New Member, Very New

CP1112

Member Since 2026
Hello! My soon to be 14 year old cat that I've had from birth was just diagnosed with diabetes almost a week ago. He declined so fast within 2 days. I rushed him to the emergency vet where i learned of his diagnosis with a reading of 606 & has DKA. I than transfered him to another hospital where he stayed 3 days & was discharged. I was given basic info on how to manage the medications he went home on. Lantus 2 units 2x a day, a powder mixed with food, a 1/4th of a pill 3x a day & another medication in case he stops eating. I'm sure like many of you, I am overwhelmed & want to be sure I am doing right by my baby. I myself have major health issues but not diabetes. I got a digital reader-ReliOn, Lancet's & strips. I was told to do his paws since he refuses his ears & 1 is bent from it swelling. Its been hard to get that. I switched to wet food, Fancy feast pate. Are there aptly tips to get a reading? Should I switch digital readers? Lancet size? I've been giving him his insulin as prescribed but after coming to the group & forum I realize I should & need to be testing. If any other advice can be given that im not asking or thinking of i would greatly appreciate it. Everyone around me wanted me to put my baby down & I just could not. I want to extend his life as much as possible
 
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough start. I want to reassure you that you definitely don't have to put him down-- plenty of cats go on to live full lives with FD.

Do you know what the other meds the vet put him on are?

But the ReliOn is a perfectly fine meter to use! I love mine. I test via his ears, so I don't have any tips for paw testing, but I know if you do larger gauge lancets it can definitely help. You can also entice him with a treat after each test (I use freeze dried chicken breast) to get a positive association with testing.

I recommend reading through some of the links in this post. There's a wealth of info here to help you take care ya boy!! And if you have any qs, feel free to ask even if you feel dumb!!! I had to ask if I was reading my syringes correctly (I WASN'T!)
 
Hi! Thank you for taking the time out to reply. Also thank you for the link to the post. I am going to read that.
He was <- i say that because this morning was his last dose of Advita probiotic. He also gets a fourth of a pill (8mg) of Ondasetron. He has Elura prescribed in case he stops eating.
I believe I have to up the gauge size. I wish I could do his ears.
I took a Pic of the dosing the vet said I had to give to ensure I didnt mess up because I am not use to the increments they said I had to give
 
Just to give you hope; my last diabetic was hospitalized for over 8 days with DKA. When he came home he had a feeding tube because he would not eat for them there. He was weak and tired and probably a little confused after his ordeal when he came home.
He lived another 9 years after that as a diabetic until he passed at 20 years old.
 
Oh thank you so much. That really gives me so much hope!!
I've been trying to see if I can do a raw diet with him. He's always loved chicken & I see to boil that. So I'm going to see if I can recipes or help with that diet.
 
Hi @CP1112! Welcome to the forum you wish you didn't have to be a member of 🥴

Liz has given you a great link above. In it there are instructions for filling out your signature and setting up a spreadsheet. Please take a moment to do both of these. If you need help with any of this, let us know.

Regarding lancets, it is best to start with a larger ones, size 26 or 28. It can take a little bit of time for a kitty's ears to 'learn to bleed," so you if you're trying ears, you'll just need to stick with it. How are things going with testing on the paw? Some kitties are not amenable to either ear or paw testing, and if your boy isn't you might consider getting a CGM.

Fancy Feast Pates are a good low carb choice for now. Once you get everything sort of ironed out with your kitty's treatment, you can think about raw or home cooked food. For right now, unless he has elevated kidney values, I'd just stick with FF pates for convenience.

You should always test kitty prior to administering insulin. You'll want to withhold food at least two hours prior to his shot time. When shot time arrives, you'll test, feed, shoot. I typically shoot Jude when his head is in the bowl and he's eating. Early on in treatment, you'll want to test frequently through a cycle so that you can learn how he is managing the insulin. I would capture at least a +2/+3 test (that means two/three hours after the shot), as that is about the time that Lantus begins working. That test will show you how responsive he is to the insulin. If his numbers are trending low, come to the forum for help. Please always have test strips, lancets, and a back-up meter on hand as well as medium and high carb food (the FF Gravy Lovers Beef is a high carb food--you can mix it with the lower carb to create a medium carb food). See the section on "hypo kit," to ensure you have this at the ready.

Are you testing for ketones? You should be since he's been diagnosed with DKA. I'm going to tag @Bron and Sheba (GA) to see if she has any advice for you regarding the DKA diagnosis.
 
Hi and welcome to the forum.
It would be very helpful if you could set up a spreadsheet and signature for your kitty. What is his name?
Here is a link to how to set up the spreadsheet and signature and other useful information
Help us help you

How well is you kitty eating?

Below is how you need to bee looking after your kitty now that he is home.

