or my cat. The 29 or 31 gauge needles are very thin and she doesn't even flinch. Hopefully you will have an easy time with it. Pricking her ears to test her blood sugar is much more of an issue for us. She tolerates it, but she flinches and doesn't want to be there. But giving the shots has been no problem at all!

6. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I appreciate the reply. Thank you! But if I’m being honest, a lot of what you said went completely over my head. And that chart for food was confusing. I feel like a moron.

I will set up a signature but i don’t know most of that stuff yet. So it will have to be a work in progress.

From your explanation.. I think you said, I can give my cat, for example, Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets classic plate. Correct? When you say no gravy, you mean not the gravy lovers? What about the sauce that’s in classic pates? And he has to eat this before I give the insulin shot? How much does he have to eat? He’s never been one to eat the entire bowl. He instead eats a little bit many times throughout the day. Is that a problem?

My vet never mentioned strips or lancet (I don’t even know what that word means). ugh! Just as I’m freaking out about shots, I also have to prick him constantly? Please tell me there’s an alternative??

My vet said as long as I give the insulin after he eats, it’s fine. Is that not true? This news keeps getting worse and worse :(

Would it be a mistake to try changing the diet alone first? Or is it too risky to wait and see if that works? I’m guilty of feeding both dry food and food with lots of gravy. I wish I would’ve known not to…

Did your cat begin to dislike/fear you when you started doing all of this? I don’t want to lose my friend and cuddle buddy. Or have his life in constant pain from needles and being afraid of me all the time. He doesn’t eat treats so I can’t really use that to help me. Any advice?

The insulin is actually ready for me to pick up at my local pharmacy (it’s where I get my prescriptions) but I’m avoiding going there to get it. Not because of the price (even though it’s money I don’t have). But because I don’t feel like I know what I’m doing yet. And from what it sounds like you are all telling me, I shouldn’t give shots without testing? I really don’t want to be doing ear pricks. He has ear issues already. Poor thing. Why didn’t my vet say this?

So basically… my main question is— can I try diet alone first or is that a mistake? Can I start injecting without testing? That’s what my vet told me to do. Where’s the best place to inject so he feels it the least?

Sorry for all of the questions. I’m beyond grateful for everyone’s help

7. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I didn’t know I had options or know what the best insulin is for my cat. All I was told is I could get the one the vet sells (very affordable) or I could go with the really expensive human version and he would send the prescription to my pharmacy. He told me most people go with the cheap one. I’m pretty broke right now so even though I was tempted… I opted for the one I can’t afford because it has a chance of remission. The vet told me the bottle would likely be between $300-$400. No idea if that’s the price I should be paying or not. I wasn’t given other options.
    I haven’t picked it up yet. Do you think there’s a better way to go? Online? My vet would have to approve a prescription request or something? How does that work? Please clarify.
    Thank you!

8. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Where/how do you give the shot? How often do you do the ear pricks? My cat is always by me when I’m home. He even shares my pillow at night. But he can also hold a grudge (like won’t come by me for a couple days after I go ok vacation). I’m terrified of losing him by hurting him all the time.
    How can a cat who’s constantly being pricked until blood comes out of the ear not be in constant pain? Or at least discomfort? Do you know if there’s a way around the prick/blood test?

9. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I went to set up my signature by following yours but don’t understand what any of the abbreviations mean. Other than OTJ that you already told me.

10. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I’m even more confused after following that link on “help us help you”. Why would I need honey? What’s a hypo? Why would I want high carb and medium carb food? I thought I wanted low to no carbs… no? What’s karo?
    I must be really dumb because I can’t seem to figure out the carbs on some of the foods I have. It literally doesn’t says carbs anywhere…. I see crude protein, crude fat, crude fiber, moisturize, minerals, vitamins and kcal but not carbs. What am I missing?
    what am I supposed to be feeding? Can it be any flavor classic pate for fancy feast? I happen to have one can here. But again I don’t see carbs

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Don't follow my signature. I've been here forever and I've got more info than is currently allowed. These are the instructions:
    Regarding insulin: If you call your pharmacy, they should be able to give you prices on Lantus or either of the biosimilars (Basaglar or Semglee). If they give you a hard time, tell them you don't want the prescription because you found a better price. (They may price match.) They may not stock both of the biosimilars. You may also want to call around. Some pharmacies will sell a single pen if that is more affordable for you. Also check with Mark's Marine Pharmacy on their prices. This is the link with Mark's prices on Lantus (it's in US dollars). I'm not sure how long it takes for the shipping but they can tell you. (It may be worth seeing if you can find a place that will sell one pen -- and don't forget about Sam's Club or Costco. You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. You will need to send Mark's a copy of the prescription or you can pick up a prescription from the vet -- just tell him you found a better price elsewhere.

The American Animal Hospital Assn has guidelines for the treatment of diabetes. Lantus and Prozinc are the two types of insulins that are recommended. Vetsulin is NOT recommended.

I gave injections in my cat's scruff. You pull up the skin and inject into the space below the skin and above the muscle. The AAHA has information on injections in this link.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

You are correct -- you want to be feeding your cat a low carb diet. However, cats are notoriously unpredictable and they like to keep us on our toes. They will surprise you!! A "hypo" is shorthand for hypoglycemia -- it's when a cat's blood glucose (BG) numbers drop into a low range. Using honey or Karo (corn) syrup, maple syrup, ice cream, etc. is a way to bring the low numbers up quickly. You can also use a cat food that's high in carbohydrates (e.g., a "gravy" based food). We all keep supplies in case of an emergency or if we need to steer numbers into a higher range for safety reasons.

Again, you are correct and you're not dumb. Pet food manufacturers are a pain in the neck. They typically do not put carbohydrate information on the cans. A handful of companies either have the info on the can or on their website but as a rule, they don't. Instead, you need to use a cat food carbohydrate calculator (there are several on the web) to check the carb values or use Dr. Lisa's food chart as she's done the work for you. You can use any flavor of Fancy Feast your cat likes, or any other food for that matter, as long as the carb count is under 10%. Most people here generally use foods that are in the 5% range.

We tend to use a fair amount of slang. I know I do it and I use it unconsciously. I've been here for quite some time and the terminology is second nature. Please ask if something doesn't make sense or is confusing. There's actually a slang dictionary for the site but that can probably wait.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  13. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Don't worry about the chart for now, unless he doesn't like the Fancy Feast. And yes, Turkey and Giblets is a good example of classic pate. Nothing for gravy lovers, only the basic pates (beef, chicken, salmon, etc.)
    Yes. He eats before you give him the shot, as long as he eats about the same amount that is normal for him. And it's fine to let him graze as he wants, as long as it's not high carb.
    The glucometer is called ReliOn Prime. You place a test strip into the glucometer each time that you test. The lancet is a small plastic piece that has a small, sharp point at the end that is used to draw blood. Once you buy them and can see what they look like, it will make make more sense to you than it does now. But all of us use them to test our cats' blood glucose levels before they eat.
    Jack strongly disliked it at first, but I followed the advice given here and remained calm and patient. The energy that you bring to the testing will largely determine how your cat responds to what you're doing. It is not a big, scary, blood dripping mess. It's a tiny pin prick with a drop of blood, just like when humans test their own BG levels. Remember that this is something that you'll do to keep him safe and you'll do because you love him. It's only intimidating because you're envisioning it to be much more terrible than it is. In the beginning, you'll fumble just like we all did, but you'll gain confidence and get much better as time goes on. I have one cat who is extremely food motivated. However, Marley is not and it's only because he loves the attention, the warmth of the bottle that I use on his ear first, and the love and sweet talk that he gets throughout the process. Caring for my cats, in this way, has only deepened the bond between us.
    I think it would be good if you worked on only his diet and practicing BG tests before you give insulin. You can't give insulin before you can get a BG reading because if the BG is low and you give him a shot, it could be very harmful. And while his diet is changing to low carb, his BG numbers will also change and you want to be sure it's OK to give him insulin.
    It would be helpful if you knew what the BG reading was at the vets. That would at least give us an idea of what's going on with him. Maybe you could call and find out how he determined it to be diabetes?
    Please try and relax a little. All of us know how you feel and we've all been there. Trust me, it isn't as bad as you're imagining. Relax, drink a cup of tea or whatever helps you to unwind. This will work out and your cat will not hate you. And remember that he'll sense and pick up on the energy that you bring. For now, take step one and pick up the low carb food, the glucometer, strips, lancets and cotton rounds. Then drink another cup of tea, or whatever helps you to feel more centered. Then come back to this post and read about how to test your cat. Later, I'll post a link to a thread that will give you step by step instructions. Then you can take it from there.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Lauren & Red likes this.
  14. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

