Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Angel T Cappell, Oct 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel T Cappell

Angel T Cappell New Member

I'm Angel. My cat is Vader. He's one and newly diagnosed. Im having trouble with the prescription food. Tried hills science and he got sick. Ordered Purina DM and same thing. After few days he vomits and won't eat. In between he was eating tiki cat and was fine. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Angel and Vader and welcome.
    There is no need to feed any of the prescription foods. Most cats don’t like them and they are too high in carbs and costly as well..
    The tiki canned food is fine
    HERE is a link to suitable foods. Look for carbs 10% or less.

Can you tell us a bit about Vader. He is very young to have diabetes.
    How was he diagnosed?
    What type of insulin and the dose is he on?
    Are you feeding before the dose as well as snacks during the cycle.?
    Are you going to be hometesting the blood glucose levels? It is the best way to keep Vader safe.

HELP US HELP YOU has links to a lot of useful information as well as setting up a hypo kit which I would encourage you to do now.

please let us know if we can help you further.

3. Angel T Cappell

We and vet are worried about how young. He was so thin and started vomiting a few weeks ago. It took many vet trips to realize it was diabetes. Thought parasite at first. He gets 2 units of lantus twice a day. We have a home testing kit but are still learning how to do it right. Vet said he could eat as much as he wants for now so getting a reading on empty stomach is hard. It takes both me and my partner to do reading cuz he struggles and he gets up before me as I work nights. Thanks for reply

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Here is a link to home testing. Try offering treats every time you test and look at the other hints
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    I think it will be worth your while to persevere with the home testing as he is so young and you will have many years of giving him insulin and home testing is the one way you can keep him safe.
    You will both need time to get used to the new routine but in my experience almost all cats settle down and don’t mind being tested at all. My Sheba used to come running to me when she heard me at the testing kit as she knew she would get a treat.
    keep asking us questions and let us know how you are getting on.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Angel T Cappell

Thank you. We are definitely going to continue with blood test. I know we will both get used to it. I just get so worried when he won't eat. Last time with the hills food it was two days of him being sick and not eating before his appetite came back. This time we skipped last nights dose since he hadn't eaten since morning. This morning he was hungry but had to give him his old food till I could go to store for more tiki cat and he threw up again and won't eat again. We are about to try a reading as soon as my partner gets home. Thanks again for responding. This is very stressful

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you tried the canned low carb food? That is much better for him.
    Look for food 10%carbs or less HERE
    However you need to be aware that giving a low carb diet can drop the blood glucose up to 100 points. So don’t do any swap over until you are home testing to keep Vader safe.

It is really important he eats, and eats well, so if you are having trouble getting him to eat, offer him something you know he likes. The most important thing is he does eat.

7. Angel T Cappell

Thank you. He's eating the tiki cat. The cans are small so he's going through a lot. I know the luau kind is low carb. Going to try some of the big Cans if they are low too. Also want to find some dry for him but its hard to find low carb ones. The tiki cat is 11 percent I think. His blood sugar runs between 450 and 550. Hopefully with the insulin and good food we can bring it down

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

The only Dry Carb Kibble are Young Again Zero, Dr. Elsey’s Cleanprotein (chicken flavor) and Wysong Epigen 90 are all 5% carbs or less. but they are expensive.
    You need to order them on line

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.