New Member 03/16/24, Weight Maintenance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Loki, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

Hi! I can’t figure out how to change my name, I didn’t see the suggestion to have kitty’s name with mine until after registration. [Edit: Got this fixed! Thanks Diane.]
    My diabetic boy is Loki, an 11 year old Maine Coon cross. He’s done a total 180 since starting insulin 8 months ago!
    I test his BSL at home, and he just recently got bumped up to 3 IU twice a day.
    I have his diet controlled. He tends to eat smaller amounts more frequently so I portion his dry food (Crave) daily to ensure I don’t overfeed. He also gets wet (Weruva canned) in the evening.
    He’s bulking back up nicely. He spent a long time overweight, then got pretty skinny and stayed there until diagnosed. Now I’m wondering what healthy weight might be for him. I don’t think we’ve reached it yet but we’re close. I’ll check in with his vet on Monday but I look forward to hearing what y’all say!
    I wish I’d known about this forum months ago. What a wonderful thing.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

click on your username in the upper right (next to Inbox and Alerts), then go to Personal Details. At the very bottom on the left, under Advanced Options, is the option to Change Username. It only lets you do this once every 90 days. Hope this helps! :)

Kris & Loki likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Kris & Loki
    About his weight
    What did the vet say is ideal weight should be
    A good rule of thumb is 20x ideal weight
    Example
    So if his ideal weight is 10 lbs
    10 x 20 = 200 calories a day

Kris & Loki likes this.
  4. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

They open again on Monday so I’ll call first thing.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Kris & Loki likes this.
  6. Kris & Loki

Kris & Loki Member

I would say he's at ideal weight, judging from my own knowledge of him and this infograph. When he was first diagnosed with diabetes, he weighed in at 8lbs flat. He's now 9.8 lbs and a happy, soft fur boy :)
    Thanks for sharing.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.