New Member - cat was in remission, now high numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jmharper09, Mar 15, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmharper09

jmharper09 New Member

Hello,

two years ago my cat was diagnosed diabetic. She required insulin for less than one month and went into remission. She has been doing great. I noticed yesterday she drank more water than usual and tested her sugar midday. It was around 300mg/dL (I’m in Canada and use mmol/L). I retested this morning and got the same result using the alphatrak.
    A few things: 1) my strips are expired by 9 months. 2) I’m 9 months pregnant and my husband and I had to leave my cat unexpectedly to be admitted the night before I tested her and she was left alone for 16 hours. 3) she has no other symptoms other than drinking a bunch yesterday when we got home from the hospital. She is not peeing more than usual (in fact she drank half a bowl of water yesterday when we got home and didn’t pee again until this morning which was normal size). Her appetite is good, she’s not losing weight, her behaviours are the exact same.
    The vet isnt concerned because her appetite and behaviours are normal and won’t see us to examine her for a week.
    Im wondering if this could be a stress response or if there is another explanation, or whether my strips could be giving me an inaccurate reading? Or have I just luckily caught it early enough this time before symptoms started? I want to get ahead of this again before the baby comes and I feel like that is going to be stressful on her as well. What are the chances of her going into remission again if she requires insulin a second time?
    Looking for advice, guidance, reassurance.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would be concerned with a 300, especially when you got about same BG this morning.
    How long was the vial of strips opened? Strips have both an expiration date printed on the label and another one based on how long the vial had been opened. What does the vial say about the latter?
    You can test yourself even with an AlphaTrak.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Some glucometers come with a small amount (usually 10) strips.
    What part of the country do you live in? Maybe someone is close by.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It could be stress. It could also be something medical -- the biggest reason that cats fall out of remission is that they need dental work. Any source of inflammation/infection can cause blood glucose numbers to rise.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would keep testing ( with indate strips). Better to catch early if she has fallen out of remission.
    I would push for vet to see earlier
    I’m surprised he won’t see for a week….very casual of him.
    Can you set up a SS…we can do it if you are too busy ….and start entering data.
    I agree..better to get sorted before the baby arrives.
    Some cats go back into remission and some don’t. But the sooner you get this sorted out the better the chance.
    Are you still feeding a low carb diet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.