15. Cara & Sabrina

Cara & Sabrina Member

That's so sweet that you 2 are so close! I've seen people on here say that their cat seemed to understand that this was for their benefit and helping them to feel better, and I could see that being the case for you. Fingers crossed! Take some deep breaths, love on your friend, and you can work through this.

The ear pricks are to test the blood glucose (BG) level. It is similar to how diabetic people prick their finger to test. It's a quick poke but doesn't hurt afterwards. I can rub on her ears right now and she is fine with it. To be perfectly honest, many people with diabetic cats do not do blood glucose tests at home, and vets offer other options. However, the experience of all the people on this site is that this is the best way to monitor your cat and to work towards making sure that his/her blood sugar doesn't drop so low that they go into hypoglycemia. That can be life threatening, so testing is a better way to keep your cat safe. It gives you more knowledge and more control, but is not technically necessary. Just recommended by the people here. My vet suggested using the Freestyle Libre to monitor BG levels periodically. It's a device made for humans that attaches to the skin and can give readings for 5 to 14 days. It has pros and cons, like most things in life. Another option is to go into the vet now and then for blood draws.

I give the shot around the scruff of the neck. The informative "stickies" that are at the top of each forum section and the links that are on the main website (not the forum part) give lots of information, including suggested areas to give the insulin. I've also googled a lot.

16. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I’m brand new here. Sorry for the long message, but if you could please read through, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you in advance!

I just found out my cat has diabetes yesterday :(

Now, I’m trying to learn how all of this works and explore my options before beginning treatment. Feeling very overwhelmed.

The fact that I’m going to need to inject my poor baby with a needle twice a day is beyond upsetting. But now, on top of that, I’m being told I have to prick his ear and draw blood all the time. I learned this from reading and doing my own research. My vet didn’t mention it by the way. He just told me to inject 2 times a day, after my cat ate and that’s it. Like it’s no big deal. Told me to watch a video online for how to inject. Are you kidding me? So I’m considering getting a second opinion from someone else.

I’ve been non-stop searching online since I got the news, and came across a page that discusses using a Freestyle Libre device. According to the site
    “a human glucose monitoring system that can be adapted to dogs and cats easily. For pets, a spot is shaved, usually on the shoulder or flank, and a round glucose sensor is implanted such that the sensor monitors tissue glucose levels. The provided scanner can wirelessly communicate with the sensor. In this way, glucoses can be checked simply by scanning the pet and no blood collection is needed”.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Also, and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY!!! …

I need advice on what’s worse:

1. Leaving my cat untreated until I can get into another vet— someone who can show me how to inject, test and give me more information than the first vet did. I was literally given no info, help or guidance. Just a diagnosis and prescription. I have so many questions and the vet said he “doesn’t have much experience with cat diabetes” but I shouldn’t worry about anything other than giving 2 injects daily. After reading, that just seems like horrible advice. No? He made no mention of testing, diet, how to administer, etc.

OR

2. Begin injections when I’m not testing his levels and have no idea what I’m doing or what could go wrong. The vet told me to inject him “anywhere” after he eats twice a day. Like it was the most casual, un-serious thing ever.

I may not be able to see another vet until the end of this coming week or the following week. So I’m freaking out about what to do.

It seems like a lose-lose situation. I know how serious it is to leave diabetes untreated. It’s been untreated already for who knows how long. But I’m also clueless and don’t want to inject my cat when I have no idea what I’m doing or how any of this works.

Please help/advise!

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

One note about giving insulin and feeding -- the depot insulins (Lantus and Levemir) take a longer time for the insulin to start working - typically about 2 hours. (This is called "onset". Some of the shorter acting insulins can onset in 20 min so it's critical to have food in your cat's system. This isn't the case with Lantus.) Most of the Lantus users will give their cat their insulin when the cat is eating. Gabby was very food motivated so she'd have her head in her bowl and I'd give her a shot. The insulin needles are very thin. She didn't notice.

Many vets do not tell their clients about home testing. My vet didn't. Her rationale was that most people won't do it. She was delighted that I was home testing. When I moved to a new city, my vet was impressed with Gabby's spreadsheet took one look at the numbers and told me I knew what I was doing and to let her know if I had any questions.

With Lantus, the minimum amount of tests are four. You need to test before each shot (i.e,. your AM pre-shot or AMPS and your PM pre-shot or PMPS). You also need to get at least one additional test during both the AM and PM cycles. If you look at Gabby's spreadsheet you'll see that I was a testaholic. Gabby was a bit of a challenge and having lots of data helped me to manage her quirks.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  18. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you all so much for your help, time and advice! I’m still feeling a bit overwhelmed (and still unclear on a few things) but you did a great job of simplifying things and making me feel better. I appreciate it so much! I will come back and re-read this all again when my mind stops spinning.

Im worried about not starting the injections right away because I already don’t know how long his diabetes has been left untreated. I had no clue it was something so serious. He just started drinking a lot more and having sticky pee. I didn’t put it together as a warning sign and dismissed it for too long. I’ll never forgive myself for that. But I can’t change the past so I can only do better going forward.

And starting to inject him with insulin when I don’t know what I’m doing or having a way to test… sounds like an even worse idea than waiting.

I asked for the test results but still haven’t received them. I will have to bug the office for those again on Monday. I’m also planning on seeing a different vet. One that can show me how to inject and give me more info than the first vet did.

Again, I just worry that the longer I wait, the more I hurt my cat. Because it could be a week until I can see someone else. So it feels like a lose-lose situation and it’s currently occupying all of my thoughts.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your help! You guys didn’t have to take time out of your day to help me but you did anyway. I can’t express my gratitude enough!

19. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren and welcome to you and your kitty (name?)
    First is all….it is all very doable and you will be fine. It is normal to feel overwhelmed in the beginning as there is quite a bit to learn but you have come to the best possible place to find out. This is a great community with lots of knowledge and support.

Can you tell us what type of insulin and what dose you were prescribed please?
    And can you tell us a bit about your kitty…name, age weight, what you are feeding him?
    We can show you where to inject this insulin and how to test. you will soon find it is just a routine for you to follow.

