New Member-Andrea (human) and Oscar (cat). Advice Wanted!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by a_rose51, Jul 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Hi all. I just got my account activated yesterday, so haven't been able to add our info to my signature and such yet, but I feel a little upset and overwhelmed this morning so I jumped here first. Oscar was diagnosed about two weeks ago and was started on 1 unit of Lantus twice daily. At first we had issues with him not eating, showing elevated liver enzymes (probably early fatty liver) and some pancreatitis, so my priority for the past two weeks has been getting him to eat anything. I have now switched him and my other boy to high protein, low carb wet food and it is going pretty well. After about a week with insulin, BG levels were still reading really high (500s), so the vet upped him to 2 units twice daily. I began testing at home with the AlphaTrak 2 (I know, but that was the one she suggested and I was so stressed I just went ahead and bought it), usually in the mornings at her request. I had been seeing morning numbers shift down a touch and he actually went into the 400s a couple times, but back to 500s yesterday. The vet called to check on his numbers and upped him to 3 units, which I did for the first time last night. This morning, he read higher than I've ever seen at 644! I'm freaking out a little after finally feeling slightly hopeful, so if anyone has experienced this, I would love to know. Or I would love to know how to handle it. I work everyday until Sunday, so can't do too much more testing, though I can get a midday reading and maybe an evening, since I know more numbers will probably help. I'll get a chart setup tonight, but would appreciate any information in the meantime. Thanks in advance!

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

You're going WAY too fast with the insulin.
    Don't do more than raise dose in 0.25U each time.
    Higher numbers can be explained by bouncing, he has been too low - might not have been dangerously low, but too low for him, and that makes his BG high.

Test every single time before you give insulin, and at least one in between, and yes that also during the night. That's the absolute minimum for safety.

@Bandit's Mom

3. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Okay, that's what I was worried about. I'll cut back to maybe 1.5 units and see where that takes us. I wish that was the directions I was getting from the vet. Any suggestions for getting the ear prick done without him squirming around?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would go back to 1 unit twice a day and buy a bottle of Ketostix and test the urine daily foe ketones.
    Test before every shot and feed him before or while you are giving the insulin. Are you leaving out some food foe him to eat during the cycle while you are at work?
    Give him a treat while you are doing the ear prick.

5. a_rose51

a_rose51 Member

Will do 1 unit again. I ordered some strips so will test ketones as soon as I can catch him. I do feed him while he gets his insulin. I leave a little food out but also come home midday and feed them a fresh meal. I will try the treat thing, though I have a devil of a time trying to get him to eat diabetic friendly treats (freeze-dried meat).

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

You can cook up some chicken breast (roast, fry or grill) then cut up into small /tiny pieces and represent and use as treats.
    Make sure you are testing daily for ketones while the BGs are high…and until we can see how the lower dose of insulin goes. …it’s a good insurance policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.