new member - meet Bella

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by hannahandbella, Feb 23, 2022.

1. hannahandbella

hannahandbella New Member

Hi everyone! New member here - wanted to introduce myself and Bella and ask a few questions.

Bella is about 11 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes in August. We enrolled him in a clinical trial and his vet care was through the trail for the past several months. Now that he's out and we're transitioning back to his regular vet for diabetes management, I'm trying to learn more about taking care of my lil sugarcat. He's currently on 2 units of Prozinc twice a day (and I'm not the best about making sure they are exactly 12 hours apart, so I'm trying to get better at that) - I don't know if that counts as either SLGS or TR?

We just started home testing (using an AlphaTrak 2, per the recommendation of my vet) and Bella is great about the testing most of the time - we're getting better but sometimes it takes a few tries to get enough blood. However, he absolutely will not tolerate testing before feeding. I know the recommendation is to test, feed, then do insulin - but Bella just gets HANGRY and won't let us do an ear prick before his breakfast and dinner. His numbers have been mostly high so I'm not too concerned about giving insulin without the test/think it's unlikely that he'll go into a hypo (and I try to check on him during the day). Could someone help me understand why we test first to decide if we can do insulin instead of after feeding? Should I feed, wait two hours, so I can test and then do insulin?

I'm also thinking about getting a timed feeder and switching him to four meals a day - he loves food and eats his meal (friskies pate) right away. When he was dry food I had an automatic feeder which gave him several small meals a day, which was great because he gets angry and demanding when he's hungry, but obviously that's not working now that we've switched to dry food.

I think I've got his spreadsheet set up correctly and I'm trying to get midday readings whenever I can to try and understand what his day looks like.

much thanks from me and Bella!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome! This forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, so since youre new with a lot of general questions can you repost this in main forum please? Just copy/paste. That way more people see it

I'll be along later tonight to help,wrapping up dinner and such

3. hannahandbella

hannahandbella New Member

Will do! Thanks for letting me know - I wasn’t sure where was the right place for an introduction.

FrostD likes this.