Did the vet mention anything about ketones at diagnosis and do you know if he did a fructosamine test to diagnose the diabetes?
    I would not delay starting the insulin for too long.
    As you have the insulin prescription there is no need to find a new vet at the moment…we can help you with everything.
    You can start today by buying some low carbohydrate food from the list I will link below. Look for food with carbs 10% or less. If your kitty has been on dry food, I would start the swap over today slowly as you don’t want to cause a tummy upset. Do it over the period of 5 to 7 days.

I will write more but wanted to welcome you and let you know you are not alone and we will help you.
    If you could answer the questions I have asked, that would be very helpful.
    Link to food chart HERE
    Bron

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Just to add the Freestyle libre is a short term solution for some people. It is attached to the cats skin and reads the blood glucose levels (BG)
    It lasts up to 2 weeks but does fall off some cats earlier. It costs around $80 to $100 as far as I am aware so is not cheap.

Most of us use a human meter such as a ReliOn meter that can be bought at Walmart. There are other option at pharmacies.
    You kitty will get used to having his ears pricked very quickly and most cats are very compliant. My kitty Sheba would come running every time she heard me at the testing equipment as she knew that meant a small treat.
    If we can find out what country you live in we can recommend human meters.
    HERE is a link to home testing

21. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Thanks Diane.
    I see you have another thread here on main health that has been answered with lots of information Lauren.

23. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  24. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

If you're going to hold off on starting insulin, I'd strongly recommend that you get Ketostix. You can get them at any pharmacy. They are a test strip you dip into. your cat's urine stream, follow the directions, and then compare the color of the strip to the colors on the container. You're testing for ketones. Diabetic ketoacidosis can be a life threatening emergency. It can develop if a cat has an underlying infection or inflammation, isn't getting enough calories and isn't getting enough insulin. The test strips are a great form of prevention.

All of that said, don't panic. Most of us were in the same place when we started. We weren't alert to what we now know. Hindsight really doesn't help. You clearly care about your kitty. You didn't know what you didn't know. You're moving forward now and that's what counts.

If you're worried about the delay before seeing another vet, you could start home testing so you know if your cat's numbers are in diabetic range.

One other thought. If you are comfortable posting your general location (e.g., the city you live in), there may be a member in. your vicinity. The would be able to show you how to test and shoot.

25. Bron and Sheba (GA)

26. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I'll merge the two threads.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  27. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

So I finally was able to understand the food chart. I had no idea but the foods I’ve been feeding my cat are all very high in carbs. Oh no! Like 17-21+% and those were being fed 2-3 times a day on top of the dry food. He loved slurping up the gravy and extra food would dry up and get tossed out. So sometimes I would feed more. I’m a push over. He also likes kibble. Could that have caused the diabetes? Such a horrible diet? I can’t believe I was feeding him poison!!! My vet said nothing about this!

Problem is, I went to the store first thing this morning and got some of the recommended classic pate wet foods with very low carbs. I also took away the dry food. So far he won’t eat them. I’ve never seen him not eat his wet food and it’s making me sad. I caved and tried mixing in a tiny bit of gravy and still nothing.

I know when he gets hungry enough, he will eat. Even though I feel like a monster. But is it bad for a diabetic cat to not be eating? I will keep trying different flavors but what if he won’t eat it?

I also ordered testing strips that will be here by Tuesday. And I will be requesting his test results tomorrow. If I post them, will anyone be able to help me with that they mean? Will it show how diabetic / severe his case is? or provide any insight that someone here can help me understand?

Lastly, I’m going to call tomorrow and try to make a vet appointment ASAP with a different vet. Making sure to ask if they have experience with cat diabetes. I hope I’m not making the wrong decision by delaying treatment… but I just don’t know what I’m doing. If I can’t get in quickly, I will start with the help of the kind and wonderful people here.

Following the advice of the first doctor and just injecting my cat anywhere twice a day without doing anything else seems equally reckless. Do you agree? Or should I start insulin anyway?

I’m wondering (and I realize this is strictly wishful thinking) if the food alone could be the problem. Probably not that lucky. Huh?

So I ordered Ketostix and they are supposed to be ready to pick up tonight. How do these work? Will it give me a reading of the urine if it’s mixed with litter or do I need to change how I have the box set up? Do I test immediately after he goes? Lastly, what do I do if the test is positive?
    What treats do you feed a diabetic cat? My cat has never been a fan of treats (weird, I know). But it’s worth a try. He loves cheese. But I’m thinking that’s another no-no. Right?
    Thank you! I live in Lake Zurich, IL. It’s a northwest suburb of Chicago. My cat is male, approximately 10-12 years old (he was a rescue so I’m not sure). His name is Red (he already had a name when I rescued him). I decided to get the human insulin (I forget the name and I don’t know the dose because I haven’t picked it up yet).

I was feeding all of the wrong food. Everything with gravy and very high carbs. Oh no! I tried giving him a classic pate today and be refuses to eat. Making me sad.

I asked my vet for results on Friday and Saturday but never received them. I will bug them again first thing tomorrow morning and post as soon as I can. He didn’t make any mention of what he was testing for. The only thing he said was there was glucose in the blood (but my cat FREAKS out at the vet so that could be the cause). He also said there was glucose in his urine and that’s how they diagnose diabetes. Which makes sense because he’s been having sticky pee for awhile.

Will you be able to help me interpret the test results when I get them? The numbers will mean nothing to me.

Thank you so much for the info everyone! You are all wonderful!!!

EDIT: he just ate a little of the new food! Yay! He never eats a lot at once. He likes to go back to his bowl many times throughout the day. So although I wish he ate a little more, it’s normal for him. Phew! I feel better.

28. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

The food he was eating isn't poison. Some cats eat it forever and it doesn't give them diabetes. You're NOT a bad cat mommy, and none of this is your doing. Besides, as someone else said in one of your threads, when you know better, you do better. Right? Don't beat yourself up. It's obvious that you love your boy kitty and from now on, you'll feed him differently because he is a diabetic. As far as him not eating the food? It is important that a diabetic eats, so it's better for him to eat what you know he likes for now. I was lucky because all of my fur balls loved Fancy Feast Pates, but that's not everyone's experience. So, transition him slowly. Start by mixing a small amount of low carb in with his regular wet, and then just slowly increase how much you add. And as far as kibble - there are low carb choices but wet is preferable. For those kibble junkies, Dr Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken and Young Again are two dry foods that diabetic cats can eat. I believe there is another one, but I can't recall the name. Good for you, changing his diet!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  29. Diane Tyler's Mom

This is what you said Red would be starting on
    You paid 300 for the glargine?

30. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lauren
    Might be a good idea to set up your signature, it's at the end of everyone's post in gray

Click on your name upper right hand corner , a drop down will appear , tap in signature , fill out info
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    • Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Look at the end of everyone's post you will see it in light gray writing

31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Wysong Epigen 90

32. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad he ate a little, always add some water to it, make it sort of like a soupy texture , but not that much, when it drys out just add some more water to it

33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Like Catherine said, how were you supposed to know that not all cat food is created equal. I had Gabby on what I thought was a premium diet -- Science Diet kibble! I now have "discussions" with co-workers when they tell me what they are feeding their cats. And I agree with Catherine in that transitioning your kitty to low carb (LC) may help. The same vet who put together the food chart has information on transitioning your cat to a canned food diet. There's a lot of very good information on her website on feline nutrition.

