New member 8/30/20

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nona k, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nona k

Nona k New Member

my name is Nona cats name is harley. He has had diabetes for a couple of years. In the last 3 weeks he is just ravenous all the time, crying for food constantly and if he can't get food he drinks water. Don't know why he has suddenly changed.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Nona and Harley! We are so glad you found us. It sounds like Harleys needs with insulin have changed. Can you tell us what kind of insulin hes been prescribed? I'm sure we can help you get some answers for for you.
    Please start here and then come back with more questions ok?
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Dont worry Sundays are notoriously slow here so try to be patient with us. You HAVE landed in a safe place for Harley.
    WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY!:bighug:
    jeanne

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello Nona and Harley!

The biggest way we can help diabetic cats is by the caregiver home-testing the blood sugar daily, and sharing those numbers with us. Those numbers tell us exactly what is going on every day, otherwise we have no way of guessing what the issue is. Are you by chance testing Harley and have any test numbers to share? Like Jeanne said, it sounds like needs a different amount of insulin.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Nona,

It sounds like Harley's BG numbers may have gone higher for some reason. A common reason why BG levels may get higher is infection, common ones being urinary tract and dental issues. I suggest you arrange a vet check up for Harley so that you can identify and treat any issues.

Because he may be in a much higher BG range at the moment, as a safety precaution I recommend that you check his urine daily for ketones. If the test shows anything more than 'trace' then urgent veterinary treatment is needed to make sure that it doesn't progress to DKA. Here is more information for you:

Testing Your Cat for Ketones

Tips for Collecting Urine Samples

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.