New & Embarking on this Adventure

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Coco’s Momma, Jul 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Hi all -
    My 8yo female Coco was diagnosed last month. The vet recommended Hill's w/d kibble or wet (not happening for obvious reasons) twice a day. [Side note: Coco is a picky eater and has had Hill's dry kibble her whole life - I am not her original owner]. We are transitioning to wet food. In the grand scheme of things I feel it's the most important to controlling diabetes. It's just a matter of finding something nutritious she likes with a low carb content. And bless her - she is a picky diva!!
    She is also used to grazing throughout the day and doesn't eat much at a time. So it's been a real challenge for her to adjust to regulated feeding times. I like the idea of 3-4 small meals a day.
    Once we have Coco's food and schedule down, then I feel we can address her weight. She's almost 12 pounds and should be closer to 9-10 pounds.
    I keep telling myself baby steps, but some days it's overwhelming.
    Regards, Kerri & Coco

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Kerri & Coco!

Coco’s Momma likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. Coco can continue to graze all day on wet food as long as you pick it up 2 hours before shot time testing.

beggargirl and Coco’s Momma like this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Coco’s Momma likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Kerri and Coco. It sounds like you are up to the challenge of taking good care of Coco. There is a food chart that you can look through here on the board to check out the carb, protein, fat, phosphorus percentages and the calorie content that might help with your food selections. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dr-pierson-new-food-chart.174147/page-2#post-2213517
    You might want to check out catinfo.org by Dr. Lisa Pierson, who created the food chart. Very interesting reading. You can post your questions and concerns in the Main Health Forum, so that more eyes will see and be able to respond. Main Health Forum Link
    Once there you can ask questions about feeding Coco and tell us more about her and your experience with her.

Jill & Jade and Coco’s Momma like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Coco’s Momma likes this.
  7. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

Aww - thanks for the warm welcome! I am so thankful to have found the forum. It’ll make Coco’s health much easier to handle knowing I’m not alone in this.

JanetNJ, beggargirl and Sharon14 like this.
  8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

No, you are absolutely not alone. One thing I will mention is that it is very useful for new members to create a signature, this is info on your kitteh that displays with every post, saving you repeating info and others asking you to repeat. Here is a link about making the signature: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/
    Actually now I see that you made one, with Kerri M as content. The link will give you ideas for content that will help us help you and Coco. She's a sweet looking baby!

Coco’s Momma likes this.
  9. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome, @Coco's Momma. I started following you because both our babies are on Novolin N. Bama has recently transitioned from mostly dry to all wet. Hope you have found something your sweetie will like.

Coco’s Momma likes this.
  10. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Nope, not alone by a long shot! This is the best possible forum you could have found, these folks have saved my cat's life ( literally). Best wishes to you and your fur baby!!

Coco’s Momma and Idjit's mom like this.
  11. Coco’s Momma

Coco’s Momma Member

So far we're having pretty good luck with Merrick brand duck pate and Purina Pro Plan turkey/giblet pate. Just trying to find good deals on it because a case of 24 will not last too long!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.