Hold on to the high carb (HC) food. We. use the the HC to steer numbers if they are dropping low. Most kitties are junkies for the gravy -- it's where the carbs are so it's an easy option if you need to raise BG numbers.

As far as treats, cheese is fine. It's a protein. Any sort of protein is fine. Many people here use freeze dried chicken (or other freeze dried protein), or will cook chicken for their cat. One of our members used shrimp as a treat!! The only caveat about cheese is that many cats are lactose intolerant. You may be using treats as a frequent reward for testing. You might want to try out other options so you don't end. up with your kitty having a GI upset.

There are several people here who can help you decipher labs. The results from an in-office lab test, if it is a BG test, may be inflated from stress (i.e., stress hyperglycemia). Unless your vet has serious lab equipment, it's possible that he sent the blood out which is very common and may be why they didn't get back to you with results. What I would ask about is a fructosamine test. This will let you know whether BG has been elevated for several weeks vs just higher than desirable when the blood was drawn. (It's very much like a hemoglobin A1c that is used to assess blood glucose levels in humans.)

I know there have been members in the Chicagoland area. What I would suggest is starting a new thread with the subject line reading something like, "Need help learning testing/shooting - Lake Zurich, IL" Give a brief explanation -- you're new and your vet has not been terribly informative

Lauren & Red likes this.
  34. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Yes. I think. The vet gave me a choice between a cheap one and a very expensive one made for humans. However, I haven’t picked it up yet so I’m not positive. I believe he said glargine but I was hearing a lot of unfamiliar words. I just know I told him the expensive one if there’s a chance of remission. I can tell you for sure when I get it.

I felt so uneasy with this vet… so I wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing first by researching and talking to wonderful people like you. I plan on picking it up tomorrow since that’s when I should have the test strips.
    Does $300-$400 sound right? Or is there a better place to get the same quality medicine for less? I can’t afford it but I will charge 1 or 2 of my credit cards. Maybe I just won’t eat this week. I’m kidding (kind of). But I’ll do whatever it takes… even if that means I struggle for a bit to make up for the money. There’s no price limit to saving my cats life. But if there’s a cheaper way, I would love to know.

I’m not supposed to inject him before I know his levels. Right? My vet thinks I should. But it seemed like everyone on here was telling me not to. Or did I misunderstand? If you think I should be injecting the insulin now and waiting is a mistake or possibly life threatening … I will go get it now.

35. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I just don’t have any of this info yet. I should have the names and dosage and everything soon and will update my signature then. But I haven’t started anything yet. So I can’t answer those questions.

My vet sent me on my way with no real info or guidance. He literally told me to “YouTube search” to see how to do injections. And that’s it. I immediately started researching and came across this site where I learned there’s a lot more to it than just injecting insulin like my vet suggested. So now I’m blindly trying to figure this all out as quickly as I can. Most of it sounds like another language but I’m trying.

I was feeding gravy lovers by fancy feast occasionally but mostly blue basics limited ingredient wet cat food. My other cat has a sensitive stomach and this is the food my vet recommended. Surprisingly, my other cat, Red—(just diagnosed with diabetes) loves it. It was easier to let them both eat that food instead of having to constantly monitor who was eating what. The dry food is Purina cat chow gentle. It’s the only gentle one my other (non-diabetic) cat will eat. I’ve tried all the expensive prescription ones prior.

I had no idea how high the carbs were. So now I’m doing trial and error to find a low-carb food alternative. I don’t have that information yet either because he’s not liking what I’ve tried so far.

I also don’t know what I’m going to do about my other non-diabetic cat. Because these low carb foods will make him sick. He cannot eat these fancy feast or friskies pate foods. He will want to though and certainly try all day if it’s left out. He’s not a fan of his diet. Red, my diabetic cat enjoys the sensitive stomach food a lot more than the cat who actually needs it. No clue why. But that’s a whole other issue we don’t need to get into…
    But the sensitive foods are loaded with carbs I just found out from the chart you guys gave me.

I will likely have to remove food when I’m gone. But diabetic cats need to eat often? It’s a nightmare and I haven’t figured any of it out yet.

Sorry, that was the worlds longest explanation of why I don’t have a signature yet. I’m not intentionally ignoring the request to do so

36. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I’m not sure he ran those tests. I’m certainly hoping he did and will call to see what I can get first thing tomorrow morning. The vet wouldn’t even get a urine sample when we were there. Said they were too busy. I had to get it myself and bring it in.
    What a mess that was. It basically involved me using gravel meant for a fish tank and a syringe. And keeping the box near me at all times so the sample was fresh. Then I had to drive it over immediately after but the drive was 25 min. I felt like it was a poor method for testing. The urine looked discolored from the pebbles.
    Is that what I will have to do when I test the urine for ketotones (not sure if I have the word right). Use something instead of litter so it won’t absorb the urine?

37. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Sorry, I don’t know what that means…

38. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just the name of the other low carb dry food that Daddy Jack's Mommy was trying to remember , the post above

39. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lantus is the brand name for insulin glargine.
    @Chris & China (GA)

@Wendy&Neko

@Sue and Luci

Hi Chris is this correct , I'm trying to help Lauren out
    What I'm trying to ask is when she picks it up at the pharmacy , they already have the script she will be getting Lantus is this correct

Lauren said the vet said
    I could pick between
    Glargine ($300+ per bottle) or Vetsulin ($40 per bottle in her post above

40. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are probably going to get Lantus , can you call the pharmacy now and ask how much it is, is it Lantus , a vial or a pen ,
    Yes Lantus is expensive in the US, let me tell you first I know that certain pharmacy's have a coupon they can apply for you.
    Can you call them now if they are open and get this info
    Which pharmacy did you drop the script off to
    @Lauren Esenberg

41. Diane Tyler's Mom

Now most of us order Lantus from Marks Marine in Canada
    You will get 5 pens that will last you for about a year depending on how many units your cat needs

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    https://rxcanada4less.com/search.php

42. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes you should always test him first to see what his BG number is to see if it's safe enough to give him insulin.
    If you are getting Lantus you would test, feed , and can give him the insulin about 15 minutes later as long as you know he will eat a good amount of his food. Lantus doesn't start taking effect until about 2 hours after injecting .
    I know your head must be spinning right now but let's see what you pick up from the pharmacy and we all can help you when you get it.
    I am going to give you some links to read and some videos to watch
    My cat is in remission right now thanks to the members here
    You might as well pick it up tomorrow, do you have the syringes yet?
    Did you buy a meter yet
    Lancets?
    Cotton rounds

43. Diane Tyler's Mom

Do you have a Walmart by you
    Get the Relion Prime Meter it's 9 dollars it's a human meter vs a pet meter
    Just read how to set it up, it's easy
    Most of us use the human meter ,that's what the numbers are based on
    Get the Relion Prime test strips 17.88 for 100 strips, you will be testing a lot in the beginning
    Lancets 26 or 28 gauge it says it in the box get any brand that's what you will poje his ear with
    Cotton rounds to put behind his ear , poke then fold it over his ear to stop the bleeding, sounds worse than it is

44. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem about your signature yet, I understand
    So Red does not like the Fancy Feast Pate, you said he ate some of it earlier
    Take a look at the food chart again and look again, and stay under 10% carbs
    I would try to stay under 6%
    Always add water to the wet food

I know someone mentioned low carb dry food , Young Again Zero Mature, Dr Esleys Clean Protein Chicken Flavor, but these are very expensive, I know you are taking away his dry food so I wouldn't even bother getting them.
    About your other cat, I know he has to eat something different, you are just going to have to feed Red somewhere else, I don't know what else I can tell you

Plus you have to test Red because cutting out all the high carbs he has been eating and then starting him on low carb can drop his BG at least by 100 points
    So you need to test him, plus we don't know how many units the vet told you to start him on.
    When you find out, I would start a new thread or post and title it
    Help New Need To Know How Many Units To Start With
    Something like that
    Also when you do that link this thread to the new one so members can go back to the previous day if needed.

