New cat, 504 amps

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Becca and Murs, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

How is he at 504 this morning?!?!

I haven't posted in a few years since my cat Murs went into remission. Now I'm back with a new cat I began fostering yesterday. He was diagnosed January 19th. He's on vetsulin and eats Friskies and Fancy Feast pate. I checked on him a few times in the middle of the night when I got up to pee, and he seemed perfectly fine.

He was a community cat a wonderful woman took to the vet and that's when he was diagnosed. She found me in another group and reached out.

Sheet 1 is the one I made and the 2nd tab is a link to his old spreadsheet his rescuer used.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Becca – you will get more eyes on Mikey's spreadsheet if you post in the Health Forum.

Thank you for fostering Mikey. :bighug:

Becca and Murs likes this.
  3. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

Thanks! I actually think it was a bad strip because he stayed steady in the 300s the rest of the day. I'm going to update his spreadsheet link. The current one that's there isn't working right.

5. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi. Thanks for taking this guy and helping him. Any chance of getting him switched to a more appropriate insulin for a cat like Lantus or ProZinc?

7. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

I would much rather have him on Lantus (or Prozinc). The shelter uses Vetsulin though, and once he's stable and regulated, he'll be going there. I've talked to them before about switching to Lantus, but they get Vetsulin for super cheap through their vet. They have another diabetic cat there. I know it's not ideal, but I can't keep him long-term and this is the best option.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

So he will be going into a shelter when he leaves your house? And their plan is to try to get him adopted?

9. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

Yes, once he's stable, he'll be going to the shelter. The goal is for him to get adopted one day (fingers crossed!)

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Good job with the increase tonight. I was just checking in on his spreadsheet to see how things are going. I hope you will see some better numbers soon. How’s he doing otherwise?

11. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

Awww Thanks for checking on him! He's doing pretty good. Still not a whole lot of energy, but I'm sure that'll get better once he's regulated. Otherwise doing well though (eating, drinking, normal size pees, etc).

So good news!! Yesterday, I was able to convince the shelter to switch to ProZinc!! Hopefully I'll get it in the next few days. I told them once this kitty is regulated, I'll foster their other diabetic cat and get him transitioned over too! I'm so relieved!

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh my gosh that’s just the best news! You will be able to do much better for him on ProZinc! And the other cat too! If I can do anything to help you, or just to talk, you can usually find me over on the ProZinc forum as a matter of fact. Let me know how it goes! Way to go!

13. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

So PMPS was "HI" ugh. I used two strips because I thought the first one was wrong, but nope. He seems fine but may be getting a URI. Ketones with Nova Max Plus was 0.6, but the strips expired August 2023. At +2, his BG is down to 446.

I should hopefully be getting ProZinc tomorrow.

14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Good to see he's come down from the HI but he is coming down a little fast. We know HI is at least 600 on the Relion, so he's dropped at least 154 points in 2 hours which could set him up to bounce high again tomorrow.

Please go ahead and post in the Main forum. This one doesn't have very many people who check it but Main Health will have a lot more eyes looking out for you.

Post the link to this thread in your message on the Main health forum so it's easy for people to go back and see what's been going on and what advice you've already gotten.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

I was taking a look at Mikey’s spreadsheet since he started ProZinc. I would increase his dose this morning to 1.75 units and hold it for 6 cycles and see if he needs another increase. I hope Mikey is feeling at least somewhat better?

16. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

Thanks so much for checking on him and giving advice! I'll increase this morning. Hopefully that'll at least get him into the 200s for once.

He went to the vet on Friday for blood work, and we should have those results back today. When his rescuer took him to the vet when he was first diagnosed, he also had anemia. Hopefully the anemia has resolved!

He's on antibiotics, which is causing diarrhea and nausea, so last night I started him on Metamucil, Proviable, Cerenia, and Zofran (I basically have a pharmacy at home lol). Hopefully he'll feel better today.

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh wow. That’s a lot of meds. Is he on Clavamox? If so, there are other more gut friendly antibiotics (if any antibiotic can be considered gut-friendly, right?!!). What kind of infection is being treated?

18. Becca and Murs

Becca and Murs Member

He's on doxycycline. He has URI symptoms. He was also prescribed doxycycline when he was first diagnosed because that vet thought his anemia was caused by a blood parasite (I'm assuming he meant mycoplasma), but no tests were done so who knows. Hopefully his anemia is gone now though and we don't have to worry about that!! Fingers crossed!!