  • you need to give one and a half times as many calories as he normally eats. Offer snacks every couple of hours during the day and evening as well as the 2 main meals. Food is like a medicine and helps keep ketones away. If your kitty won’t eat the low carb food, feed him whatever he will eat as eating any food is better than not eating,
  • Don’t skip any doses of insulin as insulin helps keep ketones away. If the BG is not high enough to give the dose…stall, dont feed and test again in 20 minutes and post and ask for help.
  • Test daily for ketones. Put the results of the tests into the remarks column of the SS so we can see. Please report any trace ketones at all.
  • Give antinausea medication if needed. I see you have ondansetron…that is good. Keep giving that for now as instructed.
  • Give appetite stimulant if needed after the antinausea medication
  • Give extra fluids. If kitty will tolerate warm water in the food, put a teaspoon into each snack..
  • Ask the vet about subQ fluids
  • Set up a spreadsheet and test the BG frequently. If you have any trouble setting up the spreadsheet let me know and someone will help you with it.
  • Post daily with updates and ask for help as often as needed
 
This truly is a wealth of information. Thank you all so very much for taking the time out to send this!
His name is Chip. I am struggling to get a reading from his paws. I don't want to make his poor paw pads sore from sticking so much. I have a 28g lancet I believe & the times I've tried, the meter keeps reading as not enough blood. His ears are not a option as even the vet said he refused for them or the 1 i should say since his left ear is crippled badly so there's nothing for me to grab.
When I first brung him in, his BG read 606. I am unsure how to test for ketones 😓
I've been giving his shot when he is eating. I'm still trying to learn what is "low" & "high" for him since he was severe or the numbers to keep in range for him to give his insulin.
May I ask what does "CGM" mean? & is there a recommendation on how to obtain one?
I've been feeding FF pate, at times with a small scoop of Churro since he doesn't always want to eat the pate but I am going to most definitely add water. It came across my mind to do that.
Since bringing him home, overall he is better, eating more small meals than before & I have a running filtered water dish but I still want to monitor his numbers & that's where I am having so much anxiety on not knowing. The vet bill I still owe as they were so kind & gracious to let me take him with a fee still owed.
I also have anxiety that He will associate me with pain on his feet even with treats.
I have taken a look at the spreadsheet & I do feel lost with it 😅
 
A CGM is a Continuous Glucose Monitor. I personally do not use them because Crowley is too much of a criminal to tolerate them (and handles the testing very well), but you can find more info here.

Ketones are most commonly tested using urine strips. I know what you're thinking-- I don't know how to catch my cat's urine!!! We got a post for that! Personally, I used a foil spoon at first and now I bought a new spoon that is just for cat pee. Piss spoon.

I will say that I was also worried that Crowley would be mad at me for the testing, but if anything, we're even closer now (as if he wasn't a clingy boy already!) I think they do eventually realize that what you're doing helps them feel better and act accordingly.

I thiiiiink @Tim & Pookey or @Marje and Gracie might be able to help with getting the spreadsheet set up. If you're running into a small issue I might be able to help minorly troubleshoot 😅
 
A CGM is a Continuous Glucose Monitor. I personally do not use them because Crowley is too much of a criminal to tolerate them (and handles the testing very well), but you can find more info here.

Ketones are most commonly tested using urine strips. I know what you're thinking-- I don't know how to catch my cat's urine!!! We got a post for that! Personally, I used a foil spoon at first and now I bought a new spoon that is just for cat pee. Piss spoon.

I will say that I was also worried that Crowley would be mad at me for the testing, but if anything, we're even closer now (as if he wasn't a clingy boy already!) I think they do eventually realize that what you're doing helps them feel better and act accordingly.

I thiiiiink @Tim & Pookey or @Marje and Gracie might be able to help with getting the spreadsheet set up. If you're running into a small issue I might be able to help minorly troubleshoot 😅
I’m in Kenya for a month with limited WiFi and no way to do spreadsheets but @Sara & Khloe is doing them. She’s a great option and she’s on the board more than Bhooma.
 