The previous post is all the way up top above the pic of that cat, copy it and then when you start your new post paste it where you would start to write

45. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

47. Kitty mom

Kitty mom Member

Lauren
    You have found the right place to be.
    The people here are life savers and will guide you through and get you to where you need to be.
    This is a very overwhelming time for you but you will get through this and look back and realize just how manageable it can be.
    breath and listen , they will get you through it.

48. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

So my cat still isn’t eating the new food and was crying by his bowl. Since I know diabetic cats need to eat, I gave him his usual high carb food and then immediately ran to the store.

I now have every flavor and every option available at my local stores (I went to a few). I kept referencing the food chart and only purchased ones with less than 6% carbs. A couple have 6%. Is that ok? So one of these will hopefully work.

I also went to every store and was able to find some testing stuff. Not sure if I these are ok but there were no other options. I bought:
    Ketostix reagent strips for urinalysis & ReliOn Prime blood glucose test strips
    Thanks for all the comments, info and help!!!

Ok, so I just went to the store and bought a ton of low carb food— I referenced the chart and got every possible flavor that had 1%-5% carbs. A

handful have 6%. Is that too high? Am I supposed to be looking at anything else? They are mostly friskies and fancy feast pates.

I also got the following:

1. ketostix reagent strips for urinalysis
    2. Lantus 100 unit/ml. Directions: give 2 units under skin at neck region every 12 hours. Discard after 28 days!!! For that much money!!??
    3. Sure comfort insulin syringes short needle
    4. Sunmark true metrix glucose meter
    5. Sunmark trueplus 33g sterile lancets
    6. Sunmark true metrix test strips
    7. Cotton balls

Conclusion: I am more than broke! Spent more than I have but I got it all anyway. I have no clue if I bought the right stuff, how to use any of this or what some of these things even are.

My vet made no mention of anything other than the syringes and lantus.

At this point, I don’t think I can afford to go to another vet for help so I’m hoping I can get it here.

… now what?!?

If I forgot to mention… I have a SEVERE fear of needles. I have been that way my whole life. I have panic attacks when I have to get shots and I can’t stand the sight of needles or blood. I’m terrified of even opening this to see what it looks like. I need something stronger than tea right now.

Side note: Kicking my verbally abusive ex out of the house recently was hard but the best thing I’ve done. He was never mean to the cats. But negativity can be sensed by animals. I’m glad he’s gone for this. The down side is, now I’m all alone and I don’t know how I’m going to get through this. One step at a time I guess.

I’m looking at the sweetest face in the world and I don’t know how I can possibly bring myself to hurt him. I know I have to but I’m literally sick just thinking about it. I don’t want him to hate me. Or fear me. I don’t want to cause him a second of pain. I wish I could take the illness from him and inflict all of this on myself instead. That would be nice… :(

I don’t even know where to start.

Ok… Officially panicking now!!! Trying to not have a full blown panic attack but that’s likely where this night is headed.

Please help!!!

49. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

They were out of stock of ReliOn meter. Only had the strips

50. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I will come back and read this soon. I’m just getting sick to my stomach thinking about it and looking at that picture. I wasn’t planning on doing anything until tomorrow but decided to buy everything tonight and possibly start if I could. I don’t think I can. I’m literally freaking out. Like a complete nut job.
    Did I buy the wrong size lancet? No clue what that is or what I even do with it. Only saw one option. But didn’t know there were different ones so I could’ve missed it.

I’m going to try to find someone willing to help me do this the first time. That’s likely not going to happen but I have to try. I’m going to work on that now… wish me luck

51. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

If you see my post above I went and bought everything. Not sure if I got the right stuff or how to use it. And I’m having a really hard time with this situation right now.

I’m sorry! I’m sure it’s the last thing you want to deal with— a complete nutcase who’s acting like a total baby. I know I am… anxiety is something I struggle with

52. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Testing for ketones: You stick the end of the strip that has the blotter-like matters into your cat's urine stream. You wait the amount of time indicated in the directions and then compare the color of the strip to the color on the bottle/box. You want ketones to be trace or lower. Post here if it's higher. Some people will use a big spoon or a small ladle to get a urine sample. A lot depend on how tolerant your cat is of your being there at litter box time.

I'm sorry, but. your vet may be an idiot. There's no way. you can get a sterile urine sample at home. None of. us can. The only way to get a sterile sample is by cystocentesis where the vet inserts a needle into your cat's bladder. The urine sample is then cultured to see if any bacteria grows and they do a sensitivity test to see what antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive to. (It's called a culture and sensitivity.) If the sample isn't sterile (for example, I'm guessing the container you used wasn't sterilized or there was dust from the gravel), it can be a source of bacteria that isn't from your cat's urine.

Lantus - it lasts for more than 28 days. I've used a pen for 3 months. Keep it refrigerated and in a place other than on the door where there's both more variation in temperature and the insulin is subject to getting rattled around from the door opening and closing. Do NOT roll or shake the Lantus. It's already in solution so there's no need to mix it.

The 33 gauge lancets are very thin. It takes a while for the capillary bed along the edge of the ear to develop and for the ear to bleed a bit more easily. You may want to get some 28 gauge lancets for now. (The lower the gauge the thicker the needle.) Hold on to the lancets you bought. Once your cats ears get used to being poked, you can use the thinner gauge lancets.

Syringes - I hope your were able to get syringes that are marked in half unit increments.

53. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I just saw your post above mine. There are very few people who arrive here and are comfortable with testing and dosing insulin. There are also a surprising number of people who are needle phobic.

Take a few deep breaths and calm yourself. You can do this! At the beginning, this is not an easy process. FWIW, Gabby was critically ill and in the ICU for several days when she was diagnosed. I speak fluent medicalese. I have no doubt the vet and the veterinary resident thought I was an MD or a nurse. I was such a basket case I forgot to ask them to show me how to give Gabby her injection. I learned how to test and shoot by watching YouTube videos. I hadn't even found FDMB at that point. I was a wreck.

If you can use a safety pin or sew on a button, you can do this!

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  54. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I really do think my vet is a moron. It’s not my usual vet—they went out of business during covid. This is a new place completely.

So even if the urine sample wasn’t sterile, it wouldn’t cause a false glucose reading. Would it? I could be treating a cat for diabetes when he doesn’t have it. I know that’s just wishful thinking.

I was considering doing an insulin dose without testing because I’m so worried that I’m waiting too long to give him insulin. And I’m not clear on the testing. Bad idea?

For insulin, is it supposed to be given every 12 hours and the testing just helps me keep track of how it’s affecting him? If the dose is correct, etc. Or how do I know when he needs it? I’m sorry! I don’t know why I’m having such a hard time grasping this.

