New foods from Lily's Kitchen (UK)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tom & Monty, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Hey there, friends. Lily's Kitchen has launched two new lines of wet cat food and a few of them are appropriate for diabetic cats.

See my constituent analysis here.

The following varieties are options for diabetic cats (under 5% carbs):

• Tasty Cuts in Gravy Chicken & Salmon

The following are between 5 and 10% carbs and might be appropriate if served with lower carb food or used as a medium carb snack:

• Tasty Cuts in Gravy Chicken
    • Chicken with Ham Shredded Fillets
    • Tuna with Salmon Shredded Fillets

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, Tom. I'll take a look at those and add them to the UK list. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

It looks like we have a different value calculated for dry mass carbohydrates for Lily's Kitchen Tasty Cuts in Gravy (Chicken) - I have 5% and you have 3.8%. How are you calculating that?

I've used:

Carbohydrates = 100 - 9.5 (protein) - 5.5 (fat) - 82 (moisture) - 0.1 (fibre) - 2 (ash) = 0.9%

Dry mass carbs = 0.9% / (100 - 82% (moisture)) = 5%.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Tom, I've calculated on a 'percentage of calories' basis, not 'dry matter' basis. I usually use a spreadsheet for that (made by someone else, not me, I'm not techy!). But this online calculator does the job quickly too:
    https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/_gaconverter/index.php

Eliz

5. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

OK thanks for sharing, looks like our difference comes from the fact that a gram of protein, fat and carbs provide a different number of calories.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  6. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Cheers for that Tom, I have been wondering what do we have in the Uk as a godd medium Carb. I have been using the left over hills can but really didn't want to buy more, so they do not get the impression we like their formulation!

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Elizabeth and Bertie

For pet foods a 'modified Atwater factor' is used.
    So the calculation goes like this...
    Multiply protein and carb percentages by 3.5, and fat by 8.5, and that gives you the calories of each per 100g.
    Add those together to get total calories per 100g.
    Divide calories from carbs per 100g by total calories per 100g, then multiply by 100 to get the percentage of calories from carbs.

....Or just use the calculator in the link... Much quicker, hehe! :)

8. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Karen, these days I usually just turn a bit of low carb food into medium carb by adding some Glucogel to a very small amount of ordinary food. ...I did this initially as a 'one off' when I didn't have medium carb food in the house. But I found it worked so well that I now use this method every time I need something a bit higher carb. It has the advantage that I can control how carby I make the food, whether a situation calls for one drop, two drops, or even half a teaspoonful. I just make a note in the 'remarks' on the SS about how much I added to which food, so I know I can repeat that in a similar situation. And because the carb source is a simple sugar it also has the advantage of wearing off relatively quickly, unlike some foods that contain complex carbs.
    [​IMG]

...BTW, it has been my intention for a while (because a few people have asked for it) to put together a short list of medium carb foods as and when they cross my radar. And when that happens I'll add those to the UK info in my signature.

Eliz

Critter Mom and Hercule's mum like this.
  9. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this tip! This is a briiliant solution as I always end up opening cans of food with higher carb, take a spoonful and the rests ends up in the bin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.