New Member - In Search of Insight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JaxBenji, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! I've stumbled upon this board and attempted to plow through the information :) My cat (Jax) was diagnosed June 14, 2020 - he had no energy & wasn't eating. 2.5 weeks beforehand, his BG was around 180 at his annual vet visit (where he gets sedated, had his rabies and blood work). I've been testing since nearly the beginning but can't get a grip on his #s. Generally, his behavior is good though with these high #s, his urine output is higher for sure. As with most people here, my vet knows little to nothing and I feel like I'm on my own here so happy to find some support. Thanks for having us!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never thought you would be.
    Fantastic that you are hometesting. It is the only way to keep Jax safe.

There is a wealth of researched knowledge and experience here. Speaking of which, I'll let other, more experienced, people comment on the spreadsheet (thank you for setting it up) and the dosage. The board is a bit quiet at the moment.

The Blue Wilderness Mature is 11% carbs. This is considered the low end of medium carb.

Unregulated diabetic cats do drink a lot. It helps to clear the excess glucose out of their system through the urine.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. JaxBenji

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I have realized BW Mature is on the higher end for "low" carbs - I am trying to transition to BFF - we are currently doing half and half though he definitely likes the BW better :)

4. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi Susanne!

I cannot give you any dosing advice. Just wanted to say welcome to the board. And also, in so doing I am bumping your thread up to the top of the heap...hopefully where it will be better seen by others.:)

I'd recommend that you post your question in the Lantus (LB&L) forum to get a bit more action. The experienced Lantus people hang out there much more than the main forum.

All posts in the LB&L forum follow the same format: If you decide to post today, you would post a thread with the title: "8/22 Jax AMPS ###", where "###" is his BG number at AMPS time. You can add a "?" Prefix before the date in your title (there is a dropdown menu of prefixes...one is a "?"), and then you can tack on your question to the end of your thread title:

"8/22 Jax AMPS ###/ Need Dosing Advice Please"...something like that.

Doing this will help everyone to get to know you and Jax and hopefully be able to offer you better advice. You can ask all of the questions in your thread there for the day, and start a new thread the next day.

I'm tired. Haven't had any caffeine yet, so I sure hope this makes some kind of sense. Hope to see you and Jax in the LB&L forum soon. :cat:

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning and WELCOME! We are glad you found us. Dont worry we will get your dear Jax sorted. Its going to be ok!
    You've found a safe place to land. Everyone here strives to give ALL kitties a shot at better health and happiness!
    Keep asking questions. We love them! :bighug:
    Welcome to our family!
    jeanne

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Susanne,

Welcome to yourself and Jax. :)

I've just had a quick look at your spreadsheet and I think that the suggestion from @Butters & Lyla about posting on the LBL support group for help with dosing is the right next step. There are many very experienced Lantus users there who will be able to give you guidance and support. :)

Mogs

7. JaxBenji

Thank you so much! I made it over to the Lantus board and am learning my way around :) Here's the link!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

LOVE the Avatar. What a couple of cuties!:bighug:

JaxBenji likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.