The insulin directions say every 12 hours (no ifs/ands or buts). I’m just really confused on how I know when/how often I give the insulin if I’m supposed to ignore doctor’s instructions….

can you please dumb it down for me? like how my first day with all of this should go? Or how your typical day goes? PLEASE pretend you are talking to a small child…. because that’s my level of comprehension.

I’m sorry to be such a pain! I hope you know how much your help means and how grateful I am for everyone’s time!

55. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I just tested myself with the ketostix. To make sure I understood how to read the results. Apparently, I have ketones in my urine. So that can’t be good. LOL. One problem at a time. I’ll worry about me after I figure out the cat. Plus, everything wrong with me is likely due to the overwhelming stress and anxiety I’m feeling.

Now the scary part… testing myself with the glucose meter. I need to practice on myself and get it right before I attempt it on my cat.

but I’m scared….

56. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is one video ,I had always given Tyler his injection in his scruff, pull up until you fell like an indentation, you can actually feel it with your finger , that's where you want to shoot.
    DON'T Listen to what she says about over drawing how many units you have to give and then pushing it back into the vial or a pen. I'm just showing you this to show how she injects it

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Lauren & Red likes this.
  57. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is a good one, just ignore what she's talking about, I am just showing you how she makes the tent when giving the insulin

Lauren & Red likes this.
  58. Diane Tyler's Mom

Like Sienne said the pen will last you up to 3 months
    So you got the pen of Lantus right?
    What did you pay for it,
    Where did you buy it CVS Costco, Walgreen's Walmart etc some if these places have a coupon they will apply for you

I showed you the prices from Marks Marine Canada, next time order the 5 pens from there , they will last a year

I myself wouldn't use cotton balls, you want the cotton rounds ( you take make up with these )
    They are better to use , thicker than cotton balls

Everything else you got is ok
    Don't use the Relion test strips you bought in the meter that you bought
    Maybe later you can order the Reluon Prime on line from Walmart or go tell them to order them
    Always good to have a back up for 9 bucks

Lauren & Red likes this.
  59. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes insulin is given every 12 hours
    I assume you work, I don't know your hours
    Let's say you work 9 to 5
    I don't know how long it takes you to drive to work
    You can test him at 7:45 AM, feed , then insulin at 8 AM
    If you are close enough to come home for lunch test him
    Then at night you test him at 7:45 PM, feed , insulin at 8 PM
    So your shoot times would be 8AM ,and 8 PM

Then you would try and get some more tests in to see how the insulin is working for Red and how low it's dropping his BG and when.
    If you are at work then test him when you get home . After his night time shot do the same.

On weekends you can test him more during the day cycle
    Yes we have a spreadsheet we use to track our cats numbers
    I am going to ask one of our members to set one up for you, I know you are overwhelmed
    I will give you the link to read , it will tell you how the spreadsheet works
    I can go into more detail tomorrow, but read about it ok
    I will ask our very nice member Bhooma to set it up for you Hi Bhooma :cat:
    @Bandit's Mom
    She will be sending you a private message to get some info from you
    so look for it where it says inbox
    Bhooma won't be on during the day she lives in India so she's in at night

Lauren & Red and Bandit's Mom like this.
  60. Diane Tyler's Mom

I see your vet said to give 2 units
    I'm not sure about that, you said you will call the office and get the notes and what his BG number was
    Usually you would start with 0.5 units it 1 unit
    If I were you I would get the vets notes and before giving your cat insulin
    START a new post (thread) link this thread to the new one so members can go back to this one for info and ask How Many Units Should I Give
    Say you are a new member and start trying to get some tests done, write them down
    then when your spreadsheet is set up you can go and enter them on the spreadsheet.

The food I see you bought ,that's fine
    After some one gives you advice on how many units to give Red ,you can do your signature.
    Just jeep asking questions , that's what we are hear for
    Do you have a friend to come over when you test and give insulin since you are very nervous, maybe having some one with you will make it better

Lauren & Red likes this.
  61. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lauren & Red likes this.
  62. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If you have swapped over to a low carb wet diet and there are no ketones in the urine, I would start with 0.5 units (1/2 unit) insulin twice a day.
    First you test the blood glucose, then you feed a meal, then you give the insulin in that order.
    Also give your kitty a couple of snacks to eat during the first 6 hours after each insulin dose around 3 and 5 hours after the dose. And try and get a blood glucose test in then too.
    If the BG is under 200 when you test before the dose of insulin…. Stall, don’t feed and test again in 20 minutes and post and ask for help. In the beginning we suggest not giving insulin under 200 on the main forum until you have some data.

63. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks so much Bron ,her vet told her squat about anything
    @Bron and Sheba (GA)

64. Diane Tyler's Mom

Lauren are these the syringes you bought?
    We use syringes with half unit markings because we adjust units by 0.25 units at a time
    These are the ones in Walmart. You want 0.30 cc/ml (30 units) syringes with half unit markings. Not the 0.5 cc/ml or 1 cc/ml ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do you have syringes with half unit markings

[​IMG]

65. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is a photo of the pen and the cartridge. I would keep it in the fridge, it will last much longer.
    [​IMG]

Lauren & Red likes this.
  66. Diane Tyler's Mom

Part of that process is getting a feel for basic concepts:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose

Lauren & Red likes this.
  67. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Lauren Esenberg
    Lauren please make sure you read what Bron said in post #62. The numbers are on the right hand side of each persons posts
    Also just so we know that you have read what members have said to you can you please hit tap in the word like so we know you have read it, like is on the right hand side

Lauren & Red likes this.
  68. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

I'm sorry I don't have much advice to give since I'm in the same boat as you, I just wanted to give a shout-out and some well wishes to you and Red. Your posts really hit close to home for me - my cat was also just diagnosed and it has had me torn up inside. I share a lot of your anxieties and have so many of the same questions as you (which is understandly a lot). Don't mind if I lurk your thread in case any answers to some of my questions appear here. :)

I'm also still in the "super scared, overwhelmed, and confused" phase. We haven't even started treatment yet and, like you were, I'm worried about my vet having me wait...but also dreading having to start doing all these scary sounding things. Nevermind the financial aspect as well. I feel super unprepared and am trying to learn things ahead of time, but as you said, it's like I'm reading another language when I try to take in too much info at once. It's getting better though - a couple days ago I understood NOTHING, but a few things here and there are starting to make more sense. Baby steps, as much as possible. Take a deep breath and allow time to let your brain rest in between all the learning.

It sounds like you could do with finding some sort of a local support system, starting with a better vet, but also reach out to any nearby friends/family you have who may be able to help emotionally, or even come over to assist with the shots/testing. One of the best things I have going for me is that my girlfriend has experience with giving injections and has promised to help me, because she loves my cat as well. She's also been good for just getting my mind off everything for a little each day by watching Tv together or talking about other things.

I also suffer from severe needlephobia and at the moment can't imagine having to do this without any help. I'm so sorry you're in that situation. Please be careful with yourself too, I know us needlephobes are prone to fainting at even the sight of those things. You don't want to hurt yourself or your kitty, so if you feel dizzy at any point make sure to lay down (with your legs slightly elevated) asap.

Best of luck, I know how badly this sucks, and I hope that things start looking up for you and Red real soon. <3

Lauren & Red likes this.
  69. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Good morning!!

If a urine glucose reading is what your vet was aiming for, the sample should be fine. However, urine glucose is far less accurate than blood glucose. (I'm rushing to get ready for work -- if you remind me at some point I'll explain why.)

