New member - 3 months & numbers still high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by frizzbean, Apr 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frizzbean

frizzbean New Member

Hello all. Thank you to everyone that posts on this board. I have learned so much here since Vivian was diagnosed in January 22. I really appreciate all the information and shared experience. It has been a learning experience but we are getting through it so far, but Viv's numbers are still high after 3 months, which is the reason for my post.
    My profile details Vivian's life with us. She is fed on schedule twice a day - gets 5oz Friskies Pate between 6-7 AM & PM . Shot is given 1/2 hour after she eats and she gets 3oz of Tiki Cat between noon & 1pm. She started on Lantus 2/1/22 at 2U and is now at 3-1/2U 2x a day. I do not test her during the week unless I feel she isn't acting right but I do a curve each weekend and her numbers are in the spreadsheet. I feel there has been very little change for the 3 months that she has been on insulin. I know ECID but most of the posts I've read seem to show less time to get readings to consistently be down to the 200-300 range.
    I'm beginning to suspect that there is more going on than just diabetes and/or she was diabetic long before it was diagnosed and alot of damage was done that may make it impossible to get her regulated. She is still ravenously hungry and always hoovering the floor looking for any crumbs, still pees outside the box several times a week and her numbers have not been below 250, usually in the 300s. Will be sending the past 2 weeks curves to the vet & would imagine she will once again increase Viv's insulin dosage.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Frizz

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Frizz and Vivian and welcome to the forum.
    Great you have set up the spreadsheet and signature and are testing the BGs.

Several ways we can help you
    • I would offer a couple of snacks during every cycle ( Am and pm cycles).They can be just the normal low carb food you normally feed. A couple of teaspoons each time. If you are not there, an automatic timed feeder will do the job. Also feed during the pm cycles.
    • You can give the shot immediately after the food is given with Lantus. There is no need to wait 30 minutes.
    • I would strongly recommend you test before every dose is given. You have no idea if the BG is low or high and if you give the insulin when the BG is low, Vivian could be in trouble. You are just lucky it hasn’t happened yet.
    • Try and get some tests in during the cycles to see how low the dose is taking Vivian as Lantus is dosed On the nadir not the preshot BG.
    • It is great you are doing curves but that does not tell us what is going on during the other 6 days. And believe me….a lot can go on. We don’t know if those curves are being taken during bounce days or not. Bounces happen when the BG drops too low, too fast or lower than the cat is used to.
    • Don’t neglect the pm cycle. It is just as important as the am cycle and cats often drop lower at night.
    • We recommend increasing in 1/4 unit markings so you don’t go past the best dose and it is safer for the cat.
    If you make those changes, we will be able to see a lot more and be able to help you with getting Vivian sorted out.
    She is still hungry because the BGs are too high and her body cannot absorb all the nutrients in the food. That will improve as the BGs go down. In the meantime give her more food in the form of snacks. My kitty was the same…always hungry but when I changed to feeding more often she was a different cat….much happier and not looking for food all the time.
    Just read her profile……..will she let you add some warm water to all the food? Just a teaspoon each snack and meal will make a difference. Has she been checked again for a UTI? Some diabetic cats do pee outside the box, especially when unregulated.
    Keep asking lots of questions. It is great you have joined us and are trying to help Vivian….lucky girl.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome as Bron said you need to be testing every day AMPS and PMPS you'll never know if that's going to be the day she how's hypo.
    We don't increase by half units , we adjust the doses by 0.25 units
    Do you have the U-100 syringes with the half unit markings?
    If not I will post where to get them below
    You definitely need to testing at night and get some tests after that
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product/1316/surecomfort-u100-syringes-half-unit-31g-3-10cc-5-16in-100ct
    [​IMG]
    10% off your next order!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  4. frizzbean

frizzbean New Member

Thanks for your replies. I will start testing Viv AMPS and PMPS. Can do some evening tests til 10:30 - I feed her when I get home from work around 6:30 and shot 1/2 hour after that so will get maybe 2-3 tests in after that. Doing the shot 1/2 hour after feeding works well for us as Viv just charges for her food & gets very cranky if you mess with her while eating so I don't want to try giving her a shot at the same time. This also gives time for the other cats to eat while she is separate. I always add water to all of the cats' wet food. Will give her some snacks - I'm sure that will make her a happier cat! Yes, I have U100 syringes with 1/2 unit markings - local Walgreens has them at a good price. She was checked for a UTI on 4/2 and did not have one & no ketones.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it all goes. Will look forward to seeing more data on the SS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.