New here with Kirby

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Monalyssa33, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monalyssa33

Monalyssa33 New Member

Hey there! My parents' cat, Kirby, was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday. Because my parents have been essentially neglecting him, I've decided to not return him to them. I have 3 cats aside from Kirby (Maisie, Remy and Flora) so this is quite a transition for all of us. I haven't given him insulin yet because I messed up yesterday and don't think I actually injected it into him (a lot was in his fur) and didn't want to do it again in case I actually had.

I guess my biggest concerns are how to afford taking care of him. His insulin cost $300 from the human pharmacy and I definitely can't maintain that price for long.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to you and Kirby! Thanks for being Kirby's advocate.

A bit of help -- what insulin are you giving Kirby? We may be able to help you source insulin at a lower price but we need to know what you're using. (I'm sort of assuming you're using Lantus and if this is the case, there are options!)

There are also a few other things that will be helpful to consider. Number one is diet. In order to maximize Kirby's chances for remission (and yes, diabetic cats can go into remission), he will do best on a low carb, canned food diet. Actually, all of your cats will do best on the same food as Kirby. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not need all of the fruits and veggies that are often added to cat food. Lisa Pierson, DVM has an excellent website on feline nutrition along with a chart of canned foods available in the US along with information on the carbohydrate count.

We also strongly encourage members to home test. Insulin is not a trivial drug and too much can cause a symptomatic hypoglycemic event. By home testing, you can monitor your cat's response to insulin and know if you need to intervene as well as when to adjust your cat's dose. Since most cats are stressed at the vet's office, reading that are taken there are often artificially elevated due to stress. As a result, the vet increases the dose and your cat is at risk for numbers bottoming out. We have lots of information, including videos on home testing and the members here will offer lots of suggestions. Vets will often suggest you purchase a pet specific meter. They are good meters but the strips are pricey. Many people here use a human meter -- often the Walmart Relion brand meter.

I'm also including a link on helping us to help you. There's information on materials you should have on hand, setting up your signature, and setting up a spreadsheet.

Sorry for all of the links and extra reading. There's a lot to know and it is overwhelming at the beginning. It will become routine in a surprisingly short period of time. Please let us know if your have questions.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sienne is 100% right! Are you in the US? If it’s Lantus the pen typically costs about $100 at a human pharmacy without discounts. Gold RX can get it cheaper. But most of us order out Lantus from Mark’s Pharmacy in Canada and it’s about $189 for 5 pens with shipping included in that price (I think shipping is about $25 so the pens are only about $164 which is an incredible deal!)

https://rxcanada4less.com/index.html

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Mona...? To the best darn place on this planet to learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes!
    You HAVE landed in a safe place for Kirby and we CAN help with all your concerns.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

This will show us at a glance all Kirby's particulars
    CREATING A FDMB PROFILE

Welcome to our family:bighug:
    jeanne

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.