Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julie W, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie W

Julie W Member

Hi, my cat Pepper was diagnosed 9/24. He received his first injection of 3U ProZinc on 9/25. I joined the FD Facebook group and learned about home testing, so I decided not to inject again until I got the meter. I went with the Relion prime since it sounded like a lot of people on here use it, so if I had issues, people would be familiar with it. My vet said he usually starts cats at 2U, but because of the size of mine (17lbs) he thought 3U would be good. Reading hear was recommended 1U. With the glucose so high I thought 2U would be ok, so started there. Anyway, my vet said not to shoot if I got a reading of 150 or less. I had already gotten that reading once prior to that discussion! Anyway, getting that twice within 4 days, I decided to lower the dose to 1U. My thought is if I have to not shoot that often, it's too high a dose. The 1U seemed to not do enough, so I upped it to 1.25U. His numbers are all over the place. I feel like I am out here trying to treat him by myself. I haven't had the time to research this nor figure out how to navigate a message board like I need to, and I'm sorry for that. I apologize if I'm doing something wrong. In the last month I have had 3 sick cats, and lost one 2 days ago. I'm doing the best I can, and sometimes all I can do is make sure he doesn't go hypo and get through the day myself. I'm feeding him fancy feast classic pate only. My question is do I need to up his insulin to 1.5U, or what? Thank you for any help.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DbvDjFC7PFVM4g_d70x3mtE46mk/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good job on your first post Julie! Glad to see you over here from the FB group too!

Yes, I think you should try 1.5 but it's also important to always get at least 1 test on the PM cycle too (most cats drop lower at night). You don't necessarily have to get up in the middle of the night to get one (although a lot of us drink a large glass of water so we "have to" get up....as long as we're up anyway, we grab a test) If you can get a "before bed" test at like +3, it will be helpful.

Here is some information on dosing with ProZinc. Since you're still very new to this, you'd want to start with the "Start Low, Go Slow" method

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and I’m very sorry for your loss cat_wings>o

don’t feel bad, it’s a ton of information and it can be overwhelming. We can help you and post links that you should read as Chris just did.

good for you for realizing the dose was too high. Can’t imagine starting at 3 units :arghh: and you’re good with the low carb food too so you’re already doing a lot of things right.

ask as many questions as you have to and welcome again! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Julie W

Julie W Member

Thank you! I will change to 1.5U tomorrow. I will also try to get some tests in before bed.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY! :bighug:
    We're here to help anyone who needs it! Youve already received great advice . And you'd never convince me youve never navigated a message board before.
    WELL DONE!

We look forward to getting to know you and your extra sweet Pepper:cool:

jeanne

6. Julie W

Julie W Member

Thank you, Aleluia. The one I lost was sudden. Took her to the vet a week and a half ago because I thought she was gaining weight, but her belly was getting hard. It all was so fast. Pepper was the start of everything. And another cat is having ear and eye issues. So I'm trying, and very grateful for the help, and patients from Chris!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Julie W

Julie W Member

Thank you JT

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry for the loss of your kitty sigh. They take a piece of us with them...:bighug::rb_icon::bighug:

9. Julie W

Julie W Member

Yes, they definitely do! It's hard, wondering if I could have done something different. But that won't bring her back. I lost another one April 15th, so it's not a good year to be one of my babies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.