New Member - question about human glucometers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenny&Tux, Mar 9, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Hello!

I have a question about using human vs animal glucometers.

I originally purchased the AlphaTrax from Amazon for $90, but have since purchased (and am using) the ReliOn Premium Classic because it was drastically cheaper. I plan on returning the AlphaTrax.

I’ve read that lots of people use human glucose meters, but how do the numbers compare to using the animal meter? I’ve read the human meters show lower numbers than the animal ones. How will these numbers translate when meeting with the vet if they use an animal meter? Is there a conversion chart? Does it even work like that?

Just some background info: my Tux (14, M) was diagnosed end of Feb ‘23 and we’re on his 4th day of insulin - glargine. I do AMPS and PMPS. I don’t have a SS set up yet (technical difficulties), but I have all his numbers recorded.

We’re new to all of this, and it’s been a struggle understanding all the nuances that come with it, so thanks to all who take the time to give input and advice.

edited for spelling

MimiG likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny and Tux and welcome to the forum.
    Very glad to hear you are using glargine and are hometesting!
    We can help with the spreadsheet if you have run into difficulties. Just let us know.

The human meter numbers are a bit lower than the pet meter numbers. There is no comparison chart but with the human meter numbers the blood glucose for a non diabetic cat is 50-120. So we say the take action BG is 50.
    With the pet meter we say the take action BG is 68.
    As the BGs get lower on both meters, the BGs get closer. As they get higher (300s and 400s, the difference is much greater.
    Personally I would stay with the human meter. Most of us use them here and our dosing methods are based on the human meter BGs. And it is far cheaper to run.
    Before pet meters, all vets used human meters so they know what the normal BGs are on a human meter. Just stick to your guns and says you are using a human meter becasue you can’t afford to pay $1 for each strip…..that is fair.

Wonderful you are getting the preshot BGs. Glargine dosing is based on the nadir or lowest point in the cycle so I would recommend you get at least one test in each cycle somewhere between +4 and +7. Change the times so you can find the nadir….which can change from cycle to cycle, especially in the beginning.
    Are you feeding snacks during the cycles as well as the preshot meals?

Have a look at the yellow stickies at the top of the Lantus page. Lots of information including dosing methods
    When you are totally set up I will get you to start posting over there.
    LANTUS PAGE
    Keep asking questions. We are happy to help
    Bron

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Jenny and Tux , you couldn't have found a better group to join.
    If it wasn't for the experienced members giving me advice ,Tyler wouldn't be in remission since 1-24-21
    I have to tell you Tux is just too darn adorable!
    Oh can you please add the DX date when Tux was diagnosed to your signature :cat:
    I would stay with the Relion meter also, just tell the vet you can't afford the strips for the Alpha Trak

Jenny&Tux likes this.
  4. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Thank you for the thorough reply!

I haven’t attempted to get a nadir yet. We’re still working on being cooperative enough for morning and evening readings lol. I will attempt starting tomorrow, and we have a curve planned for Tuesday, which will be 8 full days of insulin.

This has been an ordeal as well. I’ve had Tux since he was 12 weeks (from a shelter), and he’s been free fed dry food his entire life up to this point. I had thought Costco Kirkland was a good dry food, but I was wrong and uneducated.
    Upon diagnosis, we drastically reduced his kibble and started feeding FF pate. We switched from free feeding to two meals a day, but upon more reading, we realized that’s not advised. He doesn’t eat a whole meal at one time. I tried feeding twice a day, but he becomes destructive if he wants food and doesn’t have any.
    Now I feed him a mix of maybe a tablespoon of Orijen dry kibble (17% carbs), cooked chicken, and FF pate for breakfast, and he eats off that all day and finishes it around 1 or 2pm.
    He gets a very small amount (not even a tablespoon) of the Orijen kibble around 5 when I’m making dinner. For dinner, he gets the same as breakfast. A mix of kibble, cooked chicken, and FF. He doesn’t eat all of it, and I leave it until the next morning when I pick it up and make a fresh meal.

I take his BG before his AM and PM meals, let him eat, wait 30 min, then give him his shot. That’s been our routine since Monday, and it’s been working ok.

5. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Thanks for the reply!

I will add his DX date asap - I saw it in the instructions for signatures, but couldn’t figure out what “DX” meant lol.

I will definitely stay with the ReliOn meter and get my $90 back for the AlphaTrax!

This whole site and message board has been absolutely invaluable. Before Tux got diagnosed, I didn’t even know cats could get diabetes. He’s only the second cat I’ve ever had! We actually changed vets after a second opinion (not because of the diagnosis, but because of the treatment plan). His original vet prescribed Vetsulin, and after 3 different pharmacies told me it was backordered/unavailable, I started googling and found this site. Tux’s original vet gave me all the outdated information on his condition, and I was so frustrated/overwhelmed with everything. I’m hopeful with his new vet, though.

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It can take a while to get completely organised but you are getting there fast.

7. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that with a long lasting gentle insulin you don’t have to wait 30 minutes after you feed to shoot. It’s fine if you do, but you don’t have to. And good for you for realizing cats don’t do well with x2 meals only. It works for dogs, but cats have much higher metabolisms and smaller meals throughout the day are also easier on their pancreas.

welcome :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Jenny&Tux

Jenny&Tux Member

Thanks for letting me know about the unnecessary 30 min wait! That will make things just a little easier, which I will celebrate :cat:

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

You can pretty much test, feed and shoot within minutes. It takes about 2 hours for glargine to start working. Sometimes Minnie wouldn’t want to eat but I’d still shoot her because I knew I had 2 hours to coax her to eat :cat:

Jenny&Tux likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.