Re-read Bron's post - #62. I agree with the amount of insulins you should be giving. 2.0u is too much when starting out unless your cat is the size of a 4 mo old tiger cub. The only point I'd add is that you don't have to wait until Red finishes eating. I would inject Gabby when her head was in her bowl. It takes Lantus about 2 hours to kick in so you have time if your cat is a grazer and doesn't eat all in one sitting.

There's a huge amount of information in this thread. I completely understand how overwhelmed you must be. I'm going to see if I can get an experienced member to summarize for you since I'm needing to get out the door.

70. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome! You have been given a lot of information and must be overwhelmed. I get that. When I diagnosed Max by finding glucose in his urine I was at my vet’s office the next day. I had a friend and my sister who had diabetic cats and other than switching to fancy feast pates and giving lantus twice a day they went on about their lives. Max was very sensitive and in my first post here I wrote don’t shoot me for saying I will not be home testing. I was seeing my vet every few days for a mid cycle test then. I soon became a testaholic when my vet gave me the needle to prick his ear and Max was an angel.

If your cat doesn’t like the fancy feast pates try different flavors or a different manufacturer. Before diabetes Max only liked high carb foods with slices or pieces. He adjusted quickly. Before that he was a dry food junky but he blocked so I switched to canned food after a time on RX food for crystals.

If you are doing a food change and he will eat the low carb foods it’s fine to wait a week or two and might actually be best because the diet change might greatly change the amount of insulin needed. If he won’t eat the canned get a dry low carb food for now and start insulin. You dint want him dropping weight too quickly as that can lead to other illnesses in a cat. You will get all the help you need here. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

71. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Good morning Lauren and welcome. Sienne is right, there is a huge amount of information in this thread! :)

• When you get the test results, we can help you go through the information, but since you've noted symptoms of drinking excessive amounts of water and sticky pees, those are both typical of diabetes diagnosis.
    • This is perfectly fine, and actually as long as you focus on canned foods that are under 10%, you're good. Don't worry too much about the difference - it doesn't have to be 1-2%, some kitties actually do better on a higher low carb like a 6-9%.
    • I agree with Bron, start with 0.5u dose, especially now that you've transitioned to all wet food.
    • Most of us find it is better for our kitties to feed a meal at shot time, and then have a couple of little snacks during the earlier part of the cycle. When we used Lantus, I used to feed 1/4 can of FF every couple of hours up until 6 hours after insulin which is when the dose's effect would typically start to slow down and BG levels start to rise (although that can sometimes vary depending on the cat).
    • It is important to test your cat's BG levels, particularly before giving insulin, since you want to make sure it is safe to do so. Please believe me when I say you will get the hang of testing! My hand was shaking the first time I tried it with my cat, I actually found giving the insulin shot easier. The edge of the cat's ear actually has very little feeling/sensation, so you won't be hurting him. Some kitties are more startled by the popping sound the lancet device makes. I like to place the cotton ball on the underside of the ear, then fold the ear over a little, and test on the outer edge. Then I'd hold the cotton round on the edge where I poked for a few seconds afterward. I also use some reading glasses and I bought a small little head lamp to keep both my hands free, you'd be amazed what you can see with a little extra light. Sometimes the blood drop is so small, I think it was there, I just couldn't see it. You could try getting the blood test from his paw pad, but I never had much luck with that.
    • This part of Sienne's post explains about testing for ketones. Some of us find we can sneak up on the kitty and just stick the strip under while they are peeing, but the spoon or ladle trick works too.
    • Sienne also posted a good link on where to give injections here:
    These insulin needles really are very small and thin, most kitties don't even notice, especially when they are busy with their head down in their bowl eating. When you look at your needle, you'll notice there is a bevel edge, so you want that facing up when you inject, it goes in very smoothly that way.

I'm not familiar with the Sure Comfort brand - can you also confirm they are for U100 insulin, and that they have half unit markings - perhaps you can take a quick picture of the box?

Lastly, a couple of general comments. I have been doing this for 4 years now. My cat still loves me dearly, and if anything we have an even stronger bond because of the care and attention. He still sleeps in my bed, and curls up against my arm. Actually, if I don't have my arm available, he'll paw at me to get into his cuddle spot :cat:.

Cut yourself a little slack, there really is a steep learning curve, and no one expects you to understand everything in one day! It is only natural to have a little doubt, some anxiety, and lots questions, but we are here to help you.

72. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thanks so much for all of your reply’s and helpful information. I’m still going through it and trying to understand but wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your time and help!

I found this site because I got a bad feeling from the vet and didn’t trust what he was saying. I will have to look into the dosage but it does say 2 units on the bottle. I haven’t administered any insulin yet. He told me that’s the lowest amount and we can work our way up. He told me a lot of things that were incorrect apparently. A different vet I spoke with on the phone today gave me even worse information.

I need a new vet ASAP.

They didn’t have pens. Are those better/easier/less painful for the cat?

73. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

I got the wrong stuff :(
    They don’t have the correct ones in store so I have to order online. I hate that I keep delaying insulin but I can’t test the blood without the right supplies… sigh

74. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thanks so much for your kind words! I haven’t started any of it yet and currently trying to find a vet to show me in person. It’s the only way I’m going to feel comfortable. The videos make me sick (because of my needle issue). So I need something more hands on (basically forcing me to confront it). The problem is me. Everyone here has provided more than enough info, but I need to be shown in person. I probably sound nuts. Maybe I am…

Anyway, the new vet I found today I only spoke with on the phone. He had great reviews that specifically mentioned diabetes. However…

He told me that glucose blood testing wasn’t necessary. I only need to do that when I’m testing the “curve”. Whatever that means. Regardless, that was music to my ears. The insulin shots I can see myself being able to do. But stabbing a needle into the delicate sweet ear so hard it bleeds and then squeezing out blood multiple times a day is an unbearable thought. I can’t imagine ever being ok with that.

Ignorance is bliss. Because even though the vet is telling me it’s OK not to do the tests (and I want to just say, awesome, thank you!). My conscience has a very different and nagging opinion. So I’m back at square one.

Anyway, tomorrow I will be calling every vet nearby to find one that seems like they know what their doing and can get me in ASAP. I’ve completely changed the diet but I know that’s not enough.

I’m doing this one very slow (and painful) step at a time.

Why is the vet having you wait to start insulin? I’m sorry if you explained already. My brain is mush from all of the info lately.

Miss Mew likes this.
  75. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you for all of that helpful info! I’m still getting a little lost in the reading but you made it simple. I just have to keep going through it all until it makes sense. I really appreciate the time you spent summarizing things for me.

So you don’t think a cat can feel the ear pricks? That would make me feel a little better. I don’t like the noise either. I couldn’t even do it on myself. I’m a baby! (it’s the needle fear— that I’m trying sooo hard to overcome) Is there a way to do it without the spring trigger? I hate it.

I have the test results from the vet. Just trying to figure out how to enter it for everyone to see. Someone is already helping me figure that out. So I’ll hopefully have it up soon.
    Thanks again

76. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

You don't need to use the device at all, and then you won't have that spring trigger. Just hold the little plastic lancet in your free hand (the other hand will be holding Red's ear) and lightly poke the spot that you want to get blood from. Doing it this way allows you to get the spot that you're aiming for, and just gives you better control. Most of us, including myself, do it this way.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  77. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I definitely would not start at 2u of any insulin under your circumstances. I agree with Bron that it’s best to start at 0.5u. Starting slow with him at a lower dose is a better option.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  78. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Christie is correct. There are far fewer of the nerves that sense pain along the edge of a cat's ears. If you think about a cat that lives in the wild, they'd be miserable if every time they brushed past something, their ears hurt! Or, since ears are something kittens gnaw on, the littermates would also be miserable to say nothing of cat that get into a fight -- a nip on the ear would leave a cat vulnerable to an attack due to an "owwie".

