New Member Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dana M, Apr 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana M

Dana M New Member

Hello,

My Fuzz was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, on lantus 2.5 weeks. He is chronic pancreatitis also.

Questions...Fuzz is in 300s first times in a week. Normal that it can happen?
    He also has been not great since yesterday, not wanting to eat, I am syringing him. Reminder that he is chronic pancreatitis, had partial pancreatic duct obstruction which he was on veraflox for. He's been done with the veraflox for about 10 days, I picked up another bottle today.
    Also to the mix is he now has his brother's URI, doesn't have the discharge like Ruster, but I heard 3 congested coughs yesterday. No fever.
    Tomorrow we have to leave the house 6:30ish to take his brother to Cornell. Injection time is 10:30-11. My vet said to skip the morning dose, does that sound right? So either take him with us (3 hour drive) or give partial dose early?
    Is this recent malaise pancreatitis, diabetes, URI or combo of them?

Thanks!

Dana & Fuzz

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XGagTPbbvxFXdJdHOCQ0r_ToVoB2PE4C4Yt0kgWxi1Y/edit?usp=sharing

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Are you using our SS? I might ask @Bandit's Mom to check.
    If your kitty is unwell and not wanting to eat much I would not skip the dose of insulin.
    I would take him with you and continue to make sure he is getting some food and monitoring the BG.
    I don’t know what is causing the malaise but if he is not eating and has an infection he has two of the three ingredients for getting ketones and DKA so you don’t want to skip the insulin as that is the third ingredient…not enough insulin.

Are you testing the urine for ketones? If not I would go out today and buy a bottle of Ketostix from Walmart or a pharmacy and collect a urine sample and test it for ketones. There should be no ketones in the urine. If there are, then you need to tell the vet. A trace of ketones is usually manageable at home but they can multiply quickly so I would not ignore them. It is important we establish if he has ketones today so please don’t neglect to do this.

Also do you have an anti nausea medication to give him?
    Is he in pain?
    I would also try and get some more tests in during the pm cycle which is just as important as the am cycle.

3. Dana M

Dana M New Member

4. Dana M

Dana M New Member

Negative today and yesterday for ketones. He is in full panc meds, cerenia, ondansetron, buprenex, cypro. He ate 1.25 FF on his own, I syringed another.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s great you are testing for ketones and they are negative.
    Poor boy, pancreatitis is painful. My Sheba always used to go off her food with pancreatitis.
    I still would not skip the am dose but take him with you so you can feed him and monitor the BG.
    The URI may be robbing him of the smell of food and you know how rotten you feel with a URI and that combined with pancreatitis is probably why he is not wanting to eat much. That is good he ate some of the food himself.
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things for him.

6. Gus the Furminator

Gus the Furminator Well-Known Member

Hi Dana, Kim from FB :)

Let’s try and get your signature set up so we can get you some help with dosing :bighug:

What you’ll want to do is go to your name, top right, and click on signature in the dropdown. Have a look at my signature as a guide - I’m going to go find some links to help you with this in the meanwhile.

7. Gus the Furminator

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

• Add info we need to help you:
      • Caregiver & kitty's name
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently it is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

Gus the Furminator likes this.
  9. Gus the Furminator

Thanks @Diane Tyler's Mom :)

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kim, you're very welcome :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.