New diagnosis - stabilisation period?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Emily & Jack Jack, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Emily & Jack Jack

Emily & Jack Jack New Member

Hello,

I was wondering how long it usually takes for BG to stabilise and be within the normal range after treatment has started.

My cat Jack was diagnosed on 9.9.19 (confirmed by a fructosamine test), on the 10.9.19 he went into the vets for the day to have a glucose curve done:
    8am - 37.6mmol
    10am - 36.9mmol (gave 1IU of prozinc)
    11:30am - 26.4mmol
    1pm - 27.6mmol
    2:30pm -17.4mmol
    4pm - 28.5mmol
    5:30pm - 23.5mmol

He started on 1IU of prozinc insulin twice a day after food at 6am and 6pm.

On the 27.09.19 he went back into the vets for a check up, his glucose was 23.7mmol at 08:30am, they also did another Fructosamine and then upped his insulin to 2IU of prozinc twice a day.

Today (10.10.19) we went back to the vets to pick up his glucometer I ordered (alphatrak) and his glucose at 11:15am was 33.2mmol
    (the vet nurse also checked how I gave the injections to ensure I am doing it correctly - which I am :))

His glucose is higher than I thought it would be, its been just over 4 weeks now since he started his insulin injections, so I thought he would have stabilised by now? or I thought his BG would be lower than this?
    I am going to do a glucose curve either tomorrow or on Sunday.

How long does it normally take for BG to stabilise?

Thank you
    Emily
    (now I have the glucometer I am also going to try and set up the spreadsheet)

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

There is not really a normal - it varies by cat. There are a lot of factors involved. Now that you have a meter and are going to set up a spreadsheet, you will be able to begin gathering data to help determine what is going on.

I just want to mention that 1 unit is a large increase. It is normally recommended here that increases be in 1/4 unit increments. Jumping by whole units can result in 'zooming past' the optimal dose.