New Member thread Rudy 4/25 AMPS 328, +3 308

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SweetGreyRudy, Apr 25, 2024.

1. SweetGreyRudy

SweetGreyRudy Member

Hello all!

We are new to this thread, going to start daily posts with the hope ya'll can help us get Rudy down from his current bouncy numbers. You'll see on his spreadsheet that since his 3/9/24 dx, we've had a few blue numbers and even a couple of greens on 4/11/24. Ever since then, we've really struggled to even get blue numbers which we assumed was Rudy bouncing.

We've been playing around with different LC foods and feeding/shooting times but have currently landed with this schedule: LC wet food 9AM/9PM with TR Glargine 3U. LC snacks at 1PM/5PM/1AM/5AM. We feed him Arcana wet food and Vital Essential freeze-dried raw snacks, but have gotten consult here that we may need to move back to Tiki Cat - I think Rudy is really sensitive and the switch to Arcana could be contributing to these numbers.

Additionally, you'll notice that we've been inconsistent with getting nighttime numbers to determine if he is dipping at night and what his nadir is. We're going to test at 3AM for a few days to get some more data.

Here is my question for today:
    1. Rudy was last weighed at 16.5lbs on 3/9/24, and we were told he needs to lose weight. What are thoughts on getting him to the right numbers while simultaneously losing weight? We weren't doing snacks until the past few days bc we were told that would lead to weight gain (or maintaining), but I think waiting too long between meals is contributing to his numbers being so bouncy. I just don't want to restrict calories in a way that's negatively impacting BG even if it means he's in the right caloric range. Rudy is VERY lazy lol (even before his dx) and not motivated at all by movement, so him losing weight is really going to depend on his calories and food quality. We found that he got constipated by eating just Tiki Cat, which prompted the move to Arcana bc it's still LC but has a higher fat content. He's been regular since the switch but now we have the higher numbers. Thoughts? Maybe switch back from Arcana to Tiki Cat and add in fish oil or some other fat?

Please let me know if there is more info you need from us as this is all still so new!

--
    Jordan, Kai, & Rudy

2. JoM

JoM Member

I dont have any answers for you as Karamelles diagnosis was less than 4 months ago and I still dont feel like I know whats going on most of the time. But I can offer some advice to get responses. In the title at the left there is a drop down menu that has a ? that you can use. Plus I always put QUESTION??? at the end of the title as well. Once i get answers, i remove these from the title. I hope you can figure out what the issue might be.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    SweetGreyRudy likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@SweetGreyRudy
    Welcome to the lantus board Jordan, Kai and Rudy
    when you post in the lantus we have a certain way to post first put the
    Date Rudy then AMPS BG number and any additional tests after that , you can continue with Rudy's PMPS cycle also .
    Try and post everyday and then link your previous days post to your new one

Here is your previous post :cat: We link it in case members need to go back to it and re read something , so they can just tap on the link and won't have to go searching for it
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...e-back-up-with-same-dose.288390/#post-3173428

I really stink at explaining things lol
    Your previous days post will always be in the URL all the way up top ignore where it says insert or cancel I'm just trying to show you where your previous days post will be

[​IMG]

Like I said
    your previous days post it will be the one all the way up top, above the pic of that cat and the picture of a bottle of insulin there, let me know if you understand it

[​IMG]

So when you do your post for tomorrow which will be 4/26/24
    You are going to go all the way to the top of this post which is 4/25/24 where I showed you it is and you will copy that and then paste it to your post for tomorrow , then you can continue to write what you want to.
    Please let me know if you understand this

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  4. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Whatever his ideal weight should be you times that by 20
    So for example if his ideal weight should be 14 lbs you would do
    14x 20 =280 calories a day

6. SweetGreyRudy

SweetGreyRudy Member

@Angela & Cleo We were told by the urgent care vet to feed him 250 calories a day, which using @Diane Tyler's Mom calculation puts Rudy's ideal weight at 12.5lbs. We are probably feeding him closer to 260/day. Thank you for the resources!

@Diane Tyler's Mom + @JoM Thank you for the explanations for posting guidelines/tips. We will make sure to link the previous day's post in our daily thread. We are grateful for people's responses as we try to figure this all out.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

You're welcome Kai :cat: Feeding 260 calories isn't bad :cat: