New Member Introduction & Concerns

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bluebell, May 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluebell

bluebell New Member

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this ends up being long and word-y as I have trouble making things clear and concise. I've been looking through the forum and educating myself on everything but there was a lot of info to retain so I'm sorry if I make some mistakes. My name is Dove, and my cat's name is Bluebell. She's 12 years old, I've had her since she was a kitten and I'll be 21 next month. I put extra info on my page. I hope it's okay if I ask for advice for myself. Since Bluebell's diagnosis, I have been struggling a lot. I am disabled related to psychiatric and physical conditions. I have definitely been prioritizing Bluebell's needs over mine. In the beginning I wasn't sleeping at all out of fear, luckily I have been able to sleep more lately. But most of my days I only have enough energy to care for her and neglect myself. I've been feeling very overwhelmed and stressed and I've been hitting some very low points. I fear that I may need to go to the hospital one day because I have no one to take care of her if I do. My partner works very long shifts and isn't home for both injection times. I would appreciate advice from people in a similar situation on how you are handling all of this. I also want to clarify that I am safe and in no danger. I also would like to clarify that I am currently out of therapy because I quit CBT to start EMDR but have not found an available EMDR therapist and am working closely with my case manager to find one. Thank you all and please let me know if this post is inappropriate.

Lando demando likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

First, the beginning of this process is completely overwhelming for everyone. I was fairly knowledgable about diabetes and was still a wreak! So, a few deep breaths. It's just as important that you take care of yourself as it much as it is that you take care of Bluebell because if you're not in a good place, she won't be either! Just as important is that this is an incredible community of caregivers and we'll help in whatever way we can.

It looks like you figured out how to set up your signature and spreadsheet. Those are great first steps.

Have you started to home test? We are very numbers dependent and, frankly, testing your cat's blood glucose (BG) is the best way to keep your kitty safe and for you to know when and how to change the dose. Very few people here rely on their vets for making dose changes. Many people here use Walmart's Relion meter. The most expensive aspect of home testing are the test strips and the Relion meter strips are among the least expensive around. We have lots of resources around home testing so let us know if you need that information.

If the information in your signature is correct, it looks like you've been prescribed Vetsulin. The American Animal Hospital Association no longer recommends Vetsulin for the treatment of feline diabetes. The insulin was originally developed for dogs (it's called Caninsulin outside of the US). Cats have a much faster metabolism and the effects of Vetsulin wear off sooner than what's desirable. It also works fast and it can drop numbers quickly. The AAHA recommends either Lantus (or one of the biosimilar/generic forms of glargine) or Prozinc for treating feline diabetes. This is a link to the paper with the AAHA guidelines. You may want to see how Bluebell does on Vetsulin but I suspect you will ultimately want to switch insulins. This is a link to our beginner's guide to Vetsulin.

It also looks like you're feeding Bluebell a dry food diet. There are only a few dry foods that are low in carbohydrates -- and the prescription dry diabetic foods are not in low in carbs. We encourage members to transition their cats to a low carb canned food diet. This is a website that discusses feline nutrition that is authored by a vet. Dr. Pierson also has a chart listing most of the canned foods that are available in the US along with nutritional information including the percent of carbs. You have a wealth of choices of foods that are less than 10% carb. Many people here feed their cat Fancy Feast pate style food (Classics). There are also Friskies varieties that are low in carbs as well as other foods that are more pricey. Most caregivers feed their cat foods that are around 5% carb.

If you switch to a canned food or any low carb food for that matter, please transition Bluebell slowly. Switching to low carb can cause a drop in blood glucose numbers. It would be helpful if you were able to home test so you can make sure Bluebell is in safe numbers.

If you've been reading on FDMB, I'm hoping you also put together a "hypo kit." This is information on hypoglycemia.

I've probably completely overwhelmed you! The one truth I can share is that this all becomes a lot easier. In fact, it will become routine.

The people here are very generous with their time and knowledge. Please let us know how we can help.

3. bluebell

bluebell New Member

Thank you for your response! I haven't yet started home testing as I'm waiting until I can get a ride to Walmart or I am thinking of maybe having the monitor delivered. She was prescribed Vetsulin at first but today got the prescription for Lantus because the assistance program I will be working with does not cover Vetsulin. I am trying to switch her to canned food as best as I can while also trying not to become frustrated when she won't eat it :( but I will be trying harder when I am able to. Thank you for the advice!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just make the transition to canned slow! The feline nutrition site that I linked has information on how to transition your cat to a canned food diet. If you look on the menu bar on the right side of the site, you'll see the link. We also have lots of suggestions for fussy cats!!

5. bluebell

bluebell New Member

Thank you so much for the resources these are very helpful and thank you for the warm welcome :cat:

6. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

Hi Bluebell and Dove, welcome to the club you never wanted to join. It is all very overwhelming at first, to be honest I felt like I was drowning. This place was like a life-preserver to me! (and my boy Hendrick)

I am pretty new as well so I just wanted to say hi and welcome. People here are great you can trust them to have your cat's best interest at heart.

bluebell likes this.
  7. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Dove and Bluebell!
    Sending lots of well wishes your way Dove! Be gentle and compassionate to yourself as well as to Bluebell. I have not faced the challenges you have had to manage, but as a single person with three senior cats, i do know the fear of getting ill ( in the covid era!) and no one being there to care for your cat. Try not to think too far into the future and take small educated steps. You can do this! Im rooting for you and the people here are generous and very experienced.
    FWIW Lando and i are coming up on one year ( well maybe over half a year ;) )managing all this! You can too

bluebell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.