New member, in need of help please!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Angela Weatherstein, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Angela Weatherstein

Angela Weatherstein New Member

Hello everyone, my girl was recently diagnosed at the end of Feb. As you can see from her chart, we have not had an easy road. Does it look like she is bouncing/rebounding? Can they have a mild or slightly delayed rebound? She will have a good day or two on a new dose, then go right back up to the high 300's or worse. Raise the dose a little, nadir in the low 200's. Rinse, repeat. I'm at such a loss with her, I thought it was the Vetsulin initially that was making her bounce all over the place, but it's still happening. I know it's taking a toll on her, and me as well. She is almost 12, eats FF pate, and needs to lose a pound or two... I don't know what to do. My plan was to hold her at the current dose, unless there's reason I shouldn't. I still have some hope that she may come down a bit today, as the Prozinc does seem to usually have a pretty late onset for her.

Thanks!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

One thing I see is that you are feeding Tubbs after the +6 sometimes. We don't recommend feeding after the mid-point of the cycle, unless your cat is experiencing low BG numbers. Lows would be down in the greens, <100 mg/dL.

Second thing I noticed is that you are changing the dose very frequently. Your SS says you are using the SLGS method of dosing, but you are changing the dose too frequently for that dosing method.

Have you read the "Sticky" or pinned posts at the top of this forum?

We don't dose based on the pre-shot tests, but on the nadir (lows) your cat gets during the cycle.

I'm also not seeing the late onset you are talking about. Onset is when the insulin starts working, which for most cats is around +2 or +3 with Prozinc.

3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I would say, as a novice, to hold the dose. Don't feed after the nadir (whatever her lowest BG reading is in the cycle). I don't know anything about Prozinc so can't comment. Go slow since you are new. This is a marathon and not a sprint.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi @Angela Weatherstein

With that drop to the greens, those BG numbers in the 80's, that earned Tubbs a dose reduction of 0.25U.

So a dose reduction to 1U would be appropriate, especially using the SLGS dosing method.