I hated the lancing device, as well. I free handed. I felt like I had far better control.

Red's labs: If you look on Red's spreadsheet, there's a tab at the top marked "Labs". You can enter the information there. Just make sure that the reference values are the same as on the lab report. If not, change them on the spreadsheet.

You can test Red's blood as long as you have a meter, lancets, and test strips.

When you said "they" didn't have pens, who do you mean? Is the vet selling Lantus? If so, does what the vet sold you look like the image in this link? Vets should not be repackaging Lantus.

There is a general consensus that it would be far more prudent to start Red at a dose of 0.5u twice a day.

Since you're planning on finding a new vet, you may find this information on interviewing vets helpful. (And before you ask, yes -- we have information on just about everything feline!)

You had mentioned urine glucose testing. It's not a great alternative. First, when you test blood glucose it tells you what the level is at the moment. With urine glucose testing, the result you get is not reflective of what's going on right now. (Food has to be digested, metabolized, the waste products need to be collected, and enough urine needs to be collected in the bladder for the cat to have the urge to urinate. It take hours.) Even more importantly, the test strips do not give you really high or really low numbers. They are generally not recommended unless you don't have access to a glucometer.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  79. roxyboxy

roxyboxy Member

hi, i'm just here to give support since i still don't know very much, despite being three months into this. i was very scared and overwhelmed at first, but things start to get easier as you go along. your vet sounds pretty dismissive and i hope that this message board can help you fill in some of the blanks. good luck to you and your little Red!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  80. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

The pharmacy didn’t have pens. Just the individual syringes that I need to figure out how to use.

I’m taking the second half of the day off so I can start treating him today. I’m worried about postponing this any longer. I will start with adding his lab results. Then, force myself to watch these how to videos even though they make me sick to my stomach just thinking about them. The plan is to be ready to give insulin by 9:00 pm tonight.

I’m thinking the best time for me to dose is 9:00am and 9:00pm. Can you walk me through step by step what needs to happen based on that timeline?

I do work so testing and feeding prior to insulin won’t be a problem, but after that I won’t be home to feed at certain time marks. Plus, I don’t think I can get my cat to eat on command more than twice. He always goes back and forth throughout the day and eats a little when he wants. Is that a problem? He won’t eat treats. Sometimes he likes to each cheese. But we are talking about a very small amount. Maybe a tiny bit of milk but that’s hit or miss with him.

So the glucose test is just to keep track of his numbers, right? I’m not going to be adjusting his dose every time? I’m just trying to figure out how everything fits together.

Starting at 0.5 should be a low enough dose that I don’t have to worry about a hypo situation. Right? I understand testing before insulin to make sure it’s safe. But is it absolutely necessary afterwards? Obviously, it would be best to keep track. However, both Red and myself need to ease into this and so we need to begin with as little jabs and pokes as possible until we get comfortable with more.

I’m not asking for an expert level schedule or even an ideal one with testing. But what is absolutely necessary / bare minimum (only for the beginning). I cannot get over my fear of needles overnight. Every time I have to get blood or inject. It will be a major / stressful thing. Sometimes I get physically sick around needles so kindly keep that in mind for my starting/learning phase.

81. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I work. I worked full time throughout Gabby's life. I ended up shooting at 5:00 so it gave me a window of time before I left for work to keep an eye on her BG numbers. (It also helped that she had an early nadir.) If I had a late meeting, I'd schedule it for 5:30 so I could run home, test, feed, and shoot and then run back for my meeting and be home within a few hours. I'd encourage you to think about your test time if your concerned about testing and walking out the door. The other thing that was helpful for me was a timed feeder. Since I wasn't home during the day, it was a way to make sure there was food available if Gabby's numbers were dropping since cat's usually will scrounge for food if their BG is dropping.

The pre-shot test tells you if it's safe to give insulin. The other tests allow you to make sure than numbers are in a safe zone. You do not adjust the dose with every shot. Lantus differs from other insulin in that you need to hold the dose to allow the insulin depot to stabilize. If you read over the dosing methods sticky note, you'll see that depending on the method you're using, you hold the dose for at least 3 days with TR and a week with SLGS providing a dose reduction isn't indicated.

I would not be comfortable telling anyone that any dose of insulin is small enough that low numbers are impossible. Cats do not like to be predictable. I also don't want any member to be complacent. Testing is your best way to keep Red safe. The minimum number of tests is one each cycle in addition to your AMPS and PMPS tests. The more you get used to handling lancets and syringes and the more you test and shoot, the less the anxiety will be!

Lauren & Red likes this.
  82. Miss Mew

Miss Mew New Member

Sorry for the late response. The vet just didn't have any appointments open sooner to go over giving Leon (my cat) his shots, I guess. I'm on the cancellation list in case something sooner opens up.
    In the meantime, Leon at least seems to show some improvement on the new diet.

On one hand, I hate waiting that long and I feel nervous...but I would hope the vet wouldn't put it off if he didn't think it was safe to. He's the one who's seen Leon's test results and can interpret them. I've never had a problem with my vet but some of the things I keep reading make me lose trust. Like your post just now. =\ It's in my nature to wanna be like "they're the expert, I should just listen to them because I don't want to mess something up or put more on myself".

I'd also love it someone told me that the glucose tests aren't necessary, it all sounds like x10 more stress on top of having to already do the insulin. But after everything I've read, I would feel sceptical too. I mean, diabetic humans do regular testing, I think, so it just makes sense that cats should too.

I always say trust your gut if something feels off. I hope you can find a vet you're comfortable with soon!

Also as someone with a learning disability (Adhd), wanting hands-on experience or simple explanations to things is completely understandable so don't feel bad about it.

Lauren & Red likes this.
  83. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would get script for Semglee, which is a glargine insulin It was approved by the FDA a little more than a year ago ass a biosimilar Lantus (glargine) insulin. Price w/GoodRx coupon, is about the same as Lantus from Mark's Marine
    https://www.goodrx.com/semglee

84. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

We are very much alike indeed! I have ADD too. Not the hyper part but I can relate. Medicine helps but some days not well enough. Anyway, keep me posted on how things go.

I did my first test and shot last night. It was a pretty horrible experience (not going to lie) but I did it. I will link the new thread I started for that below.

85. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Thank you. I will look into that but since I already purchased the lantus, I’m going to be using it. So expensive. Yikes!

86. Lauren & Red

Lauren & Red Member

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know how things are going. I wish I could say great …but I’m struggling.

I did my first test and insulin shot last night. Here is the new thread: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/first-shot-test-at-2.250235/#post-2822798

I have to do a test and shot in an hour and 30 minutes. i’m starting to feel sick to my stomach again.

Overall, I’m scratched everywhere, extremely tired and very stressed. But I will continue to push through.

Luckily, my boss is allowing me to go back to working mostly from home again. So I’m grateful for that.

Thanks again everyone for all of your support and guidance!! Please continue to follow/reply on the new thread I linked above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.