This truly is a wealth of information. Thank you all so very much for taking the time out to send this!
His name is Chip. I am struggling to get a reading from his paws. I don't want to make his poor paw pads sore from sticking so much. I have a 28g lancet I believe & the times I've tried, the meter keeps reading as not enough blood. His ears are not a option as even the vet said he refused for them or the 1 i should say since his left ear is crippled badly so there's nothing for me to grab.
When I first brung him in, his BG read 606. I am unsure how to test for ketones 😓
I've been giving his shot when he is eating. I'm still trying to learn what is "low" & "high" for him since he was severe or the numbers to keep in range for him to give his insulin.
May I ask what does "CGM" mean? & is there a recommendation on how to obtain one?
I've been feeding FF pate, at times with a small scoop of Churro since he doesn't always want to eat the pate but I am going to most definitely add water. It came across my mind to do that.
Since bringing him home, overall he is better, eating more small meals than before & I have a running filtered water dish but I still want to monitor his numbers & that's where I am having so much anxiety on not knowing. The vet bill I still owe as they were so kind & gracious to let me take him with a fee still owed.
I also have anxiety that He will associate me with pain on his feet even with treats.
I have taken a look at the spreadsheet & I do feel lost with it 😅
Ariel, You say Chip's left ear is crippled. Can you try to test with his right ear? Even if you're testing with only one ear, if you're moving around to different locations on the outside of the ear for each poke, he should be okay--that is, if he'll tolerate it. When testing on the ear, are you using a warming device, like a rice sock? You can make these with toddler socks--fill them with rice and tie them off. (I use baby mittens that I have filled with rice and sewn at the top--whatever you can find is fine.) You can warm them in the microwave for 10 seconds or so, and use them to warm the ear, bringing the blood to the ear's surface. Under this link (Sticky - INDEX: Health Links/FAQs), under the Home testing and Blood Glucose Meters section, there is some information for home testing, including how to test. You might find that information useful.

The vet will need to prescribe the CGM. If you choose a CGM, please refer to the guidelines posted above on CGMs. People here on the forum who've used CGMs for awhile and have experience with them have contributed to the guidelines. Vets often want to use glue with these, and my understanding is that the glue can be damaging for the cat's skin. Again, the guidelines above discuss this.

I tried once to poke Jude's paw and that was a hard "no" for him. We poke on the ear, and while it took some time for him to get used to it, it's pretty much nothing for him at this point. I'm not sure if there are many people on the forum who do test on the paw; if there are, I hope they will weigh in with some assistance for you.

At the beginning of diagnosis and treatment, things can be overwhelming and anxiety provoking with feline diabetes. It's all so new, and there is so much to learn. We've all been there. Overtime, you'll settle into a rhythm and routine with Chip, I promise.
 
I have lancets I have to manually poke & thinking I should switch to the ones that are push injected if that makes sense. He's not been allowing either as he is getting better but I am determined. I am going to try his ear again & see how that goes. He was NOT happy about the paw 😅

I got u100 needles for his insulin but the syringe measurements are now different. Is there anyone that can assist with that? Im terrified of giving too much or little
 
I have lancets I have to manually poke & thinking I should switch to the ones that are push injected if that makes sense. He's not been allowing either as he is getting better but I am determined. I am going to try his ear again & see how that goes. He was NOT happy about the paw 😅

I got u100 needles for his insulin but the syringe measurements are now different. Is there anyone that can assist with that? Im terrified of giving too much or little
I personally use the pressure activated safety lancets as I found it intimidating to free-hand. We started out with 26g until Moonie's ears learned to bleed better (the ear will develop capillaries over time with repeated poking), and now we're at 28g.

Are you using syringes with half unit marks? I also like using calipers to make dosing really consistent, and they're very easy to use. We use these syringes.
https://www.chewy.com/ulticare-vetrx-insulin-syringes-u-100/dp/206405

Info - Dosing with calipers updated w/videos

A couple other notes (that may or may not helpful):
At first, Moonie was very resistant to me holding anything to her ear, so I'd warm up my hand until it was almost too uncomfortable to stand, and then I'd massage her ear. Now we use either hand warmers or a microwaved rice sock. But you may want to try different options to see what your kitty will tolerate.

We ONLY give treats during testing time. When we were trying to test, we would give a treat regardless of whether we got blood or not. We probably fed her an insane number of churus during this process, but it was more important to me that she learn to associate testing with treats than controlling her treat intake.

In the beginning, we would apply a very thin layer of Emla cream to Moonie's ear 30 mins before the tests. I kind of think it was more psychological for me because I've never seen Moonie flinch or change her face expression when I poke her with the lancet, but in the beginning, it helped me get over my fear of hurting her as it's a numbing cream. You have to get it prescribed and you can only apply a tiny tiny dab.
 
I got u100 needles for his insulin but the syringe measurements are now different. Is there anyone that can assist with that? Im terrified of giving too much or little

See this for what each line on the U100 3/10 cc syringe is:

49823063143_3437e9e997_o.jpg


What do you mean the syringe measurements are now different?
 
I am sorry for my late reply! I had half markers before on the needles supplied to me from the vet. When I had to resupply I got from my local pharmacy & those did not have the half markers. With the visual given I was able to read it correctly. Thank you!!

May I ask, when it comes to the lancet device, the one I am getting has settings to adjust the needle depth. Is there a recommended number I should keep it or adjust it until he is use to it?
 
Try the lowest depth setting and go up as needed until you get blood. Getting the ear really really warm usually means a lower depth setting.
 
Back
Top