New Member. Can I use an injection pen?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jacquie, Oct 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacquie

Jacquie New Member

Oliver was diagnosed with diabetes last week and his vet prescribed Lantus (glargine). My father is a type 2 diabetic who uses Lantus (along with a short-acting insulin). Rather than use a bottle and a syringe, he uses the injection pens where you can just dial the units and push a button to inject. Can I also use that for my cat? or is there some reason that I should use a syringe instead. Thanks!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jacquie and Oliver Welcome
    The reason we do not use the pens is because with the pens you can only dial full units
    We use U-100 syringes with half unit markings ,we increase or decrease by 0.25 units at a time so it's easier using the syringes.

I hope you are planning to home test, it's the only way to keep Oliver safe
    If you can please fill out your signature I will give you the link

Here is a link helping us to help you link. If you noticed, our members have some basic information about their cat's in their signature. This helps us to not pester you by asking the same questions (your cat's name, insulin type, date of diagnosis, etc.) repeatedly. We also have a link to our spreadsheet in our signature. We are very numbers driven. The spreadsheet is a record of your cat's progress. By linking it in your signature, we can follow along and provide feedback should you need the help.

Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classic Pate or Friskies, try and stay atv5% carbs or less
    Most FF Pates are 2 or 3%
    I will give you the link to the food chart
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Jill & Jade likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

You can get syringes with half unit markings at a Walmart. Their ReliOn Brand syringes of 0.3 cc (30 unit) capacity come with half unit markings. Cost $12.58 for a box of 100
    This is what the packaging looks like:
    [​IMG]

You can also buy them online at www.adwdiabetes.com

Jill & Jade likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Always aim for the sweet spot warm the ears up first, you can put rice in a sock and put it in the microwave, test it on the inside of your wrist to be sure it's not to hot, like you would test a babies bottle. You can fill a pill bottle with warm water and roll it on the ears also.Just keep rubbing the ears with your fingers to warm them up
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    6. As the ears get used to bleeding and grow more capilares, it gets easier to get the amount of blood you need on the first try. If he won’t stand still, you can get the blood onto a clean finger nail and test from there.
    When you do get some blood you can try milking the ear.
    Get you finger and gently push up toward the blood , more will appear
    You will put the cotton round behind his ear in case you poke your finger, after you are done testing you will fold the cotton round over his ear to stop the bleeding , press gently for about 20 seconds until it stops
    Get 26 or 28 gauge lancets
    A lot of us use the lancets to test freehand
    I find it better to see where I'm aiming

Here is a video one of our members did
    VIDEO: How to test your cat's blood sugar

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think you might be talking past each other?

You can use the pens, we just don't use the needles that go with them.we just put syringe straight into pen, in the little mesh looking area. Just be sure not to push any air into it.

7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Partway down this post is an explanation

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ah thank you lol I can't paste pictures from my phone

10. Jacquie

Jacquie New Member

Got it. Thanks for the information. I am planning to home monitor just haven't gotten the glucometer yet. Does anyone feed tiki cat? It's very low carb tho a bit expensive. Oliver won't eat pate so a lot of the cheaper low carb options don't work for him

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I have fed tiki cat, but opposite problem lol loves pates, won't touch tiki cat (I think because I fed it when he was really sick). I see lots of people here feeding it

Have you seen this list?

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can get everything you need from WalMart.
    1. Relion Premier Classic $9
    2. Premier strips $17.88/100
    3. Lancets--Relion "THIN" (not Ultra Thin or Micro Thin) $2
    4. Lancet device (optional) $6
    5. Cotton cosmetic pads (optional but nice to have....use behind ear so you don't poke your own finger and then to apply pressure after getting sample to prevent bruising) $3

You might try the Chunky chicken or Chunky turkey Fancy Feast....also, BFF (Best Feline Friend) brand has low carb, non-pate options that are usually cheaper than Tiki Cat. Weruva is another option but about the same price as Tiki.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.