New member introduction!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura93, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura93

Laura93 New Member

Hi all. My name is Laura and my sugar cat is called Leo. I also have 2 non diabetics named Ringo and Missy.

Leo was diagnosed as diabetic in July of this year. I noticed his water intake had increased substantially and he lost a lot of weight. Took him to the vet for a blood test where the diabetes was confirmed. He spent a day there for a curve and he was put on 2 units of glargine 2x a day.

As I'd had such a horrible time getting his insulin shots right I was terrified of doing home glucose tests. About a week ago I decided to bite the bullet and do the test, and I'm so glad I did. His first PMPS was 6.4mmol. I skipped the shot and measured the next night and he was at 6.7. I have taken him off insulin and since then he has measured between 5.7-6.9 without shots. I'm wondering if this means I possibly have a diet controlled diabetic cat? I have noticed his water intake is increasing though despite his numbers.

For reference I use an Accu-Chek Guide. I know the tester itself isn't faulty as I've used it on myself and gotten different numbers.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Normal blood glucose numbers on a human meter are 2.8-6.7 so he's very close if he's not!

We usually consider them in remission if they can stay in normal numbers for 2 weeks without insulin (with most of the numbers under 5.6) so I'd keep testing him at least twice a day and see if he can maintain it! It's totally possible that the diet change was all he needed!

If you get a number above 6.7, go ahead and feed him and test again in about 3 hours. If the number comes down, that means the pancreas has to be doing something.

jt and trouble (GA) and Laura93 like this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome! Keep a close eye on those numbers. If they start to creep up you may need to give a tiny dose. Good thing you tested!!! 2 u was too much to start with. Good job!!!

4. Laura93

Laura93 New Member

So Leo was 6.8 before dinner and 3 hours later he is at 6.7. It's not a huge reduction but I was expecting it to be higher than it is

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB! Aren't you glad you found us? WE ARE! Like Chris and Janet said, it IS completely possible a diet change can change EVERYTHING.
    Follow their advice and feed only low carb (under 10% carbs) CANNED (wet) food and NO DRY. This will be your BEST defense against high numbers.

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY:bighug:

Theres a ton of information here with really good people to help you navigate it all

Welcome to the bast darn site on this planet to learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes!;):coffee:

jeanne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.