Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TommyS, May 15, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyS

TommyS Member

Are there cheaper insulin that are as good as Lantis? I donnt know how I will afford it and my cat is getting worse by the day!

2. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

I get the generic version of Semglee which is simply called "Insulin Glargine". It's a biosimilar to Lantus. I paid $175 for a box of 5 pens at Walmart pharmacy, but GoodRX coupon says you can get it for around $90 if you have a Rite Aid pharmacy near you.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. TommyS

TommyS Member

Pens? I am new to this. Do I ask vet to write the prescription for Semglee or Lantis and then the pharmacy offers the Semglee? Not sure how that works. Thanks so much. I looked into goodrx and Semglee.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  4. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

Most insulins are supplied in both vials and pens. Take Insulin Glargine for example, you can see both options in this image:
    Generic-Semglee-Insulin-Glargine-yfgn-Injection-100-units-per-ml-3ml-Pen-and-10ml-vial.jpg
    Many members here use pens. The reason being is that the viability of insulin can decrease over time once a vial or pen is punctured for the first time. The pens contain 3ml while the vials contain 10ml, so members here use pens sort of like a mini vial so that less goes to waste. Not to worry though, with proper storage, many members use insulin to the last drop, far beyond the manufacturer's use by recommendations.

We draw insulin out of the pen into a syringe so that we can dose in smaller increments than the pen's mechanism allows. This video shows how to draw insulin out of a pen using a syringe:

5. Corey & Kitty

Corey & Kitty Member

You do not need to join GoodRx to use their coupons. Anyone can obtain a coupon on their website. Use this link and you should be able to set your location so you can compare prices between local pharmacies in your area: https://www.goodrx.com/insulin-glargine?dosage=five-3ml-prefilled-pens-of-100-units-ml&form=carton&label_override=insulin glargine&quantity=1

Keep in mind that some pharmacies have a pet restriction with GoodRx and will have a higher price if the prescription is for a pet. In those cases, GoodRx will pop up asking if the prescription is for a pet and will route you to a different coupon for pet prescriptions at that pharmacy. As far as I know, Rite Aid does not have this restriction and the $90 price is for both human and pet prescriptions.

It seems a little bit too good to be true, but I just noticed GoodRx is currently quoting a box of 5 pens of Insulin Glargine at Kroger Pharmacy for $22. This seems incredibly cheap but its worth looking into if you have a Kroger Pharmacy near you.

6. TommyS

TommyS Member

Thanks so much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.