New Member - Syringe Types

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann and Blackie, Mar 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann and Blackie

Ann and Blackie New Member

Blackie is on Prozinc and I'm using a U-40 Insulin Syringe. I wear eyeglass magnifiers but still have trouble determining partial doses, especially .25. I suppose the syringe would have to be even smaller. Is that that what these are? If so, can they only be purchased on this site?
    Advocate 31-Gauge 3/10CC (U-40) Syringes - Pack of 100

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo
  2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

There is an easier way, I just can't remember how. By replying to this I just pushed your question back to the top, that's what "bumping" is. You'll get an answer soon.
    At one time I used to take a photo of the syringe and then magnify it. I wouldn't recommend that.

3. Ann and Blackie

Thanks Noah & me, I'd love to hear it...nothing is easy at 72! :)

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

72 just means you should be retired and have more time. It took me a long time to realize how many people here are "old" and/or disabled.
    Whoever came up with Golden Years never had cats or dogs. Noah was the cat, I'm Dickson.

Ann and Blackie likes this.
  5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi--

I'm afraid I can't help on specific U-40 syringes, as I haven't used them, but those do look like they might have a small-ish barrel (means the lines will be farther apart and easier to see). These look like they're about the size barrel of a typical U-100 syringe?

That brings up another option with U-40 insulins. If you're comfortable with it, you could use a U-100 syringe and a conversion table to get the appropriate dose. Here's the one we use on this site: conversion chart. On this chart, 0.2U of a U-40 insulin means drawing up to 0.5U on a U-100 syringe, so it might be a little easier to do a dose like that consistently.

Final (and perhaps easiest!) strategy: forget drawing up exactly 0.25U and just concentrate on getting a consistent dose. Make up a sample syringe with colored water for what you have decided will be 'your' 0.25U, and then use it for comparison when you're drawing up insulin. Many people find this helpful at these small doses, especially when the syringes themselves are inconsistently marked.

Hope this helps!

6. Ann and Blackie

Nan, Am I correct in assuming then that a U-100 syringe has a narrower barrel? The conversion table is very helpful and I understand the concept. I'll talk to my vet about them on Monday and maybe he can show me the difference between the two, side by side. I think the U-100 syringes might be the best answer for me. Are they available at Walmart at a better price than a typical vet's office?

Does anyone else have anything to add about this?

Thanks very much Nan for your help!

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, in general, U-100 syringes tend to have a narrower barrel than U-40, however: in this case I'm not 100% certain that they'll be much different than the U-40 syringes you identified. The reason is, total volume of a typical U-100 syringe that we use is 3/10 cc, same as the U-40 syringes you found. So the barrels may be the same size (both narrower than your current syringes, I guess?).

Wish I were more familiar with U-40 syringes, so I could say for sure! In any case, here's a document from the Prozinc forum. It discusses ways to do "fine dosing" with really tiny doses, as well as other good info: INSULIN CARE AND SYRINGE INFO Proper Handling and Drawing

Most human insulins come in U-100 concentration, so U-100 syringes should be widely available at places like Walmart or human pharmacies if you decide to go with that option. You do sometimes have to hunt a bit to make sure you're getting half-unit markings.

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Absolutely....$12.58 for a box of 100 syringes. They come in 2 different types of packaging though but as long as they are 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes, they do have half unit marks (no matter what the people at WalMart might tell you)
    upload_2021-3-27_19-54-44.png
    upload_2021-3-27_19-55-32.png

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

And just a tidbit of advice ... if you decide to go with u-100 syringes using the conversion chart, PLEASE label the old u-40 syringes with big lettering and put them up high and away in the back of some cupboard.

If you accidentally grabbed a u-40 rather than a u-100 syringe, you’d overdose your cat. It’s happened more than once around here...

(Don’t let the above discourage you from using the u-100s — it’s easier to dose in 0.25u increments with u-100s and the conversion isn’t hard once you get used to it, although I always kept a cheat sheet handy for good measure).

Edited to add: If you want to prove to yourself that the conversion is correct, you can draw up colored water in your u-40 syringe and transfer it to the u-100. Sometimes we just need to see it to believe it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Reason for edit: Correct typos, add info
  10. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

11. Ann and Blackie

Thank you to everyone! You've all been a great help! Since I'm almost out of syringes, this is a good time to make the switch.

12. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Hi Chris , I’m looking to get u100 syringes with the half unit mark. Is that what these are? My Bear has been on 1 unit of Lantus ( we draw from the pen) but we need to increase and the syringes I have don’t show half units. The vet said he will give us a script for them as it is hard for them to order them. This doesn’t make any sense but ok... please let me know where I can purchase these.

thank you!

13. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yes, the photos Chris posted show what you want. You can buy them at the Pharmacy counter of Walmart.

14. Janey & Bear

Janey & Bear Member

Thank you!

15. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, they have half unit marks (no matter what they might tell you at WalMart)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.