New Member, Terrified

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Squeaky was diagnosed yesterday. I am having a hard time with it. I will write more tomorrow.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Breathe.
    Diabetes is not a death sentence. It can be frightening at first but it can be managed and we can help.

3. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

Hi Jan, I'm fairly new too and it was really scary at first. Well, it still is at times, but as you figure things out, it becomes less scary.
    :bighug:

4. Jan D & Squeaky

Today on the phone the doctor was saying, if Squeaky goes into a diabetic coma, I will have to take him to a 24-hour vet hospital. Those places have traumatized me in the past....... The prices are so high......

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you to those who are encouraging me.....

6. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

They are very high and we have spent a lot of money at ER's over the years. We applied for a Care Credit card. I don't know if that's an option for you. But if you have to go, they can fill out the application at the ER. We have it paid off now and we only use it for emergencies. The interest rate is insane but it has saved our babies a few times.

Have you started testing or insulin yet? Did your vet tell you what to look for to recognize a hypo?

7. Red & Rover (GA)

hometesting is how you keep your cat safe.
    not treating diabetes will also mean an ER visit.

8. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Agreed, home-testing will help you to stay on top of Squeaky's health and prevent those ER visits.
    Take your time, we're here to help when you're ready. :bighug:

9. Jan D & Squeaky

Mandy:

I don't know what a hypo is. I've given Squeaky two insulin shots so far. Last one, I burst into tears afterwards and scared him into hiding. (frowny face)

Care credit doesn't change anything. You have to have the money to be able to pay off a bill. I've already spent $4,000 this year on my beloved cat. And that was before the diabetes diagnosis. I only get a little more than my housing expense each month and I don't want to spend down my retirement savings. The $1,800 crown on my tooth last month was another huge expense. I wish money was unlimited!

10. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I understand. It is very stressful worrying about how we'll pay for emergencies. A hypo is when the blood sugar drops too low. My vet never mentioned it either and I'm really lucky I found this place. Read this sticky, it explains what hypo means. https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

Are you testing Squeaky's blood sugar at home?

11. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

@Jan D , Squeaky is beautiful. Makes me kind of teary because we lost a precious Tiger boy about a year ago and he reminds me of him.

12. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

@Jan D You mentioned spending a lot of money this year on Squeaky. What were his other health issues?

13. Jan D & Squeaky

Mandy, not testing blood sugar yet. I don't know how, don't know what equipment to get.

14. Jan D & Squeaky

Thank you. I took him camping in a neighbor's yard this year. Hope to do so again, if he gets better. Doing pretty poorly now.

15. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

It's okay! I cried when my little one was first diagnosed. I didn't even know what diabetes was ... I mean I just knew it had to do with obesity and sugary foods, but that was it. It's hard at first but it gets easier. The nice thing about you finding us here is you have a support system now. <3

I wish money was unlimited too. Our animals certainly think it is. :rolleyes:

For peace of mind Jan, here is a link to financial resources if you need them. Specifically, Diabetic Cats In Need (DCIN) provides insulin and testing supplies to low-income caregivers. They can also help with vet expenses. If you are not low-income, they will still provide you with a testing kit and first few months of insulin if you ask.

There is a lot of information and stuff to learn ... but you don't need to learn everything overnight. If you feel overwhelmed just step back and look at everything when you're ready. If you have specific questions do ask, and let us know when you're ready for guidance.

16. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I was so lost on it all too. I use the Relion Prime from Walmart. It was only about $10 and the strips, lances and lancing devices were all together under $40 I believe.
    I know some more experienced members will chime in and give you much better advice than I can on how to use everything or point you to good posts on the board.
    I'm so sorry Squeaky is feeling so bad right now. :bighug:

17. Red & Rover (GA)

The Relion meter from Walmart is inexpensive. I'm not in the US. I believe it is the Relion Premier or Prime. The vet might tell you that you have to use a pet meter. You don't. A human glucometer will do the job and won't break the bank. Strips for pet meter are $1/strip and you will go thru more than you imagine. Relion strips are 18 cents or so.
    Just tell your vet you cannot afford pet meter strips. Vet used human meters before pet meters came along.
    What insulin were you given?

18. Red & Rover (GA)

19. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you live in the US, you can't get cheaper than the Relion Prime from WalMart. The meter is usually $9 and a box of 100 strips is $17.88. Add a box of 100 lancets for about $5 and that's all you really need to get started!

I also liked having a package of cotton cosmetic pads (about $2) to have something to put behind China's ear to protect my finger when poking and then to fold over and apply pressure afterwards to prevent bruising.

20. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I actually just ordered a 4-pack from Walmart's website for about $6 ... and then they sent me two extra boxes. :woot:

21. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat was diagnosed 4 years ago. They can live long healthy lives. And while she has definitly had times where she went too low, we were able to get the numbers back up by being vigilant with testing just like a person with diabetes would do.

It's totally normal to be scared at first. When my cat was diagnosed I cried for about 12 hours straight. But over the days following things got better.... And it will get better for you too. You are not alone.

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

22. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

No truer words...

23. Douglas_my ginger cat

Douglas_my ginger cat Member

Hi Jan,

You really are in the right place. My Douglas was diagnosed in July this year and at that time it felt so overwhelming trying to understand it all. I was so lucky to have found this forum. My first week of being on here and I had members telling me that I will pick it up with home testing and administering insulin. I am about 7 weeks in and I am so much more in control. You will get there and we will help you.

But it is so important to take a step back and breathe, it is easy to drown in all the information.

24. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Mandy, I read about the hypos and printed it for reference.

25. Jan D & Squeaky

26. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Janet, that's my name too is your cat named Squeaky? LOL. I will watch your video.

27. Mandy S

Mandy S Member

I did the same. I also printed out the information about the different dosing methods and anything else that I thought I would need to refer back to and then highlighted things that were important.

How are you doing today? I hope things don't feel as stressful as they did yesterday.

28. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow Panic. I feel supported from all of you, and understood, and I am grateful! I will apply to all the resources you suggested, today. Actually I am also going to apply to about 4 more pet charities today as well. Now that the feds aren't providing the extra $600 each week,..... I'm not making living expenses. Not destitute or needing to sell my condo just yet, but I've started going to the food pantries. I don't think my profession (massage) will be a good idea until next March or so. Therefore... Every bit helps.....

29. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi Jan
    We are new to this too - Mac has only been on insulin since 15th Aug. Yes it is scary when you first find out and you will have ups and downs when you doubt that you can do it - I have. But just post on here when ever you need help, info or just reassurance and the lovely people will pick you up, brush you down and get you going again & never ever do they make you feel stupid. The best support group there is.
    All the best to you & Squeaky

Gill

30. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Mandy, Yes today is better. When Squeaky does better, I do better too and he had more energy today, is eating well, and came and purred on me. We sat outside in the grass for about an hour this morning, that is always good. He is still drinking a lot. So far, no diarrhea.

Okay here is Squeaky's story. Well, coming soon.

31. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

[QUOTE="JanetNJ, post: 2626537, member: 15296
    I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.[/QUOTE]

Hi Janet NJ
    Watched your video - thanks for making that. Beautiful cat and takes it all so calmly! Gives me real hope that Mac will get that chilled out about it one day.

Gill

32. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Meant to add Jan - one tip that someone on here gave me at the start that really works for injection time is either talk to Squeaky in a sing-song voice or actually sing at him - you'll appear calm (fake it) and that will help keep him calm. I tried it out & it works for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.